I'm just tired

SilentJames

Again... interesting that people jump ship one game into the 2nd half.

I've seen very few people come through the OH who celebrate[d] the Orioles' failings. And simply posting here at all sort of belies the idea that anyone's "jumping ship." Everyone wants to see the team do well.

As it happens, though, the team has been struggling for weeks. This thread (and threads like it) is not the product of a single game at the start of the season's second half. It's the predictable side-effect of witnessing what seems to be the team's reversion to...less-than-stellar, full-season results.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen very few people come through the OH who celebrate[d] the Orioles' failings. And simply posting here at all sort of belies the idea that anyone's "jumping ship." Everyone wants to see the team do well.

As it happens, though, the team has been struggling for weeks. This thread (and threads like it) is not the product of a single game at the start of the season's second half. It's the predictable side-effect of witnessing what seems to be the team's reversion to...less-than-stellar, full-season results.

Nothing a winning streak can't fix, also.

Nothing a winning streak can't fix, also.

Sure but it seems that that would take several Orioles having very surprising second halves. More than several really. Maybe a half dozen guys just got to get red hot.

Until (and unless) this team totally collapses, I'll take things one game at a time, though I feel your pain. Another collapse and I think I'll be at the point where I can't take the team seriously anymore. I want them to win, but until I see an October series with the O's playing in it I won't ever say this team is "for real" ever again.

Two years from now Bundy could be 17-1 with a 0.50 ERA at the All Star Break with us up by 15 in the division and I'll still assume we're playing above our heads and we'll be in last place by mid August.

Sure but it seems that that would take several Orioles having very surprising second halves. More than several really. Maybe a half dozen guys just got to get red hot.

So you don't think they are capable of playing like they did a couple months ago?

And when good things do happen, they mean ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh so much more. Every sports team I'm a fan of can be dated back to the late 70's early 80's when they were winning. I've seen alot of losing seasons from the O's, Chargers, and 76ers.

And I thought I had it bad being a fan of the Os, Saints, and Hornets. However all are on the rise now!

Being a hipster is exhausting.

You know. I'm quoting this only as an example of something bigger.

What has lead to my tiredness more than anything is the divide among fans on the net and this board especially.

The great start divided the board into two camps. To use the vernacular of the board: lollipoppers and debbie downers.

Of course being remotely positive about anything involving this team means you are a lollipopper. I know I get accused of this at least once a week.

Then there are the downers who have been awaiting this struggle all year. He'll they have almost been rooting for it. In April the line was that 12 game road trip through NY and BOS. Then after the Texas debacle they tried to bury the team. Then it was interleague. And now, to their seeming delight, their faith and hard work seems to be paying off.

Please forgive me for finally breaking. Hammel going down really hurt. Watching JJ Hardy evaporate before my eyes is becoming just to hard to watch right now.

This little comment right here is evidence of that divide. Im not going to sit here and deny my hipsterism, I do live in Remington and have a beard after all, but what exactly does that have to do with anything?

This team has finally gotten me down, the lowest I have been since 2005. I can tell myself it is going to get better but I have seen this team redefine the phrase "worst case scenario" too many times in my life to think otherwise. Even when it seems like the stars are aligning for this team. The combined mediocrity of the entire American League simply holding the door open some cosmic power comes along and reminds the Orioles who they are.

But yes, its being a hipster that makes me tired. I have to go to bed now, I have a banjo lesson in the morning and I have to go work and the vintage t-shirt / fresh produce co-op and my friends' band is playing the Golden West, a tribute to Blanche from the Golden Girls as interpreted through cello and drum machines, so I'm booked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

You have a Super bowl trophy to be happy about. I hope to witness that in my life time.

True. But let me tell you guys I'm down here in New Orleans since 85. Born in Baltimore in 79 I've been an Orioles and Saints fan my whole life. And although the present state of the O's seems hopeless, nothing felt more hopeless than being a Saints fan circa 1999. You see, although founded in 1967 they didn't actually win a playoff game until 2000. Even if the O's suffer another losing season they really can't equal the prolonged futility of my other favorite franchise. That being said, there was no greater feeling in the world than overcoming all odds, all the naysayers, having the wait come to an end in a culmination of joy and tears in 2009. I celebrated with all of the other bleeders of the black and gold and remembered which fair weather fans weren't invited to my Superbowl party (kept a written list no joke). Since then admittedly I've skewed my fandom towards the Orioles a little more recently because the expectation to win big combined with coming up short for two years has made me long for the days of the underdog again. Apples and oranges I know but the point is the longer the wait the greater the euphoria. It's the reason we like starting Madden franchises playing as the Browns. The reason fan is short for fanatic. Don't give in to sabermetrics, common sense or Keith Law. Keep the faith SilentJames, don't pack up the tents now cuz when this thing comes around full circle you're not going to want to miss this party. #HurricaneNotIncluded

True. But let me tell you guys I'm down here in New Orleans since 85. Born in Baltimore in 79 I've been an Orioles and Saints fan my whole life. And although the present state of the O's seems hopeless, nothing felt more hopeless than being a Saints fan circa 1999. You see, although founded in 1967 they didn't actually win a playoff game until 2000. Even if the O's suffer another losing season they really can't equal the prolonged futility of my other favorite franchise. That being said, there was no greater feeling in the world than overcoming all odds, all the naysayers, having the wait come to an end in a culmination of joy and tears in 2009. I celebrated with all of the other bleeders of the black and gold and remembered which fair weather fans weren't invited to my Superbowl party (kept a written list no joke). Since then admittedly I've skewed my fandom towards the Orioles a little more recently because the expectation to win big combined with coming up short for two years has made me long for the days of the underdog again. Apples and oranges I know but the point is the longer the wait the greater the euphoria. It's the reason we like starting Madden franchises playing as the Browns. The reason fan is short for fanatic. Don't give in to sabermetrics, common sense or Keith Law. Keep the faith SilentJames, don't pack up the tents now cuz when this thing comes around full circle you're not going to want to miss this party. #HurricaneNotIncluded

Sports is cyclical. Just think of how bad it is to be a Cubs fan. Or how bad it was to be a Red Sox fan from 1918 til 2004?

Again... interesting that people jump ship one game into the 2nd half.

Most intelligent Orioles fans jumped ship well before the All-star break. No, I'm not insulting anyone as even the optimist surely saw what the rest of us saw, they just chose to ignore it and instead believe in whatever possible numbers or reasons they could hold onto in order to stay positive about our immediate future.

But again, it's not just the way WE are playing. It's the division we are in, the teams we face over the next 81 games and the fact that we are, in fact, the Baltimore Orioles.

It has nothing to do with one game.

Sports is cyclical. Just think of how bad it is to be a Cubs fan. Or how bad it was to be a Red Sox fan from 1918 til 2004?

Just think about Seattle. I'm pretty sure they've never won a single title, in anything, EVER. The Mariners stink and have so for quite some time, the Seahawks did manage to make a SB not too long ago but they lost on a terrible call by a ref and have really been up and down and their basketball team up and left town only to become a NBA Finals caliber team once they left for OKC. They have NOTHING to hold onto up there, no wonder they were responsible for grunge music and depression.

At least Baltimore has won championships in multiple sports, things COULD be worse. And heck, we could also be CLEVELAND lol.

Archived