Source: MacPhail Out as GM

MatthewW

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best part of this post is that several people in the know including Tony himself have come right out and stated that Angelos was so upset about the overslots, especially the Boras' clients, to the point that it may have led to Flanagan being replaced. Wieters and Arrieta were the two main examples I believe. You simply ignore everything that doesn't fit your agenda.

Ok so if he was so upset, why are the Orioles still drafting overslots? And why did he personally step in to sign Matt Wieters?

Thats why they need to just promote Klentak to GM and be done with it. No one worth anythng is going to come here.

No one who aspires to be an autonomous GM in MLB will come here. Basically, Buck is going to be the defacto GM without physically having an office upstairs. Whoever they hire to be Pres of BB ops (or whatever the title will be this time) will essentially report to Buck, with oversight by PA (mainly financial, and ensuring that certain PA cronies remain in place). I see Buck calling most of the shots in terms of which Free Agents to go out and get, potential trade targets, and how to revamp aspects of player development / scouting. The "GM" will then be responsible for carrying out the leg work of Buck's strategy, while Buck remains in the dugout. Such a "GM" hire could build experience and potentially look good if his direction under Buck improves the franchise. Thus, the O's "GM" job under Buck would be a stepping stone for this person into a more autonomous role down the road, either with the O's or somewhere else. If the franchise continues to tread water for the next few years, then, well.... I don't want to even fathom that... :angryfire:

I'm not saying that this is the ideal way to run things, but that's just my read on the situation.

a couple of interesting tweets recently from Buster Olney....

Buck Showalter was never considered as a GM candidate, and there was never any considerations of him being a GM/manager.

AND

The Orioles started gathering names of GM candidates in September -- weeks ago -- and Tony LaCava has been among first discussed.

Buck Showalter was never considered as a GM candidate, and there was never any considerations of him being a GM/manager.

AND

The Orioles started gathering names of GM candidates in September -- weeks ago -- and Tony LaCava has been among first discussed.

Keith Law adds his response to Olney's latest tweet:

Approve. "@Buster_ESPN: The Orioles started gathering names of GM candidates in September and Tony LaCava has been among first discussed."

AND

Just wondering, because Buck was never interested or because Angelos never considered him for the position?

Thats why they need to just promote Klentak to GM and be done with it. No one worth anythng is going to come here.

I disagree. There are only 30 GM jobs in the business. Regardless of the problems with the organization, someone will want it.

I didn't want to start a new thread because it's probably already been posted but....

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/10/source_showalter_staying_in_du.html

Looks like Showalter's not assuming the GM role next year.

I am hearing that Buck will have a MAJOR influence in the front office... and been told to not be surprised if Buck is in fact the team's new 'GM'.

Archived