Steve Johnson Tonight

OFFNY

better than anyone could have predicted..or asked..

I didn't know he threw 89, that isn't bad. I think his dad might have been mid-80's? I could be wrong. Regardless, I am a loss for words. So happy for him and his family.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't know he threw 89, that isn't bad. I think his dad might have been mid-80's? I could be wrong. Regardless, I am a loss for words. So happy for him and his family.

I'm almost positive that he got up to 93 in the first inning.

Maybe it was a fast gun, but that's what it showed on the screen at one point. Kinda surprised me because I didn't realize he could dial up to that.

Looks like this kid actually knows how to throw a strike, unlike Matusz and Arrieta.

Here's hoping this is the start to a good career.

Never expected to see the bold written about Steve Johnson. 40 command/control. Give it a little time and you'll be saying the same irrational things about Johnson as you have been about the other young starters.

Johnson had superb command and mixed speeds up nicely. You never know. I think guys with excellent control are far more likely to sneak up on you and become more than you expected than guys who throw the ball hard but no clue how to locate and change speed. Know its only one start and know its the Mariners but at the very least he made a good case to give him the ball again.

Archived