Anyone else a little worried about Jim Johnson?

Flash- bd

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the pitch to Swisher, I thought JJ looked very good tonight. The Yankees actually took several pitches just below the zone that lesser hitters swing at, but JJ got 'em anyway. It was hairy because of the leadoff double, but an encouraging outing IMO.

Other than the pitch to Swisher, I thought JJ looked very good tonight. The Yankees actually took several pitches just below the zone that lesser hitters swing at, but JJ got 'em anyway. It was hairy because of the leadoff double, but an encouraging outing IMO.

The stuff was there, if not the command (completely).

A blow up there really could've signaled the end-the importance of going out there and getting it done cannot be said enough.

Stuff looked great.

His stuff is always good. It's been baffling to me that he hasn't used his secondaries very much this year, but maybe he's finally starting to learn.

Hopefully he can start to use them before he gets him in a jam, though. Hell, even Dempsey figured out in the postgame report that guys have been sitting on his 2-seemer.

I think that wasn't a bad pitch to Swisher, he just did a great job with it.

The pitch was his two seamer low and away. Just a great job of hitting for Swisher and JJ battled back to still earn that save.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm always worried when a reliever comes in but Johnson is now the best closer that the Os ever had. And he's a homegrown product.

That's overstating it (Randy Myers, Tippy Martinez, Gregg Olson...), but JJ has been excellent.

JJ had a 1.21 ERA at the all star break. In his first 8 outings after the break, he allowed 13 ER in 6.1 innings (11 in 2 outings) and blew 2 of 6 saves. Since then, he has thrown 8 straight shutout innings, saving 7 games and allowing only 3 hits and 1 walk. I'd say he's back in the groove. His ERA understates how dominant he's been most of the time.

Archived