Connolly says 7yr/140 "still beyond the comfort level" of the club

accinfo

We have Wieters. That's it. Everyone wants to trade Jones. Markakis hasn't had a good season since he signed his big contract and got married. Where are these nice pieces? Hardy? What a novel concept, we signed a FA and he contributed then extended. There will be a clamor on here to trade him at the allstar break.

This team is winning less games than last year.

If you dont have 3 really good starting pitchers you dont have anything.

Well let's not go planning the funeral before the body dies or anything like that....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IF this is the case, what it tells me is that the Orioles likely see 6/132(at most) as their top offer.

And, IF its true that Buck went to PA for more money, it tells me that the Orioles feel if they put another year and another 20-30M on the table, that they feel they have a good shot at him.

Again, those are big ifs and that still doesn't even take into account that DC could come up with a bigger offer than the Orioles expect.

Imagine how hard it would be to convince PA to offer more money then what we offered to Tex...

Buck: "Mr. Angelos, we're going to need to offer more then the 7/$140 you offered to Mark Texeira a few years ago if we stand any chance to sign Prince."

PA: "Bucky, how's that deal working out for the Yankees?"

Buck: "Yeah, but... nevermind" big sigh, slouches down, turns around, leaves office

We have Wieters. That's it. Everyone wants to trade Jones. Markakis hasn't had a good season since he signed his big contract and got married. Where are these nice pieces? Hardy? What a novel concept, we signed a FA and he contributed then extended. There will be a clamor on here to trade him at the allstar break.

This team is winning less games than last year.

If you dont have 3 really good starting pitchers you dont have anything.

Well before last year Wieters was being talked about as the biggest bust in draft history. I honestly have some hope for this season. i believe some guys will improve with a year of experience and others who given the chance to show what they are capable of will be traded or released. I don't see DD just constantly plugging the same line up year after year patiently waiting. I think he will give players a chance and then if they dont take advantage of it then he removes them. Thats probably the biggest thing that is different for me this off season. DD is probably my favorite pick up. Outside of our owner he has reorganized this franchise structure.

Well before last year Wieters was being talked about as the biggest bust in draft history. I honestly have some hope for this season. i believe some guys will improve with a year of experience and others who given the chance to show what they are capable of will be traded or released. I don't see DD just constantly plugging the same line up year after year patiently waiting. I think he will give players a chance and then if they dont take advantage of it then he removes them. Thats probably the biggest thing that is different for me this off season. DD is probably my favorite pick up. Outside of our owner he has reorganized this franchise structure.

exciting. you got the number for season tickets?

Fielder could most certainly end up in DC this afternoon. But I find it curious that they blew the doors off for Werth in short order last year and now are seemingly hesitant on Fielder. I guess given their track record you would think that if they really wanted fielder they would have him already.

Fielder could most certainly end up in DC this afternoon. But I find it curious that they blew the doors off for Werth in short order last year and now are seemingly hesitant on Fielder. I guess given their track record you would think that if they really wanted fielder they would have him already.

I think the teams that want him, ie Nats, Texas, us, whomever, knows that the other teams aren't going to give him what he wants, so everyone is sticking to their guns and will offer what they feel is a good deal. Nobody is gonna break the bank for an overweight guy, regardless of how good he currently is. Boras will eventually find a sucker, he always does, but for now, no one is playing his game.

I think the teams that want him, ie Nats, Texas, us, whomever, knows that the other teams aren't going to give him what he wants, so everyone is sticking to their guns and will offer what they feel is a good deal. Nobody is gonna break the bank for an overweight guy, regardless of how good he currently is. Boras will eventually find a sucker, he always does, but for now, no one is playing his game.

Good point. But the Nats didn't blink an eye when handing a 32 year old a 7 year deal last year. For others interested in Fielder I understand playing the game. Maybe the Nats rounds religion after seeing what Werth did last year.

Brewers are the only deal he has been offered.

"We haven't had any conversations with Scott," Melvin said. "If we had, we wouldn't reveal what we would be talking about anyway. Whether (rumors come from) the agents or some other clubs, it's just trying to drum up something. You don't know where that comes from.

