Astros to select Appel

I have a strong feeling that the Twins are going to take Gausman. If this happens I think Buxton falls to us. Even with Buxton available I would have a hard time passing on Almora or Correa. What scares me about Buxton is that he just hasn't faced great talent whereas Almora has put up insane numbers against some of the best talent in the country. I will be very happy with Buxton but I really do question if we can develop someone along his lines. He also seems to be to much of a boom or bust pick to me compared to Almora. I really don't understand why everyone even ranks Buxton ahead of Almora. Almora is not getting the respect he deserves. The kid is going to be a stud. To me Almora's floor is a lot higher then Buxtons and if the power develops like scouts think Almora could be the next Andruw Jones. I'm not knocking Buxton I will be very happy to have him, I just feel like his risk is a lot higher then Almora or even Correa.

To me Almora's floor is a lot higher then Buxtons and if the power develops like scouts think Almora could be the next Andruw Jones.

Do you remember how good Andruw Jones was? He made his ML debut at 19. He had 5 seasons of a fWAR of 7 or higher including an 8.3 in 2005. I don't think anyone expects anything close to that.

I have a strong feeling that the Twins are going to take Gausman. If this happens I think Buxton falls to us. Even with Buxton available I would have a hard time passing on Almora or Correa. What scares me about Buxton is that he just hasn't faced great talent whereas Almora has put up insane numbers against some of the best talent in the country. I will be very happy with Buxton but I really do question if we can develop someone along his lines. He also seems to be to much of a boom or bust pick to me compared to Almora. I really don't understand why everyone even ranks Buxton ahead of Almora. Almora is not getting the respect he deserves. The kid is going to be a stud. To me Almora's floor is a lot higher then Buxtons and if the power develops like scouts think Almora could be the next Andruw Jones. I'm not knocking Buxton I will be very happy to have him, I just feel like his risk is a lot higher then Almora or even Correa.

If the Twinkies draft Gausman at #2, I, for one, would be happy with a consolation prize of Almora, Buxton or Almora.

If Appel and Gausman are gone, there is still a good chance the O's take Zimmer. What would really be interesting is if the three college pitchers go in the top three picks. Everyone keeps saying that Seattle wants to take a bat but that's what they said last year and they took Hultzen.

They could also sign a pre-draft deal and free up $$ to grab McCullers, Smoral, Giolito, or whoever it is that falls, later on with one of their supplemental picks or their early 2nd round pick.

If Appel and Gausman are gone, there is still a good chance the O's take Zimmer. What would really be interesting is if the three college pitchers go in the top three picks. Everyone keeps saying that Seattle wants to take a bat but that's what they said last year and they took Hultzen.

My gut tells me your right here if Gausman is selected since the Orioles are really hurting for young pitching prospects. Outside Bundy we do not really have anyone.

I would be pretty disappointed if we take Zimmer instead of Buxton, Almora, or Correa. This is what we have with Zimmer, he has a plus fastball but not much movement and average control. When he is on a professional schedule, pitching once out of five days, his velocity is going to drop. He does have that nasty curveball and the fastball is going to be pretty average if he cannot maintain his velocity. If that curveball cannot miss bats then we are in trouble.Realistically he sounds like he is going to be 3 starter; 2 starter as a ceiling. This is my opinion based on what I have read about him.

They could also sign a pre-draft deal and free up $$ to grab McCullers, Smoral, Giolito, or whoever it is that falls, later on with one of their supplemental picks or their early 2nd round pick.

Any idea on how much those guys would command? Even feasible that the O's could take one, sign both him and the #4, and punt the other 8 picks to just cheap/signability guys? If feasible, would you want to do something like this?

Any idea on how much those guys would command? Even feasible that the O's could take one, sign both him and the #4, and punt the other 8 picks to just cheap/signability guys? If feasible, would you want to do something like this?

Potentially. If I thought I could get Giolito or McCullers for $3 MM and thought I could get one of Gausman/Almora/Correa/Buxton for $3.25, I'd do that and "punt" the rest of the draft (which would really just be a number of senior signs and college relievers, likely). If Smoral is there, I'd make a run at him up to $1.75 or $2 MM.

If I did go that route I would call my first round pick Tuesday night and sell it to him hard. That said, if I don't sign one of these two picks I don't fret over punting the extra pick to 2013.

EDIT -- MATT! Didn't see that was you; great to hear from you!

How do you know this?

There was an article recently about the Orioles having a scout at every one of his games and the scout was quoted as saying "he doesn't know why he keeps coming to his games because there is no way he will be there when we are on the clock"

Well every scout to every team loves him. They are just scared of the toolsiness.

With teams prepared to pick him inside the top 3, there are plenty of teams that are not scared off. I don't think he is necessarily the right pick for us. I'd pick Gausman, Correa, and Buxton in that order simply because the positions that Buxton and Correa play are pretty well locked up for a long time. I absolutely won't complain if we take any of these guys though.

Archived