Heyman: Teams calling O's for Markakis, Jones, Reynolds and Hardy

JTrea81

Ironically AM brought in three of these players in trades and can probably get more now then what he gave up for them. So I am going to go out on a limb and say AM has done more than a few things right.

I don't disagree ...But surely he needs to view the glass as less than half empty at this point. hopefully a late season hot streak that hurt the Orioles draft slot by two or three positions doesn't have him hood winked to the point where he'd keep guys like Johnson and Hardy and call them "untouchable". Im certainly hoping he is just bluffing to up the ante.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wondering about how much do you think Baltimore would have to eat and would it be worth it long term if someone like Dom Brown would be coming back in that package? Or would someone like Singleton or Cosart potentially be the main attraction of a deal?

I think you could potentially get Brown and one of Cosart/Colvin/May. Would probably need to get his contract down to around $11-12 million for 2013/14. Would probably have to happen soon enough that Philly can benefit from neg year's lesser salary. Though Brown is a better player right now, I think Singleton works out better from a timing standpoint (arriving around 2013/14). The "now" value of Markakis would fill a need for Philly while they have their big arms in place. Hamels has one year or arb left (I believe), Oswalt an option. Lee and Halladay are around for several more years.

Is it worth paying a sub 3.0 fWAR player an average of $14 million per season for the next three years when he's likely hit his peak?

I'd rather give that money to a difference maker.

Spending money on non-premium guys is the problem this franchise has and Markakis just doesn't bring enough to the table to justify his salary IMO. His defense has declined with his bat and he's not a leader in the clubhouse. He's a complementary piece but not somebody you build around.

This is hilarious.. Chone Figgins says hi. You were all about signing him. Oddly his career high OPS+ is Markakis's career OPS+ (including this year).

Chone Figgins is the very definition of "non-premium guy". Strangely you wanted him signed nonetheless.

This is hilarious.. Chone Figgins says hi. You were all about signing him. Oddly his career high OPS+ is Markakis's career OPS+ (including this year).

Chone Figgins is the very definition of "non-premium guy". Strangely you wanted him signed nonetheless.

The Fan ran down a list of what Trea would have referred to as "premium talent" the other day, showing how most high priced free agents don't live up to their potential. Here are just a few off the top of my head that they discussed who would have destroyed the Orioles...

Dunn, Werth, Figgins, Lackey, Manny are ones who cost HIGH dollar and have sucked. Then there's guys like Crawford and Burnett who are doing okay but not living up to their contract. There were many more names they listed from the past few years, basically showing that the high dollar signings often times become albatrosses for the team that signs them.

Your arrogance is mind boggling. Tell me why you would trade one of the best CFs in all of baseball? Who is inconsistent? He is having an outstanding year and may win a second gold glove.

1) He isn't having an outstanding year.

2) He should only win the GG if Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder are doing the voting.

Defensively... Who would you replace Adam Jones with in CF and what kind of defensive year is that particular player having compared to Jones?

Hopefully the O's get back a CF in another trade. Otherwise Felix Pie is your starting CF. And CF stands for things other than center fielder.

Defensively... Who would you replace Adam Jones with in CF and what kind of defensive year is that particular player having compared to Jones?

Who cares? We are 36-57, the question should be, will Adam Jones extend and if so, for what price? If he is asking for his contract to be based mostly on upside then you deal him as contracts should be more about performance than upside. I am not saying that upside should be ignored, but a lot of the really great players seem to have it right away. I look at Jones and see a risk. His defensive metrics are not good this season, but he makes the amazing plays with the best of them. Based on performance, he is a guy we overate. At this point I think the Orioles are going down a path where they become expensive by extended the same players that are part of the last few losing teams. These guys are not getting any younger and will not be cheap. I think the Orioles are going to need to move them or add an additional $25M-$30M to the current payroll and hope things work out.

Hopefully the O's get back a CF in another trade. Otherwise Felix Pie is your starting CF. And CF stands for things other than center fielder.

Again, we have so many holes that the only way to get better and compete is to fill two holes by making one.

The Fan ran down a list of what Trea would have referred to as "premium talent" the other day, showing how most high priced free agents don't live up to their potential. Here are just a few off the top of my head that they discussed who would have destroyed the Orioles...

Dunn, Werth, Figgins, Lackey, Manny are ones who cost HIGH dollar and have sucked. Then there's guys like Crawford and Burnett who are doing okay but not living up to their contract. There were many more names they listed from the past few years, basically showing that the high dollar signings often times become albatrosses for the team that signs them.

You know what Dip, it isn't so much that Trea's philosophy is to spend whatever it takes to get whoever is available each year.. I disagree with that strategy but hey to each their own. It is when he makes stupid statements about simply waiving Markakis because he is "non-premium talent" on one hand but he pushes hard to sign someone like Figgins on the other. I wonder if Trea would be looking to waive Figgins had AM taken Trea's advice and signed him. I am guessing he would be getting a longer leash.

You know what Dip, it isn't so much that Trea's philosophy is to spend whatever it takes to get whoever is available each year.. I disagree with that strategy but hey to each their own. It is when he makes stupid statements about simply waiving Markakis because he is "non-premium talent" on one hand but he pushes hard to sign someone like Figgins on the other. I wonder if Trea would be looking to waive Figgins had AM taken Trea's advice and signed him. I am guessing he would be getting a longer leash.

I actually think Trea has some valid points at times, but I can't get behind waiving Markakis due to a lack of value. Markakis was worth a combined 12.6 WAR over the 2006-2008 seasons. His 2008 WAR of 6.3 was better than the WAR of his 2009, 2010 and half of 2011 seasons combined as he has only been worth 6.3 WAR over that time span. In that same time span Johnny Damon has been worth 6.9! Considering Markakis' defensive reputation I find it shocking that a guy like Damon at the age of 35-37 has had more value over the last 2.5 years. Markakis is 10 years his junior and considered to be in his prime years at this point.

While I agree JTrea has not been consistent in some respects here, I don't think any poster here isn't allowed to change his mind about an approach. We all learn things and modify our previously stated views over time. At least, most of us do. And if Markakis were playing better, we're probably not having this conversation. But there's a big difference between the somewhat disappointing play of Markakis and the factors that led, say, the Blue Jays to waive Rios.

I'm not so sure I trust MacPhail or the scouts on the trades. I really have my doubts about our ability to get value in return. With the O's being as horrible as they have been for the last decade, I'm sure no GM out there will give up more than expected. They know we are hurting and aren't going to go overboard to make us feel better.

You keep saying this and it makes no sense. Hate on AM all you want, but getting value back in trades is the one thing at which he has been consistently excellent.

I think you could potentially get Brown and one of Cosart/Colvin/May. Would probably need to get his contract down to around $11-12 million for 2013/14. Would probably have to happen soon enough that Philly can benefit from neg year's lesser salary. Though Brown is a better player right now, I think Singleton works out better from a timing standpoint (arriving around 2013/14). The "now" value of Markakis would fill a need for Philly while they have their big arms in place. Hamels has one year or arb left (I believe), Oswalt an option. Lee and Halladay are around for several more years.

Thanks as always for the insight.

While I agree JTrea has not been consistent in some respects here, I don't think any poster here isn't allowed to change his mind about an approach. We all learn things and modify our previously stated views over time. At least, most of us do. And if Markakis were playing better, we're probably not having this conversation. But there's a big difference between the somewhat disappointing play of Markakis and the factors that led, say, the Blue Jays to waive Rios.

I agree Frobby, everyone is allowed to change their minds. IMO, that is not what is going on in this case.

Archived