Source: MacPhail Out as GM

MatthewW

That may be fine for you, but at least for me I'm still invested, and I want to see a winner now.

Didn't you say that you were willing to rebuild just as long as AM wasn't the one doing it? You know - trade everyone is what you said.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The owner's job is to hire the right people to lead the franchise to prominence and them to give them the resources to do so. It doesn't matter what the philosophy is as long as the team is successful and wins.

There doesn't have to be an "Oriole Way" or a "Ray way." All that there has to be is a way to win.

That may be true for the mobsters, terrorist organizations and gangs... but in the real world the owner of trend setting (i.e. winning) organizations are implementing strategic plans that give clear and concise direction and expectations. Once that is in place, they put in the leadership personel and resources they believe will be needed to achieve the plan. If the plan is not followed and unsuccessful, those leaders are replaced but the plan remains.

The plan may be updated and revised as time goes by so it stays fresh and current - but the core philosophy/strategy remains.

Roch says he's made the short list of potential GM candidates, he doesn't say Klentak will not be the next GM. You really need to stop trying to read between the lines so much.

Actually, in the comments he says "No Brummie... I mean 33rd...Klentak will NOT be the next GM. Take it to the bank." I don't get the first two references, but sounds like he's definitely saying Klentak is out.

Actually, in the comments he says "No Brummie... I mean 33rd...Klentak will NOT be the next GM. Take it to the bank." I don't get the first two references, but sounds like he's definitely saying Klentak is out.
I see now. Thanks for correcting my error. I didn't realize that all the comments weren't shown. I would have thought it would be in the actual article, and not so much in the comments section.

K4C5G.jpg

I don't know whats more ridiculous, a little girl running with a humerus in her hand or your true belief that Andy MacPhail can't wine and dine. Actually, the little girl is less ridiculous.

Hey, Trea says enough crazy things on here to write a bible on "crazy statements, " but saying MacPhails doesn't wine and dine is absolutely right. That's not MacPhail's style. Whether you agree he needs to do that or not is up for debate (although I fall on the side that says a GM must be a salesman when his team how been a perennial loser), but there is little doubt that MacPhail is not the guy you want trying to sell anyone on your organization. It's not his style in the least bit. MacPhail is about as interesting as a snail marathon.

And how much longer are you willing to watch this team lose to see if they ever can build that model?
They can win and build that model at the same time.

You posted a team before...Your team had long term holes and the current payroll was about 150M. There is no way that it is reasonable to expect them to be able to spend that much money and if they could, no way they are spending that much plus putting money into the MiL system.

Its not happening.

You believe there is an infinite amount of resources..there's not. you are wrong for even remotely thinking that.

Hey, Trea says enough crazy things on here to write a bible on "crazy statements, " but saying MacPhails doesn't wine and dine is absolutely right. That's not MacPhail's style. Whether you agree he needs to do that or not is up for debate (although I fall on the side that says a GM must be a salesman when his team how been a perennial loser), but there is little doubt that MacPhail is not the guy you want trying to sell anyone on your organization. It's not his style in the least bit. MacPhail is about as interesting as a snail marathon.
I agree with you 100%.

But you know what you can't sell...These things:

1) We offer less money than contenders.

2) We never sniff 500

3) We play in the hardest division in the sport...by far.

4) No farm system

5) An owner not willing to do what it takes to win.

No matter how much selling you do, you can't overcome those things.

They can win and build that model at the same time.

You posted a team before...Your team had long term holes and the current payroll was about 150M. There is no way that it is reasonable to expect them to be able to spend that much money and if they could, no way they are spending that much plus putting money into the MiL system.

Its not happening.

You believe there is an infinite amount of resources..there's not. you are wrong for even remotely thinking that.

I think that Angelos could allow Buck and his new GM to be bold.... A few seasons ago they offered $20 million per to Texeria. You could argue that they wasted $5-6 on the alternatives. I agree the Orioles can build and Win...But it will initially take a lot of money to do that. The Orioles have far to many holes and the new GM needs to be able to gut and rebuild the scouting & instructional parts of the Orioles for it to be a long term solution.

Archived