ORIOLES vs. YANKEES 4/09

OFFNY

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So he's looking at 5 or 6 innings tonight....that's OK with a well rested bullpen. As a #4 starter we can handle that, as our #1 we can't.

You never know, Terpsy. Pitches can vary greatly from inning to inning, plus, it depends on how much rest our offense gives Matusz between innings. Also, I'm hoping that Buck is the type of manager to use his catcher's lying eyes and his own lying eyes to judge how a pitcher looks more so than the pitch count. :)

The thing I am really noticing about Matusz tonight is that he is whipping his arm back up on his fb. Watch his arm action following the fb, he whips it right back up. This is supposed to be a bad sign for something. I cannot remember if it is a health issue or a mechanical issue that leads to a health issue. Are there any resident scouts or pitching mechanics guys that would care to comment?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Gunnar is highest ranked Os player at 16th overall.  Mountcastle is 20th and Cowser is 39th. Adley is down to 180. Helps explain how hard these guys are hitting the ball. Adley is hitting it harder this year than before but he’s still down the chart. I’m guessing we will see that correlation between bat speed and higher exit velos. (Hence Stanton being #1)
    • They are 15-25 at the quarter pole after vintage Verlander showed up in Detroit yesterday. 19-31 is kind of a 50-game yardstick from the Nationals champions, and these Astros only need 4-6 for that plus they have the 6th wildcard berth.    Even if we outrun the Yankees, some AL team may open the tournament having to face Framber, Verlander, Abreu, Pressly and Hader in a 5-game series with a bunch of off days. ESPN this morning had this tidbit, though these Astros are not about to call up an Adley Rutschman level player. Saturday's loss put the Astros at 14-25. I checked the past 25 teams to start a season 13-26, 14-25 or 15-24 (not including 2020). These were bad teams. Their average record was 68-94. Only one, the 2022 Baltimore Orioles, finished with a winning record, at 83-79.
    • This isn’t specific to the Orioles, but I figured it belongs here since we’ll all be citing these measures soon enough.   Baby has a new toy! https://www.mlb.com/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-statcast-bat-tracking?partnerId=it-20240513-9833659-mlb-1-A&utm_id=it-20240513-9833659-mlb-1-A&lctg=67326645
    • Thought this was going to happen. It’s not an ideal first game but it’s also probably the best time to play a team like KC. They are timing offense that usually gets better as the season goes on. Rice probably misses the game (and many others) too. Since you have to play at KC this year, this is probably best case scenario in terms of when you play them (without the benefit of playing them if they are injured or something like that)
    • The Orioles changed their 13 game plans around some. Can no longer exchange every game if you desire. Can only move up to 50% which would be 6 games max.   That may be playing a role in leveling out the attendance some.  
    • Going to have to be patient. I would be shocked if any good pen arms are dealt soon. 
    • So anyone else dreading the season opener at Kansas City on Sep 5? I wish I was more excited to see Lamar take on Mahomes again. Maybe you guys can help me.  The AFC Championship game was pretty close I guess........
  • Popular Contributors