Gonna take alot to get Chase Headley

Greg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is not s strikeout pitcher, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would want him. I don't think he would be the best player in the deal, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him do well in SD.

I think he'd be a pretty good fit there as well. Again, not the centerpiece, but a decent piece to a trade.

These teams asking prices of solid players is getting a little ridiculous. Headley is a solid and worth solid prospects, not top flight youngsters. If it continues to be this way with all the terrible teams then I don't see us making any kind of impact player move and it's a shame but the future is bright for us. It's not worth giving up anyone with potential greatness.

What hath Andy MacPhail wrought throughout the league with his trades?

I am interested in hearing his bulletproof analysis.
Think. You are the Pads and you are looking to rebuild. You are trading one of your best players. You are doing that for a guy who is questionably a #5 SP at best? Hunter is not a SO pitcher and he shouldn't be a FB pitcher. His whole problem is he can't keep the ball down. As a matter of fact he's not a FB P, he's more of a HR pitcher. How many has he given up this year? In a trade for Headley, Hunter would be a throw in at best.

Think. You are the Pads and you are looking to rebuild. You are trading one of your best players. You are doing that for a guy who is questionably a #5 SP at best? Hunter is not a SO pitcher and he shouldn't be a FB pitcher. His whole problem is he can't keep the ball down. As a matter of fact he's not a FB P, he's more of a HR pitcher. How many has he given up this year? In a trade for Headley, Hunter would be a throw in at best.

QFT

...and other words unnecessary for the validity of this argument but necessary for the forum's minimum requirements.

Matusz is a guy that is from California and wouldn't cost a ton. He has some upside as well and as much as I think he COULD be solid, I am past the point where I think he is a lot better than a solid #3 starter in the AL East. If Matusz and another player/prospect could get us Headley than I would be interested and unlike Arrieta, I do not have a huge issue dealing Matusz for something of value before a set back pushes his value down once more and his salary starts to rise.

Many people are way too risk-averse when it comes to dealing our players. You have to change your perspective. Imagine we were in contention right now, had Betemit on the bench to take over, and already had Headley on our team. We'd probably have another two wins because of his production, and be sitting half a game back of the Yankees at 43-29. Not a single person on this board would think we'd be better off, either now or going forward, if we could trade Headley to the Padres and get back Tillman, Schoop and Avery.

Loss aversion blurs vision. Clear eyes, strong hearts, can't lose.

I agree completely with this post. Not all of our prospects are going to work out in the major leagues. Actually there is a very real chance that more (let's say 6/10) of our top 10 organizational prospects fail to get to the majors or, should they get to the majors, fail to have any real impact.

Headley is an established, underrated baseball player who's numbers are kept down because of the ridiculously large ballpark he plays in.

He could be a 20/20 player at Camden Yards with a very high OBP. He's a left handed 3b with an above average glove, a good batting eye and would be a huge upgrade defensively and a moderate upgrade offensively over Betemit.

The only two guys who are untouchable for the Orioles currently are Machado and Bundy. Anyone else is on the trading block. Tillman and either Schoop or Avery plus a lesser prospect or possibly a major league relief pitcher like Gregg (we'd eat the contract in the deal), Lindstrom or Strop (I wouldn't want to trade him but if they are asking for alot we may have to throw him in) could also be thrown in.

Headley would upgrade our lineup, would be a great left handed bat to replace Davis who is struggling mightily as our 3 hole hitter and an enormous defensive upgrade to one of the worst fielding teams in MLB.

Duquette has shown he isn't shy about making trades.....I REALLY hope he can get this one done. Not just for this year but for the future as I'd love to lock Headley up with an extension now before he starts tearing up hitter friendly Camden Yards. He gets traded to a contender and gets a huge upgrade in his offensive stats. Win-win.

I agree completely with this post. Not all of our prospects are going to work out in the major leagues. Actually there is a very real chance that more (let's say 6/10) of our top 10 organizational prospects fail to get to the majors or' date=' should they get to the majors, fail to have any real impact.

Headley is an established, underrated baseball player who's numbers are kept down because of the ridiculously large ballpark he plays in.

He could be a 20/20 player at Camden Yards with a very high OBP. He's a left handed 3b with an above average glove, a good batting eye and would be a huge upgrade defensively and a moderate upgrade offensively over Betemit.

The only two guys who are untouchable for the Orioles currently are Machado and Bundy. Anyone else is on the trading block. Tillman and either Schoop or Avery plus a lesser prospect or possibly a major league relief pitcher like Gregg (we'd eat the contract in the deal), Lindstrom or Strop (I wouldn't want to trade him but if they are asking for alot we may have to throw him in) could also be thrown in.

Headley would upgrade our lineup, would be a great left handed bat to replace Davis who is struggling mightily as our 3 hole hitter and an enormous defensive upgrade to one of the worst fielding teams in MLB.

Duquette has shown he isn't shy about making trades.....I REALLY hope he can get this one done. Not just for this year but for the future as I'd love to lock Headley up with an extension now before he starts tearing up hitter friendly Camden Yards. He gets traded to a contender and gets a huge upgrade in his offensive stats. Win-win.[/quote']

The Orioles are in contention and I doubt you'd see them dealing a major piece of their current roster. I don't think Strop is going anywhere.

I would flip Bundy (along with the other names most frequently being thrown around) for Headley AND Quentin. Padres really have 2 pieces who are perfect for the Birds this year, and going forward. Quentin is a FA after this season, so I would imagine Duke would like some time to negotiate another year or two before pulling the trigger, but why not go for it?

I would flip Bundy (along with the other names most frequently being thrown around) for Headley AND Quentin. Padres really have 2 pieces who are perfect for the Birds this year, and going forward. Quentin is a FA after this season, so I would imagine Duke would like some time to negotiate another year or two before pulling the trigger, but why not go for it?

:no:

I would NEVER ever flip Bundy for a below average defensive outfielder with possible health issues.

If we even thought about flipping one of the untouchables I would be looking at CarGo and others way before Quentin.

I am going to take this as you maybe not knowing of the value being the #1 prospect in baseball. If Bundy was traded think superstar not just allstar.

Note that I said Headley AND Quentin, not Bundy for Quentin straight up.

I would take Quentin and his Petco numbers over what we are running out to left these days, and Bundy is two years away. This is a team in contention NOW, with some easily plugged holes (weak 3B, especially defensively, and LF pop). There are no guarantees with young pitchers, no matter how good they look in a brief stint in Low A ball.

I say you go for it.

(And yes, I would take CarGo over Q all day long, but not Headley and Q).

Archived