Steve Johnson Tonight

OFFNY

I doubt that Steve Johnson is feeling dissed by the organization; I'm sure he's happy to be in the majors. I don't really care per se about keeping players happy about their role.

But Buck is hurting the team by not giving Steve Johnson more high-leverage opportunities, whether in the rotation or in middle relief. Using him as a long reliever in games that are already out of hand (yeah, I know, this team can come back, but generally a 7-0 deficit is a game you write off) is not an efficient use of his talent.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep doing your thing SJ. Props. I don't feel like he has been dissed by the organization but fans/people on this board do continue to doubt his long term staying power basically because he doesn't throw the ball about 2-3 miles per hour faster. Again, he has had great success at every level he's ever been and he has been a strikeout pitcher at every level too. I know those other levels weren't the majors, but this isn't all smoke and mirrors folks.

I'm not really addressing anyone specifically but there just seems to be a good number of people who basically think, "oh that's a nice hometown story but he can't be successful in the long run."

Could this count as a side session?

As I said in the other Steve Johnson thread that was just started, he has only pitched 4.33 innings totally over the last 2 weeks, so it's definitely a possibility.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30391/steve-johnson

Buck was fortunate enough to have a 5-1 lead after 5 innings tonight, so he could afford to pull Johnson when he did, and perhaps save him for a start in a few days.

I think that it it was a 1-run or a 2-run game, Buck may have left Stevie-Boy out there for another inning or 2.

We'll see what happens. :)

Also, Johnson got plenty of "love" from the organization earlier this year when he had a groin injury. Johnson subsequently came back and got shelled in his first 2 starts back after said injury. After that, they built him back up, essentially on a starters schedule with 3-5 days rest in between each outing. Johnson has pitched well in 2.33 innings, 3 innings, and 5 innings on June 16th, June 20th, and June 26th, respectively. Then, after Stevie had gotten his confidence and his endurance back, the Tides put him back in their starting rotation.

In the majors, the Orioles have used Johnson as they have needed him this year, sometimes as a starter, and sometimes as a reliever. The notion that Steve Johnson has gotten "jerked around" by the organization this season is a fallacy.

Nice post

He wasn't as good as the two starts he's had, but I think he is better at working out of difficult situations than at least three of the so called Cavalry we have used as starters this year. I have seen Arrieta, Matusz, and Britton all cave in similar situations like Johnson had with the bases loaded tonight.

Yes, he throws a lot of pitches, but in his two starts he went six innings both times striking out seven and nine in under 100 pitches. We got wins in both games. I'll take that over the guy who I don't know what I'm getting from one start to the next.

Archived