Simon waived?

Can_of_corn

Beregesen, Berken, and Tillman are awful. So Simon is mediocre. Mediocre is better than awful. I think Simon seemed to perform decently down the stretch last year. It is worth noting that our best starters in terms of ERA won't be with the team. Guthrie traded, Simon waived, and Britton injured. Seeing Chen pitch for the first time today did not give me a lot of optimism. I know the wind was blowing out but he got hit hard even on the balls that stayed in the ball park.

Hunter could be decent but the rest of the starters do not provide a lot of reason to believe they will be even average.

I really wish I could disagree with you, but I cant. This is a really bad team. This Opening Day is so different for me because I know there is no hope. The guy that could of come to rebuild and gave us hope, turned us down. We traded our only good and consistent pitcher for 2 less than average pitchers. We signed no bat that anyone has heard of.

I will say that Tillman's increased velocity is a strong positive, but that is no guarantee of anything. His track record is not good.

Really, I want to be optimistic, but we are a bad bad baseball team with a future that looks a lot like the past.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to clear all of this up, from your perspective the attempt to figure out the rationale behind a surprising (to us) roster decision is somehow problematic....and not exactly what a fan message board is for?

I mean, aren't you just complaining-for-the-sake-of-complaining about complainers-who-complain-for-the-sake-of-complaining?

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! :D

What the heck is "lots of buzz"? You either claim the guy or you don't.

What was the date of this tweet/post (whatever :-)? Perhaps he means that there were multiple teams filing claims? Either way, this should have been resolved by now or some time today.

What was the date of this tweet/post (whatever :-)? Perhaps he means that there were multiple teams filing claims? Either way, this should have been resolved by now or some time today.
It may get resolved by today, but we won't hear about it for a few days, due to physicals etc.

. The DFA can take up to 10 days.

Weams quoted Dan Connoly that Simon was not DFA'd and he was placed directly on outright waivers. Thats really been the point I (and probably others) did not understand.

No designation per Dan Connolly

"Source confirms Alfredo Simon was placed on outright waivers. No designation of assignment."

Is it still possible a trade is in the works if he's placed on outright waivers?

The DFA should give a window for a trade before having to expose/complete the waiver process. I am not sure of the mechanics of that, but 10 days sounds about right. I suspect this was a DFA and a trade may be in the works......or is at least being attempted.

If it was initially an outright waiver and not a DFA then he would be lost to the claiming team as it sounds like there is no revocable waiver in place at this time.

I only mentioned the DFA because of Eveland. .

We know that Eveland was DFA'd right from the beginning. In Simon's case, it's a lot less clear. So, it's kind of confusing for you to say a DFA will take 10 days in this context. That's kind of been the point here.

Everything points to outright waivers on Simon and I don't believe a trade can be worked out in his case

Yes. That's what it would appear to be, but it's not really clear as we basically only have a tweet from Connolly that it wasn't a DFA.

We know that Eveland was DFA'd right from the beginning. In Simon's case, it's a lot less clear. So, it's kind of confusing for you to say a DFA will take 10 days in this context. That's kind of been the point here.

Yes. That's what it would appear to be, but it's not really clear as we basically only have a tweet from Connolly that it wasn't a DFA.

Seems obvious from the confusion here and the inabilty of the media to get clarity, that the O's are playing some kind of game with Simon. Not nearly as straight forward as Eveland's DFA. I think there are a number of balls in the air involving roster space, the rotation and a trade for a SP.

Seems obvious from the confusion here and the inabilty of the media to get clarity, that the O's are playing some kind of game with Simon. Not nearly as straight forward as Eveland's DFA. I think there are a number of balls in the air involving roster space, the rotation and a trade for a SP.

Yeah, there is something in the works.

Roch says that the Brewers and Astros are two of the teams interested in Simon. The Astros have first pick because of their record so if the Brewers want him they have to trade for him. And of course the Astros know that the Brewers may trade for him so the Astros have to offer something better. There are probably other teams involved.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/04/simon-still-in-holding-pattern.htm

Archived