Is Yankee/Red Sox Hegemony coming to an end?

Frobby

5 minutes ago, Machado13 said:

As long as there is no salary cap, it will never end. Other teams can’t just overpay and stash their mistakes on the bench or in the minors.

Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs use this to their advantage and are in the playoffs more often than not...and then you have the Dodgers $100 million bench vs. minor league call ups or rag tag bench veterans for the Brewers.

People outside those cities just aren’t interested in the same old, same old.

MLB needs a salary cap, just like all the other North American professional leagues. They also need a pitch clock.

Yankees payroll was lower than the Angels and same as the Blue Jays in 2018.

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Russell Martin should be thankful that Chris Davis’ contract is so bad.  How did his agent ever get the Blue Jays to agree to pay him $20M a year.  Yowza 

He didn’t.   Martin’s deal is 5/$82 mm.    He’s been worth at least 1.3 rWAR each of the first 4 years, 7.6 rWAR total (8.0 fWAR).     That’s an overpay, but not a terrible one.   I’m  sure there are easily ten deals out there now that are worse, starting with Davis’, which isn’t even on the same planet.  

• 5 months later...

o

(April 21st, 2018) 

The D-Rays have lost 4 straight games, starting with the final game of their series against the Orioles, and ending with a 3-game swep at the hands of the Red Sox in southwestern Florida.

The Red Sox have closed the previously-large gap to 5 games on the  D-Rays, and the Yankees are now within 2 and-a-half ........ it was all Tampa Bay in the first 3 weeks of the season, but there are 26 of them in all.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(April 21st, 2018) 

The D-Rays have lost 4 straight games, starting with the final game of their series against the Orioles, and ending with a 3-game swep at the hands of the Red Sox in southwestern Florida.

The Red Sox have closed the previously-large gap to 5 games on the  D-Rays, and the Yankees are now within 2 and-a-half ........ it was all Tampa Bay in the first 3 weeks of the season, but there are 26 of them in all.

o

Orioles only 6.5 back as poorly as they have played.

Yankees are still 11-10 with a ton of injuries, Judge being the latest.

I wouldn't wish injury on anyone...but part of me isn't sad that this is the 2nd year in a row that Judge has been hurt.  Another part of me steps back and thinks as a baseball fan in general...he's good for the game and the game is better with him in it.  

It sucks because he's in our division but I hope he doesn't have a career where he's more injured than not and people are left wondering what could have been.  Aside from the fact that he plays for the Yankees, he seems like a good guy.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yankees are still 11-10 with a ton of injuries, Judge being the latest.

I wouldn't wish injury on anyone...but part of me isn't sad that this is the 2nd year in a row that Judge has been hurt.  Another part of me steps back and thinks as a baseball fan in general...he's good for the game and the game is better with him in it.  

It sucks because he's in our division but I hope he doesn't have a career where he's more injured than not and people are left wondering what could have been.  Aside from the fact that he plays for the Yankees, he seems like a good guy.  

You don't see a lot of players of Judge's height and size in MLB and I think for good reason. Just being 6'7" or however tall he is, there is a lot more of his body he can hurt on a swing or diving for a ball in the outfield.

Judge has more real estate that can get hurt and the past couple years haven't been good to his health. 

40 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You don't see a lot of players of Judge's height and size in MLB and I think for good reason. Just being 6'7" or however tall he is, there is a lot more of his body he can hurt on a swing or diving for a ball in the outfield.

Judge has more real estate that can get hurt and the past couple years haven't been good to his health. 

Because they're usually playing something like basketball or football.  And if there's something you can hurt on a swing or diving for a ball in the outfield, there's something he could definitely hurt while trying to tackle a running back or going across the middle to catch a pass.  

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(April 21st, 2018) 

o

Is Tampa SW Florida? 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because they're usually playing something like basketball or football.  And if there's something you can hurt on a swing or diving for a ball in the outfield, there's something he could definitely hurt while trying to tackle a running back or going across the middle to catch a pass.  

And because they are usually not coordinated enough to hit a baseball. Especially with tall players, it is the rare player who can handle covering his own strike zone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(April 21st, 2018) 

o

o

After starting the season at 6-13, the Red Sox have gone 15-6 over their last 21 games. They now stand at 21-19 overall, only 3 and-a-half games behind the 1st-place D-Rays.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/bos 

After starting the season at 8-10, the Yankees have gone 15-5 over their last 20 games. They now stand at 23-15 overall, only one-half game behind the 1st-place D-Rays.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/nyy

o

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The rumors of the Yankees and Red Sox demise has been greatly exaggerated. 

I don’t know why anyone would think they would be bad this season. Both of them have a ton of great players.  Over a 162 game season the cream rises to the top and the terrible teams finish in last place.  

• 2 months later...

o

(JULY 23, 2019)

The Yankees are probably well on their way to the 2019 division title, while the Floridians are trying to elbow in between them and the Red Sox.

NEW YORK YANKEES lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 65-35 lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll - -

BOSTON RED SOX llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 56-46lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 10.0

TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 57-47 lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 10.0

TORONTO BLUE JAYS llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 39-64 lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 27.5

BALTIMORE ORIOLESllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 32-68 lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 33.0

o

• Thanks 1