Was it bad form to celebrate the way we did?

ChaosLex

Was it bad form to celebrate the way we did?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Was it bad form to celebrate the way we did?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reveling in the misfortunes of others is not a trait I admire, which would be to say that I don't admire a lot of the individuals who have posted in this thread.

Spare us the pompous hypocrisy. In a sports victory, how does one differentiate when someone is "reveling in the misfortunes of others" versus celebrating a win? Philosophically and morally, are they doing one or the other or both? Now, if you want to call out Andino for being over the top in "how" he behaved himself, that's different. But anyone who thinks the O's had no business on the field would/should be opposed to all on-field victory celebrations -- not just ones where they prevented an arch-rival from reaching the playoffs.

Bull****, and a simplistic overstatement. I didn't personally like how Andino carried himself on the field, or in his interviews. But it's nothing I'd discipline him over were it my team/org. The bolded above makes me think you haven't actually been faced with having to 1) handle yourself in front of huge crowds of people in emotionally charged situations, and 2) you haven't been charged with managing other people who have to handle themselves in front of huge crowds of people in emotionally charged situations.

It's absolutely possible to lose yourself in celebration, even in self congratulation, without crossing a particular line. It's something you learn with experience, and last night it was painfully obvious that Andino is either inexperienced or simply immature.

And you'd be wrong considering I caoch HS baseball. Whats funny is I'm actually pretty old school in my ways. I personally wouldn't have conducted myself the way ANdino did but I also understand it's pure raw emotion. Some people react with emotion differently. Like I said, Andino's comments postgame simply weren't PC but you and I both know thats how the whole clubhouse felt. Your damn right they were happy to send Boston home "crying". I don't know how you can have a problem with a guy being honest. You want the cliches all the other players gave about it not being about Boston fine but thats whats boring and in a lot of ways BS.

And you'd be wrong considering I caoch HS baseball. Whats funny is I'm actually pretty old school in my ways. I personally wouldn't have conducted myself the way ANdino did but I also understand it's pure raw emotion. Some people react with emotion differently. Like I said, Andino's comments postgame simply weren't PC but you and I both know thats how the whole clubhouse felt. Your damn right they were happy to send Boston home "crying". I don't know how you can have a problem with a guy being honest. You want the cliches all the other players gave about it not being about Boston fine but thats whats boring and in a lot of ways BS.

I wouldn't expect HS athletes to be able to necessarily control their emotions. Collegiate athletes? Yes. Professional athletes? Most definitely.

As far as cliches vs. unfiltered garbage, I don't really care (as a fan). As a manager or authority figure, I'd want cliches unless the player knows enough not to make my life more difficult. As a writer, I want unfiltered garbage because that gives me more to write about.

I wouldn't expect HS athletes to be able to necessarily control their emotions. Collegiate athletes? Yes. Professional athletes? Most definitely.

As far as cliches vs. unfiltered garbage, I don't really care (as a fan). As a manager or authority figure, I'd want cliches unless the player knows enough not to make my life more difficult. As a writer, I want unfiltered garbage because that gives me more to write about.

I hear what you're saying, but given the way the Red Sox talked about us after the brawl and all the emotion between this match-up all season, I really can't be too upset with how Andino acted after the game.

I hear what you're saying, but given the way the Red Sox talked about us after the brawl and all the emotion between this match-up all season, I really can't be too upset with how Andino acted after the game.

Yeah, I get the bad blood thing. But the bottom line is that you win, and that's your middle finger in the face. You don't need the extra crap, and it just makes you look silly and petty. You can rub it in by celebrating with each other and milking it for all its worth, but to start yelling at the other team is stupid for a pro athlete (as I said above, I understand when HS, and sometimes college, kids can't control themselves).

I don't think Andino's a bad guy (not that he'd care what my opinion was). And as I wrote earlier I probably wouldn't even have an issue with it were I in Mr. Showalters's shoes. But it's not my preference, and it does rub me the wrong way.

Yeah, I get the bad blood thing. But the bottom line is that you win, and that's your middle finger in the face. You don't need the extra crap, and it just makes you look silly and petty. You can rub it in by celebrating with each other and milking it for all its worth, but to start yelling at the other team is stupid for a pro athlete (as I said above, I understand when HS, and sometimes college, kids can't control themselves).

I don't think Andino's a bad guy (not that he'd care what my opinion was). And as I wrote earlier I probably wouldn't even have an issue with it were I in Mr. Showalters's shoes. But it's not my preference, and it does rub me the wrong way.

Agreed, it's not preferred typically. But last night was about as a-typical as it gets, IMO. I mean, Dino played spoiler in what was arguably one of the craziest chain of events in baseball history last night. So again, while it's not preferable for him to lose control like that a bit, I do see how it would be really hard to maintain control after something like that going down. I still can't believe this all even happened. Again, I do hear what you're saying though.

This team was on the center stage of what is now being called the greatest day of baseball EVER. They won in extremely dramatic fashion, right after finding out that the team Boston was fighting had made their own dramatic comeback. How can anybody possibly expect ANY team not to celebrate in that situation? They reacted the same way I'm sure all of us did... with uncontrollable jubilation. That win will be remembered for the rest of baseball's existence.

Just a difference in opinion, really.

Personally, given the stage, circumstances, conditions, everything...sometimes you write it off. You beat a dog for so long, and eventually it's going to bite you back. It's not like Andino is like this all the time. If people were invading my home and crapping on the floor, you better be damn sure that I'm giving them some choice words. :)

This team was on the center stage of what is now being called the greatest day of baseball EVER. They won in extremely dramatic fashion, right after finding out that the team Boston was fighting had made their own dramatic comeback. How can anybody possibly expect ANY team not to celebrate in that situation? They reacted the same way I'm sure all of us did... with uncontrollable jubilation. That win will be remembered for the rest of baseball's existence.

Well said.

Honestly, last night was my favourite sports night OF ALL TIME. And this includes the Ravens Super Bowl. It didn't even compare to the energy last night. There was just so much energy in that stadium...EVEN DURING THE RAIN DELAY! Amazing. Just amazing.

With all the Bandwagon Red Sox fans that have invaded Camden Yards in the past years the Celebration was just fine. It was a GREAT statement for the O's to take back their home field.

Exactly...you think the Orioles players haven't gotten sick of all the "Let's Go Red Sox" chants they hear in Camden Yards year after year? I think the celebration was the opportunity they were waiting for...to shove all those chants back in their faces in a meaningful, unforgettable way. Get outta here...yes indeed.

Archived