Steve Johnson Tonight

OFFNY

Deceptive delivery with decent FB movement I guess generating the K's. Pretty average secondary stuff imo. Appreciate the effort and attacking the zone, but he looks like a BP guy to me. I'd need to see him pitch against a good team.

The curve was very slow. But that might help him some. Like a right handed McGregor.

Wonder if righthanders can develop a sweeping curve?

I could see him being a longman/spot starter. Maybe a decent number 4-5 pitcher if everything breaks right for him.

And you know the Orioles dont really have a longman right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to overload on Steve Johnson but I think he deserves his own thread (could only find one on the Minors board).

This guy has been thrown around this year between the majors and minors and between the BP and the rotation and has done very well in the chances he has been given. He has to get another start soon.

He had some poor control tonight. Made some really awful pitches. He seemed to settle down and tossed some great fastballs low in the zone. I'm skeptical of his ability to beat a team that's not the Blue Jays or the Mariners. He was bailed out by (Matt Wieters/Toronto's lunatic coaching staff) and I think he will have a very hard time getting away with a poorly-located 87 MPH fastball and loopy secondaries.

He had some poor control tonight. Made some really awful pitches. He seemed to settle down and tossed some great fastballs low in the zone. I'm skeptical of his ability to beat a team that's not the Blue Jays or the Mariners. He was bailed out by (Matt Wieters/Toronto's lunatic coaching staff) and I think he will have a very hard time getting away with a poorly-located 87 MPH fastball and loopy secondaries.

Keep on doubting. This has been his career.

I'd say Johnson has earned another start... But with Hammel back soon

Chen

Hammel

And 3 of Tillman, Johnson, Gonzalez and Britton which 3 do you keep in the rotation.

I'd rather have the problem of having one starter too many than have what we were going through earlier in the season, when our rotation was falling apart.

I'm confident that Showalter will make a rational decision on the matter. ;)

Archived