Steve Johnson Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He showed a very nice curveball. And pretty decent fastball command. Especially after walking the first two.

Anybody ever recall a guy with a high 80s fastball get so many strikeouts? i can probably count them all on one hand. Guys like this are keepers.

sfosfan

Anybody ever recall a guy with a high 80s fastball get so many strikeouts? i can probably count them all on one hand. Guys like this are keepers.

Roy Firestone was wondering if Miguel Gonzalez would turn out to be Josh Towers, but Johnson is the guy I wonder about. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing, however, I'm not going to worry about it.

As for what a rotation would look like when Hammel comes back, keep in mind that by the end of the year, both Chen and Gonzalez will have pitched a significantly higher number of innings than they did last year.

A six-man rotation with Johnson to keep Chen and Gonzalez relatively fresh for the playoffs and their arms healthy next year is a possibility, don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...
I disagree. He's playing baseball on a team in a playoff run. If he got no love, he'd be watching the games from home.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

If he got the credit he deserved he'd be starting every sixth day, allowing Chen to take an extra day.

This guy just gets no love.
I disagree. He's playing baseball on a team in a playoff run. If he got no love, he'd be watching the games from home.

Also, Johnson got plenty of "love" from the organization earlier this year when he had a groin injury. Johnson subsequently came back and got shelled in his first 2 starts back after said injury. After that, they built him back up, essentially on a starters schedule with 3-5 days rest in between each outing. Johnson has pitched well in 2.33 innings, 3 innings, and 5 innings on June 16th, June 20th, and June 26th, respectively. Then, after Stevie had gotten his confidence and his endurance back, the Tides put him back in their starting rotation.

In the majors, the Orioles have used Johnson as they have needed him this year, sometimes as a starter, and sometimes as a reliever. The notion that Steve Johnson has gotten "jerked around" by the organization this season is a fallacy.

If this was the 1960's before the radar gun was in wide use. He would of found a spot in the rotation.

Professional scouts are pretty capable of judging velocity without radar guns.

He is in the big leagues pitching in meaningful games. My guess is he is pretty OK with the current situation. If he keeps pitching well some team will give him a chance to start.

Archived