Simon waived?

Can_of_corn

This might be a more simple explanation from baseball reference:

Outright Waivers

When a team needs to make room on the 25-man roster and wishes to move a player without options to the minors, the team places the unwanted player from its 25-man roster on outright waivers.

If no other team wishes to pay the $20,000 outright waiver price by making a claim within 48 hours, his team can assign him to a minor league roster. A veteran player can refuse a minor league assignment. A veteran who does so becomes a free agent but loses any guaranteed money left on his contract with the waiving team.

The purpose of this rule is to prevent organizations from burying players in the minor leagues when they have the talent to play in the Major Leagues.

Sounds to me that the O's get nothing if Simon is claimed by another team. If he passes through waivers he has the choice of becoming a FA or going to Norfolk and collecting his ML salary.

Yep. that's what it sounds like. There is some additonal criterea for a "veteran". I'm not sure where Simon stands as far as service time and qualifying..

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This might be a more simple explanation from baseball reference:

Outright Waivers

When a team needs to make room on the 25-man roster and wishes to move a player without options to the minors, the team places the unwanted player from its 25-man roster on outright waivers.

If no other team wishes to pay the $20,000 outright waiver price by making a claim within 48 hours, his team can assign him to a minor league roster. A veteran player can refuse a minor league assignment. A veteran who does so becomes a free agent but loses any guaranteed money left on his contract with the waiving team.

The purpose of this rule is to prevent organizations from burying players in the minor leagues when they have the talent to play in the Major Leagues.

Sounds to me that the O's get nothing if Simon is claimed by another team. If he passes through waivers he has the choice of becoming a FA or going to Norfolk and collecting his ML salary.

Thank you. That is a good explanation. I understand that the Orioles expect Simon to become a FA if he does pass through waivers.

I understand Simon is not a make or break move by itself, but why in the world he was let go is beyond me. We have no long man now and judging by our starting staff we will need plenty of long men. I know Opening Day is upon us and optimism is at the peak, but this team is not very good. It is a bad team. We need long relievers to dull the pain. Just a real dumb move.

I understand Simon is not a make or break move by itself, but why in the world he was let go is beyond me. We have no long man now and judging by our starting staff we will need plenty of long men. I know Opening Day is upon us and optimism is at the peak, but this team is not very good. It is a bad team. We need long relievers to dull the pain. Just a real dumb move.

Ehh, I like Simon well enough, but it's not a big loss. I just don't understand why we would not have DFA'd him first and tried to facilitate a trade before executing an outright waiver.

Ehh, I like Simon well enough, but it's not a big loss. I just don't understand why we would not have DFA'd him first and tried to facilitate a trade before executing an outright waiver.

I think that the Orioles are not responsible for his contract when he becomes a FA or is claimed. That is what I think. On a DFA the would pay him when he was assigned or Pay him when he is released. So I think that is the answer.

I think that the Orioles are not responsible for his contract when he becomes a FA or is claimed. That is what I think..

Right.

On a DFA the would pay him when he was assigned or Pay him when he is released. So I think that is the answer

A DFA should just delay the waiver process and allow the opportunity for a trade. I don't see why it would make an difference as far as picking up his salary goes. That would only apply if he were released.

The choice would be to go to Norfolk at his current salary or be release with the Orioles paying his whole salary if I understand it correctly.
If he declares FA I don't think the O's are laible for his salary. If he accepts assignment they would.

I did not make myself clear. He would either report to Norfolk or the Orioles, if they no longer wanted him, would release him. Either way, paying his salary. Did I make my statement more clear? BTW, this is entirely my supposition based on what the answer to my question was from those who were helpful in my quest.

Not really.

Shucks. I guess i don't know what I am talking about then. I figured that we no loner wanted Simon, for whatever reason. That we chose to waive him as opposed to DFA him because by DFA ing him -If he passed through, he would simply accept an assignment to Norfolk and we would still have to pay him. Or if we really did not want him, for whatever reason, that we would then release him. And we would still pay him. I think this way, he does not have the option of choosing to accept the assignment and continue to be paid. Even if he wants to be a FA.

Can't see how people keep calling this a bad move. Wada will be the long man. If the starters stink, you'll see guys like Bergesen, Berken, and Tillman on the yo-yo between here and Norfolk. No reason to go into the season with more than one long man on the roster. Simon is a mediocre pitcher. People say you should be able to get pitcher's like Eveland for free. You should be able to get pitchers like Simon for free as well, which I'm pretty sure is how we got him in the first place. Now we get to see how many teams out there want him for free.

Beregesen, Berken, and Tillman are awful. So Simon is mediocre. Mediocre is better than awful. I think Simon seemed to perform decently down the stretch last year. It is worth noting that our best starters in terms of ERA won't be with the team. Guthrie traded, Simon waived, and Britton injured. Seeing Chen pitch for the first time today did not give me a lot of optimism. I know the wind was blowing out but he got hit hard even on the balls that stayed in the ball park.

Hunter could be decent but the rest of the starters do not provide a lot of reason to believe they will be even average.

Archived