3/21: Orioles vs. Blue Jays

Don Quixote

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That'll do it for Strop. He faced 5 batters and retired only one of them. He walked 1, gave up 2 hits, committed a throwing error, and threw a wild pitch.

Stu Pomeranz comes in. He gets Valbuena to ground out, no advancement from the runners.

Well I guess we wont have to go through the tie bit. Stu on. Where is Bolton Bob when yo need him. He has single handedly coaxed Stu through all his appearances so far. He doesn't even know who Stu is. He just cheers for him. One of the Family members gave them free tickets because of it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Did someone say McKenna and "white hot?" Never ever thought I'd be around to read that and I like - root for McKenna. Again, I want to see more of Kjerstad before they send him down. How Hyde does it, I don't care. 
    • I’m going to miss his exchanges with Boxscore Billy.   🙂
    • We can agree to disagree.  I'd rather watch Cowser, as awful as he's been because there's upside there and he represents the future.  You know as well as I do that Hays isn't long for this team and he's at his peak or he's already hit it.   If my leftfielder is going to put up a .114/.262/.171 slash line, I at least want to know that he's on the upswing of his career.  Hays has been bad to borderline terrible for over half a season now and I don't believe he's going to get much better.  Might have a hot streak but those hot streaks are seemingly less and less these days.  More nicks and injuries and more prolonged slumps.  
    • I don't think I recall saying that, but if that's the conclusion you're jumping to....I mean, that's part of what you do, take things people say, twist them around and then take them and run.  Or play a semantics game.  So I'm assuming that's what you'll do here. But, just to be difficult, yeah, I'd rather watch McKenna.  Hays has been harder to watch going back to the 2nd half of last year.   First of all, I'm not a McKenna fan but I think he gets a lot of unwarranted flak around here.  Like, he's a perfectly fine 4th or 5th outfielder.  Yeah, he's a bit of a doofus but it's not a big deal.  It's as if people are still holding a grudge against the dropped flyball in Fenway last year and it's just absurd.   He's not great, but he's not completely awful, either. No, I don't want to watch Hays.  I'd rather see Cowser in LF, Mullins in CF and Santander/Kjerstad in RF.   And if that means McKenna gets a little bit more playing time, so be it. 
    • I already talked about 2023 and 2024.  In 2022, his OpS vs lefties was 324. Now, prior to 2022, he was very good vs lefties outside of an awful year in 2018…but when you have to go back 3 years, especially at his age, to justify a stat, that’s not a good thing.
    • That is painting in very broad brush strokes. I'm not certain I would draw the same conclusion as you have. Standard deviation is a measure of how dispersed data is rather than how one variable relates to another. I think in this case a better assessment would be a regression analysis where you are looking at the impact of one independent variable, walks or OBP on a second independent variable, runs or wins. And thats assuming a linear regression, which may not be accurate. 
    • It also applied in the Reds series, but they didn't get on base, so.
  • Popular Contributors