"We haven't mentioned any numbers, so it would be hard to increase an offer. They've never told us what they're looking for. Agents never do."

Melvin said the Brewers have made no formal offer to Fielder since spring 2010, when they proposed a five-year, $100 million extension. Melvin said he never received a specific counterproposal from Boras.

"I don't think they ever countered in writing," said Melvin. "There's always (talk about) parameters. We just weren't close."

ESPN.com reported earlier Friday that in "conversations recently" the Brewers indicated a willingness to stretch to six years and $120 million to get a deal done. But Boras confirmed that he has not talked to Melvin since the Milwaukee meetings and indicated the club's willingness to possibly go higher was old news.

Boras said shortly after he turned down the Brewers' original and only offer, a club official suggested they might be able to add another year at the same annual salary. Negotiations never progressed, however.

The Prince has no new clothes.

He has no clothes at all.

Five 100

and

Six 120 are the only numbers he has been rumored to have he offered at any time.

IF this is the case, what it tells me is that the Orioles likely see 6/132(at most) as their top offer.

And, IF its true that Buck went to PA for more money, it tells me that the Orioles feel if they put another year and another 20-30M on the table, that they feel they have a good shot at him.

Again, those are big ifs and that still doesn't even take into account that DC could come up with a bigger offer than the Orioles expect.

And the question on everyone's minds:

Would you, SG, sign Fielder for 7/152-162 with no opt-out? Opt-out after 3? Opt-out after 4?

Good point. But the Nats didn't blink an eye when handing a 32 year old a 7 year deal last year. For others interested in Fielder I understand playing the game. Maybe the Nats rounds religion after seeing what Werth did last year.

I believe that Mr. Lerner is not as much of a tool for Boras this time around.

Brewers are the only deal he has been offered.

"We haven't had any conversations with Scott," Melvin said. "If we had, we wouldn't reveal what we would be talking about anyway. Whether (rumors come from) the agents or some other clubs, it's just trying to drum up something. You don't know where that comes from.

"We haven't mentioned any numbers, so it would be hard to increase an offer. They've never told us what they're looking for. Agents never do."

Melvin said the Brewers have made no formal offer to Fielder since spring 2010, when they proposed a five-year, $100 million extension. Melvin said he never received a specific counterproposal from Boras.

"I don't think they ever countered in writing," said Melvin. "There's always (talk about) parameters. We just weren't close."

ESPN.com reported earlier Friday that in "conversations recently" the Brewers indicated a willingness to stretch to six years and $120 million to get a deal done. But Boras confirmed that he has not talked to Melvin since the Milwaukee meetings and indicated the club's willingness to possibly go higher was old news.

Boras said shortly after he turned down the Brewers' original and only offer, a club official suggested they might be able to add another year at the same annual salary. Negotiations never progressed, however.

The Prince has no new clothes.

He has no clothes at all.

Five 100

and

Six 120 are the only numbers he has been rumored to have he offered at any time.

He should take 6 and 120. He gets to stay with the Brewers and there will be a lot less stress on him than if he changes teams. What is his best case scenario 7 years 160 million? No one is offering 8 years or he would be signed already.

He should take 6 and 120. He gets to stay with the Brewers and there will be a lot less stress on him than if he changes teams. What is his best case scenario 7 years 160 million? No one is offering 8 years or he would be signed already.

Deal has been off the table for quite some time. They spent all of their money elsewhere.

And the question on everyone's minds:

Would you, SG, sign Fielder for 7/152-162 with no opt-out? Opt-out after 3? Opt-out after 4?

No I wouldn't....UNLESS I was assured that there would be nothing to stop them from doing everything need to do, amateur wise, internationally, etc...

And to make that deal, Guthrie and Jones would have to be dealt.

A person close familiar with the negotiations, but not authorized to discuss publicly, said that talks were accelerating and could conclude today.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/01/prince-fielder-close-to-making-free-agent-decision/1

BNightengale Bob Nightengale

The #Nationals remain favorites for Prince, but no decision has been made #MLB

Archived