We should release Pie

Slappy

A lot? No it doesn't. Just enough to say that Pie shouldn't be DFA'd when the roster expands in a month and the O's are out of contention. If he remains on the roster he may be one of the few guys the O's don't want to keep that might be valued by another team.

Filler is filler...not something you need to stockpile. Maybe he gets claimed if we DFA him, but he's doing us no good off the bench. If he can (and will) start full-time at Norfolk and get his act together, great. If not...sometimes when your pockets are full of spare change you stop picking up every penny you see on the sidewalk.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same as Hoey, Jacobsen and Mickolio last winter. Their value was all zero as far as the O's were concerned. But to other teams whose first interest was to dump a salary (Hardy or Reynolds) and whose second priority was be get something, anything in return, Pie could have value. I can easily see Pie in the class with these three guys that helped the O's acquire two under 30 year old valuable players.

The big difference is that Pie is arbitration-eligible, whereas those guys were not.

In any event, Andy MacPhail probably has a much better idea than you or I do as to whether Pie retains any value as a trade chip, so no use arguing the point. If Andy thinks he has some possible trade value, then he will probably hold on to him and just let Angle get a look-see 4 weeks from now when rosters expand.

After showing some signs of development last year, I was among those who thought that Pie would continue to develop. Every indication was that he had the tools to do so. Now, I think it's pretty obvious that every aspect of his game has regressed beyond the point of redemption. I don't know why the improvement stopped, but it has.

As for Reimold, and I wish Showalter would just put him in LF the last two months of the season and see what happens. But my concern is that what we are seeing now is what we will continue to see. It appears that Reimold might be slipping into that same category as Pie, but for a different reason.....because he has already peaked and is at the to of his ability level right now.

I have no doubt that we will see a new, but familiar, face in LF next year via an off-season FA signing or trade.

The big difference is that Pie is arbitration-eligible, whereas those guys were not.

In any event, Andy MacPhail probably has a much better idea than you or I do as to whether Pie retains any value as a trade chip, so no use arguing the point. If Andy thinks he has some possible trade value, then he will probably hold on to him and just let Angle get a look-see 4 weeks from now when rosters expand.

Well we agree.......for the most part......except that as long as Pie makes sustantially less then the guy he is traded for...........it doesn't matter if he is arbitration eligible.

Pie's not a very good player. His only atribute is his bat, and that has disappeared. Its almost embarrassing Pie's still on the team getting AB's.

It's funny, because all of his supporters claimed his defense was superior in the OF than our other options.... Not pointing any fingers but if someone would like to defend themselves I'd love to laugh in their face.

It's funny, because all of his supporters claimed his defense was superior in the OF than our other options.... Not pointing any fingers but if someone would like to defend themselves I'd love to laugh in their face.

Most of the defense supporters are based on his time in center. Out there he seemed better than Jones.

In his limited playing time in LF he looks rough. Very rough.

With his hitting regression......it might be related to the loss of Crowley. Crowley worked and worked on this guy in 09 and he had an amazing two month run. Not so much now.

Most of the defense supporters are based on his time in center. Out there he seemed better than Jones.

In his limited playing time in LF he looks rough. Very rough.

With his hitting regression......it might be related to the loss of Crowley. Crowley worked and worked on this guy in 09 and he had an amazing two month run. Not so much now.

Not that he hasn't further regressed this season but how does your Crowley theory explain his 718 OPS last season? You hit the nail on the head, he had an amazing two month run in '09.

In 2233 innings as an OF over 5 seasons(less than 500 innings a year, when a full season is about 1200 innings) he is an average per year projected of +7 RS/yr Rtot, as an OF, -4 Rtot/yr LF; +18 CF, +59 RF. Adam Jones in comparison has 4689 innings as an OF with and average RS Rtot/yr of +1, +1 CF(4546 innings)-8 LF. -30 RF. So Jones has played twice as many innings as Felix, almost all of them as a CF and is a +1 RS per yr CF to Felix' +18 RS. Felix has clearly struggled in LF with fewer innings per year at that position. But he is a far better defensive CF, even with fewer innings there.

All it would take is an injury to Adam Jones, and he's had one every year of his career so far.

He didn't miss any significant time last year (149 games played). I think the point is that if Pie is a good CF and a poor LF, that doesn't help us much, because Pie isn't going to play a lot of CF.

He didn't miss any significant time last year (149 games played). I think the point is that if Pie is a good CF and a poor LF, that doesn't help us much, because Pie isn't going to play a lot of CF.
But if he is a good CF he has trade value . Also He's never had a full season at any position.

But if he is a good CF he has trade value . Also He's never had a full season at any position.

I don't know if his defensive skills in CF give him trade value or not. I'm not disputing you; I simply don't know. His abysmal hitting performance this year, and the fact that his defensive skills don't seem to translate to LF, make his value pretty limited IMO.

I wish things had turned out better for Pie. While you are right that he has never gotten a lengthy chance to play full-time, he really hasn't done anything to earn that chance, either. He was pretty dynamic in that one stretch in the summer of 2009, and we saw a few brief flashes in 2010, but he never has really played well over a sustained period, and hasn't been able to adapt to a part-time role.

Archived