Simon waived?

Can_of_corn

This doesn't make any sense. It's not like he's making a huge amount of money, anyway.

Has he been really that awful this spring? I'd hate to see a guy with that arm just GIVEN away.

Yea, that's why I was asking Weams what he thought. Simon isn't making that much more then the minimum I don't think. I checked Cots but they didn't show a number for Simon. This could come back to bite them in the butt.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if someone claims him, they can let him go, negotiate a trade for him, or withdraw him from waivers?

Aren't there two kinds of waivers revocable and irrevocable? I think you're describing revocable. I'm not sure which of these Simon is on.

In researching this a little more, I think what you've described is correct. If a team claims Simon, the O's may rescind the waiver with the hope that they can work out a deal with the claiming team. However, the O's can only rescind a waiver on Simon once per year.

Anything is possible but what would make you suggest it? The Orioles waiving Alfredo Simon isn't exactly a strange thing.

Some seem to disagree.....myself included. If something isn't out of sorts, I would think he definitely has some trade value.

I think the O's will try to work out a deal with the team that claims him. If they can't work out a deal, they'll rescind the waiver and keep him. Then they will cut someone else.

Here are the options available to the O's regarding Simon:

"arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or

rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or

do nothing and allow the claiming team to assume the player's existing contract, pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and place the player on its active major league roster."

Remember a guy named Daniel Cabrera? He was very similar to Simon if you ask me. You never knew what you were going to get from one game to the next. Sure they both throw hard, but have/had an ERA 5+ and a WHIP around 1.5. Competition this spring made him expendable.

Remember a guy named Daniel Cabrera? He was very similar to Simon if you ask me. You never knew what you were going to get from one game to the next. Sure they both throw hard, but have/had an ERA 5+ and a WHIP around 1.5. Competition this spring made him expendable.
How many pitchers do we currently have who can spot start or throw 3-4 innings? I can't think of any. Wada, but they want hmn in the rotation. Tillman? They want him to start in Norfolk. Ayala, Strop, Patton, Neshek, Laindstrom, Phillips, are all 1-2 innings tops. I guess they could bring Bergesen back up from AAA, but I would prefer Simon over him.

How many pitchers do we currently have who can spot start or throw 3-4 innings? I can't think of any. Wada, but they want hmn in the rotation. Tillman? They want him to start in Norfolk. Ayala, Strop, Patton, Neshek, Laindstrom, Phillips, are all 1-2 innings tops. I guess they could bring Bergesen back up from AAA, but I would prefer Simon over him.

Wada makes the starting 5? If he makes OD roster, I would use him at long relief. Patton was once a starter, so he should easily be stretched out to more innings.

How is Wada going to get into a rotation that is already filled? He looks like the long man to me.

Yes, Wada seems likely to start in the pen . I still think he could start on the DL as well and may get first chance to fill in for any starter that goes down. Ultimately though, I think his role is in the pen on this team. I just don't think he has the stamina or stuff to be a SP at this level. If that is his likely role you might as well start him there.

Similar? In what way? Because he is from the DR? They aren't similar at all. One was raw and wild. One was much more defined and versatile. Sigh...

Similar? In what way? Because he is from the DR? They aren't similar at all. One was raw and wild. One was much more defined and versatile. Sigh...

They both throw hard and at times have great stuff, but you never know what you will get from one game to the next. There was always HOPE that one day either one of them would finally put it all together and turn out to be a pretty good pitcher. They have similar ERAs and WHIPs.

You actually think Simon is defined? You think a 5+ ERA is ok?

Archived