Source: MacPhail Out as GM

MatthewW

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, I miss Gesch.

He must be pulling his hair out with the BLeast breaking up and Peyton being hurt.

I was thinking the same thing earlier. Gesch, while a Colts fan, had a way of not pissing off us Ravens fans in the Ravens forum. He's a good guy/poster. Hope he comes back.

I have a bad feeling LaCava's "long look" is going to be him looking at this front office and trying to figure out what the hell is going on before he decides to take himself out of the running.

Who could blame him? We can hope though, that's all we have at this point. This would be a great hire - If PA could keep his damn nose out of it.

Edit: Just so it's marked... post # 10,000 for me. Crazy.

In some parting words with Roch, MacPhail shows why he simply needed to go:

Fair or equal ground? Pitchers were "reluctant?" Last time I checked they were one of 30 MLB teams. It was his job to sell talent on Baltimore, and he couldn't do it.

His salesmanship will be replaced this offseason, and that's a good thing.

What part of Free Agent aren't you grasping. Put yourself in the players shoes, why would you pitch here if you are FREE and don't have to. The division and ballpark and huge detriments in trying to aquire top pitching talents.

What evidence is there that the Orioles would dramatically overpay a pitcher to come here, which is what they would have to do to have any chance to acquire the player? Even in the early days of Angelos he never paid huge money on a FA pitcher and backed out of the Aaron Sele deal.

They overpaid on a smaller scale to get Gonzo and Gregg for better or worse, they aren't going to do it at the top levels.

Point taken, I went against my own advice. Ignore list here after. Care to follow suit?*

*Actually, I'm counting on you to start the appreciatoin thread after the offseason doesn't live up to grandiose expectations.

It's a constant itch that needs scratching, that's for sure.

No, no block list for me. I haven't been able to be on here as much as I usually have been. However I'm getting a good laugh out of the constant spinning he does. Trea, you should be in politics...you'd be awesome at running someone's campaign or something. And also, a good laugh out of the dodging of good facts, Lucky Jim posted a good one here which was, of course, ignored.

And if I were to start an appreciation thread, it'd have to be for someone that I actually appreciate ;)

How do you know rather that the money wasn't there, it was just never asked for?

AM offered 7/$150 for Tex, he signed for 8/$180 - Tex used Boston, Angels, Nats, etc. to jack up the price for where he REALLY wanted to go - The Yankees

AM offered 4/$48 for VMart, he signed for 4/$50 - Signing for only $2 million more just goes to show you he went with the team who wanted to win.

It's a constant itch that needs scratching, that's for sure.

No, no block list for me. I haven't been able to be on here as much as I usually have been. However I'm getting a good laugh out of the constant spinning he does. Trea, you should be in politics...you'd be awesome at running someone's campaign or something. And also, a good laugh out of the dodging of good facts, Lucky Jim posted a good one here which was, of course, ignored.

And if I were to start an appreciation thread, it'd have to be for someone that I actually appreciate ;)

It's what he does best. Ignore stuff he doesn't have a good answer for.

Just out of curiosity -- how would you respond to this comment just posted in Roch's most recent blog:

Roch was asked:

Roch....I can only read between the lines when I see stuff such as what McPhail offers (or didn't offer) above...and that to me screams loudly that the owner wouldn't spend the money McPhail needed to attract pitchers....Money will make you do a lot of things you might not otherwise do; like come to pitch in Camden Yards.

He responded:

Andy wasn't pushing for the owner to spend big bucks. Trust me on this one.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/10/macphail-i-just-thought-it-was-a-good-time-to-step-back.html

I certainly understand where the anti Jtrea posts are coming from, I just respectfully disagree. Angelos is no saint when it comes to being a great owner, I get that. However, Macphail certainly had his shortcomings, too. I think Jtrea's argument is being dismissed just based off the fact that it's him posting it.

Archived