Source: MacPhail Out as GM

MatthewW

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best part of this post is that several people in the know including Tony himself have come right out and stated that Angelos was so upset about the overslots, especially the Boras' clients, to the point that it may have led to Flanagan being replaced. Wieters and Arrieta were the two main examples I believe. You simply ignore everything that doesn't fit your agenda.

Ok so if he was so upset, why are the Orioles still drafting overslots? And why did he personally step in to sign Matt Wieters?

Thats why they need to just promote Klentak to GM and be done with it. No one worth anythng is going to come here.

No one who aspires to be an autonomous GM in MLB will come here. Basically, Buck is going to be the defacto GM without physically having an office upstairs. Whoever they hire to be Pres of BB ops (or whatever the title will be this time) will essentially report to Buck, with oversight by PA (mainly financial, and ensuring that certain PA cronies remain in place). I see Buck calling most of the shots in terms of which Free Agents to go out and get, potential trade targets, and how to revamp aspects of player development / scouting. The "GM" will then be responsible for carrying out the leg work of Buck's strategy, while Buck remains in the dugout. Such a "GM" hire could build experience and potentially look good if his direction under Buck improves the franchise. Thus, the O's "GM" job under Buck would be a stepping stone for this person into a more autonomous role down the road, either with the O's or somewhere else. If the franchise continues to tread water for the next few years, then, well.... I don't want to even fathom that... :angryfire:

I'm not saying that this is the ideal way to run things, but that's just my read on the situation.

a couple of interesting tweets recently from Buster Olney....

Buck Showalter was never considered as a GM candidate, and there was never any considerations of him being a GM/manager.

AND

The Orioles started gathering names of GM candidates in September -- weeks ago -- and Tony LaCava has been among first discussed.

Buck Showalter was never considered as a GM candidate, and there was never any considerations of him being a GM/manager.

AND

The Orioles started gathering names of GM candidates in September -- weeks ago -- and Tony LaCava has been among first discussed.

Keith Law adds his response to Olney's latest tweet:

Approve. "@Buster_ESPN: The Orioles started gathering names of GM candidates in September and Tony LaCava has been among first discussed."

AND

Just wondering, because Buck was never interested or because Angelos never considered him for the position?

Thats why they need to just promote Klentak to GM and be done with it. No one worth anythng is going to come here.

I disagree. There are only 30 GM jobs in the business. Regardless of the problems with the organization, someone will want it.

I didn't want to start a new thread because it's probably already been posted but....

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/10/source_showalter_staying_in_du.html

Looks like Showalter's not assuming the GM role next year.

I am hearing that Buck will have a MAJOR influence in the front office... and been told to not be surprised if Buck is in fact the team's new 'GM'.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Do you know anything about Aneuris Rodriguez other than him being listed at 6’3 180?   Anything beyond his stats?   For all I know he throws 88 mph but has a good curve that can strike out 19 year olds but is a non prospect they just got to eat some innings in the FCL.
    • It is an issue when you run into a situation like last night and these are your two RH options on the bench. Poor roster construction to not have a bat to ball guy in either of those bench spots. Neither has speed either. Just two slightly above avg defenders, who are liabilities with the bat.
    • Good stuff here. Cano’s issue is simple imo…if he gets the ball up, it’s flat and extremely hittable. This was his issue last year and it remains his issues.    It is a bit unlucky to have that many homers on 12 fly balls but he’s also basically putting the ball on a tee when he’s up in the zone, so it’s not surprising the ball gets crushed.
    • Akin is a dime a dozen reliever that is capable of being really good or really bad. If you cut him today, you wouldn’t notice he was gone.
    • In terms of on the field and strictly talking about players, my biggest concern/question was the bullpen and it still is. However, the biggest question that I felt was looming over this team and the organization as a whole was how many young players is too many and when do you bring these guys up? In a year of contention, how many guys do you want “learning on the job” while still focusing on winning?     These are not easy decisions to make, especially when you have competent vet players that should produce at a level that helps the team, even if you feel the young players are more talented. Fast forward to right now.  Holliday came up and struggled and he controls his path to get back.  Mayo may have been close to a call up but he got hurt.  Now, he may be looking at late July/early August before he’s a factor here. Cowser has cemented himself as an everyday player despite his poor and unlucky numbers this month. But he takes arguably the best at bats on the team, is hitting the ball hard and is playing very good defense. Stowers is potentially getting himself in at least a role as the strong side platoon player in the OF. Kjerstad came up and was up and down but he he only had a few sporadic at bats and wasn’t given the proper chance. The other side to this are the vets and many of them have had a lot of issues.  Hays has been awful outside of that glimmer of hope for a few days when he came back off the IL.   He has an OPS+ of 28, a wRC+ of 24, to go along with mediocre at best statcast numbers. Mullins isn’t much better.  His statcast numbers are poor, his OPS+ is 68 and his wRC+ is 65. He is still playing good defense, so that’s good but he hasn’t been good with the bat at all. Santander is hitting 203 and has a sub 300 OBP. He has two 3 hit games this year and if you take those away, he’s hitting 158 And his OPS is closer to 600 than 700. Urias has been surpassed by Mateo and is barely playing and when he is playing, he’s not hitting at all. Mateo has exceeded expectations and looks like he should keep the UTI role this year but we all know the offensive downturn is very likely coming and going off the idea that he is 5 for his last 31, that downturn may have already started.  Still, he has a role here. Mountcastle and OHearn have been up and down but have remained relatively steady to the point where they playing them the amount they are, isn’t really hurting the team. Luckily the team is realizing they aren’t everyday guys, so that helps. I believe Santander will get things going but I’m becoming more and more skeptical about Hays and Mullins.  Mullins is showing some signs lately and has been much better than Hays and the team is playing him less, so I guess that’s good. But Hays is a problem. They need his RH bat but he’s not hitting anything and he’s swinging at awful pitches and he has largely been awful for the last 5 months of baseball. The question of, how much youth is too much is being answered and the answer is, there isn’t “too much” if some of the vets are going to continue to be non factors. If I were the Os, I would send down Hays for Kjerstad or Norby. Norby needs to be able to play OF defense up here but if he can, his RH bat may be valuable. Holliday will be up once he gets hot, so that will take care of itself and like I said, Mayo has to get healthy and playing again. The starting pitching has been better than we thought, so they have been able to keep the team winning through some of these offensive droughts but when you have the talent the Os do in the minors, you can’t keep holding guys back as you hope for these vets to start hitting. The Os have rightfully recognized that none of these vets are everyday guys, so they have at least taken that away but it may be time to do more than that.
    • I’ll take the May version in relief.  
    • Also have to keep in mind that Cano has the toughest job on the team. He gets the middle of the order every time and those matchups are occasionally going to result in a crushing home run. His numbers look about like they did in the second half last year--not elite, but still very good. Needs to work on misses in the zone that get hit hard. 
  • Popular Contributors