Annual Big 10/ACC beatdown is this week

Sports Guy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, Wisconsin and Duke have never played each other?

For some reason, I find that very interesting.

Yea, I didn't know that...How crazy is that?

I am actually very interested to see that game for Duke...Wisconsin is the exact opposite of Duke...This will be a good test for the Blue Devils.

I know your thread title was a joke, but they should seriously change the name. The ACC has never lost!!! I think we should submit that SG's thread title is the new official name of this so called challenge.

I look for the ACC to roll again this year:

I think the Big 10 will actually get the early lead, not sure Wake can beat Iowa on the road. Tuesday will be all ACC though. I fully expect 4 wins from the 4 home teams (Clemson over Purdue, Duke over Wisconsin, FSU over Minnesota, and Virginia over Northwestern) I think Indiana beats GaTech, but that gives us a 4-2 lead going into Wednesday.

On Wednesday I fully expect Carolina to go on the road and beat Ohio State, and also for Maryland to bounce back and win against Illinois.

I think Michigan State beats NC State, but I think one of VT/BC wins at Penn State/Michigan.

I'm predicting a 7-4 ACC win, and 9 straight years of Big Ten futility.

ACC! ACC! ACC!

Going into the 2007 event the ACC leads the 'challenge' at 8 to 0 all-time.

Overall, the ACC is 49 and 27.

I really am surprised that other conference challenges have not started….

Big 12 vs Big East?

Pac 10 vs SEC?

Colonial Athletic vs Mid-Atlantic?

There are a few more starting this year. Don't have the specifics in front of me, but you'll start seeing more next week.

There are a few more starting this year. Don't have the specifics in front of me, but you'll start seeing more next week.

The Big 12 and Pac 10 are playing one, it's supposed to be a "West of the Mississippi" type deal. The Kansas-Arizona game was the first in that series. I thought I heard the Big East/SEC were doing one, but I'm not sure.

Really, it makes sense for the ACC and Big East to do one. Then the SEC can take the Big Ten.

Doesn't it just make sense for those two to face off? Syracuse-BC? Maryland-Georgetown? Duke-Connecticut? North Carolina-Louisville? Thise would be so much better than the Not So Big Ten.

I mean come on, Virginia-Seton Hall? Oh, wait. :rolleyes:

I also think it would be awesome to do the premier mid-majors. Missouri Valley vs. Colonial. I know they play some bracket busters against each other, but I think that would be a really cool one to have.

Atlantic 10-Conference USA. WAC-Mountain West. WCC vs. Horizon, which could feature a yearly Gonzaga-Butler match-up.

I think the more of these they come up with the better.

The Big 12 and Pac 10 are playing one, it's supposed to be a "West of the Mississippi" type deal. The Kansas-Arizona game was the first in that series. I thought I heard the Big East/SEC were doing one, but I'm not sure.

Really, it makes sense for the ACC and Big East to do one. Then the SEC can take the Big Ten.

Doesn't it just make sense for those two to face off? Syracuse-BC? Maryland-Georgetown? Duke-Connecticut? North Carolina-Louisville? Thise would be so much better than the Not So Big Ten.

I mean come on, Virginia-Seton Hall? Oh, wait. :rolleyes:

I also think it would be awesome to do the premier mid-majors. Missouri Valley vs. Colonial. I know they play some bracket busters against each other, but I think that would be a really cool one to have.

Atlantic 10-Conference USA. WAC-Mountain West. WCC vs. Horizon, which could feature a yearly Gonzaga-Butler match-up.

I think the more of these they come up with the better.

The ACC and Big East did the challenge in the late 80's, early 90's. I dont know why it ended.

The ACC and Big East did the challenge in the late 80's, early 90's. I dont know why it ended.

I was a little too young to remember than bean, but is that where some of the supposed beef between John Thompson and Gary Williams started? I know that they had a riff going on and didn't play each other for quite some time.

Imagine a 12 team matchup this year:

North Carolina-Louisville (Williams-Pitino)

Duke-Villanova (great backcourts)

Virginia-Marquette (great backcourts)

Clemson-Connecticut (great frontcourts)

Maryland-Georgetown (For D.C.)

Boston College- Syracuse (For the Northeast)

Miami- South Florida (For Southern Florida)

N.C. State- Pittsburgh (these next 3 I couldn't come up with a good reason)

Virginia Tech- Seton Hall

Georgia Tech- West Virginia

Florida State- Notre Dame (For College Football)

Wake Forest- Cincinnati (For Skip Prosser)

So many better story lines in a Big East ACC matchup than with the Big 10.

Does anyone know the breakdown of NCAA tourney bids for the two conferences since this thing began?

I looked at this since the 2000 NCAA Tournament, which is I think the season the challenge began.

NCAA Tourney Bids:

Big Ten 43, ACC 39

Sweet 16's:

ACC 17, Big Ten 15

Regional Finals:

Big Ten 11, ACC 8

Final 4's

TIED at 7

Championship Games

TIED at 4

National Champions

ACC 3, Big Ten 1

Pretty even, especially considering for the first 5 years of this the Big Ten had two more teams in the conference. Also interesting that in the first 3 years of the challenege, only teams from these 2 conferences won Nat'l Titles, taking up 8 of the possible 12 Final Four spots.

Since then, only 1 title and only 6 Final Four spots out of a possible 20.

Also:

Bids by Teams:

Big Ten- Michigan St (all 8 years), Illinois (8), Wisconsin (8), Indiana (6), Ohio State (5), Purdue (3), Iowa (3), Penn State (1), Minnesota (1), Northwestern and Michigan have not reached the tournament.

ACC- Duke (8), North Carolina (6), Maryland (6), Wake Forest (5), NC State (5), Georgia Tech (4), Virginia (2), Boston College (2), Virginia Tech (1), Clemson and Florida State have not reached the tournament. Miami entered 3 years ago and hasn't reached.

Archived