Duquette: packages offered not better than what we have

SilentJames

Duquette stated that the stuff being offered was not an improvement over what he feels we already have.

Many of us were non-plussed, at best, over Blanton. Do you agree?

If the lack of the orioles' top prospects was a non-starter for other teams does that change your opinion about us not making a move today?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the real quote:

"The opportunities we looked at had a cost and I wasn't convinced that they weren't a lot better than the people we had in the organization, and you know, hence, we weren't able to make some of the deals we had on the table"

I agree for the most part - a lot of the deals out there weren't good. There was no reason to make a deal just to make a deal.

However, I would've liked Liriano... I don't think he ended up costing that much.

Here's the real quote:

"The opportunities we looked at had a cost and I wasn't convinced that they weren't a lot better than the people we had in the organization, and you know, hence, we weren't able to make some of the deals we had on the table"

Perfectly rational assessment. You can quibble with the evaluation of talent, but the logic is sound.

I'd agree with him as far as most of the rumored targets were concerned. I suspect there may have been some creative acquisitions that were not targeted. But all in all I cannot complain about not giving up Ryan Adams and a low-level relief prospect for two months of Joe Blanton + 1 MM.

I agree for the most part - a lot of the deals out there weren't good. There was no reason to make a deal just to make a deal.

However, I would've liked Liriano... I don't think he ended up costing that much.

Im sorry but Liriano would get lit up in Camden playing the sox and yankees a ton of times in sept. I would rather give Arrieta more starts than Liriano.

Yeah besides Headley, Liriano was a guy that definitely intrigued me. Not that he's doing great but because his stuff is so good that he could get it together and have a really good run.

Duquette stated that the stuff being offered was not an improvement over what he feels we already have.

Many of us were non-plussed, at best, over Blanton. Do you agree?

If the lack of the orioles' top prospects was a non-starter for other teams does that change your opinion about us not making a move today?

I did want them to add a cheap (in trade pieces) kind of generic pitcher for depth. Blanton was one of these. But if DD didn't feel he was worth the price then :noidea:

DD didnt address the money, though, and that concerns me. It seems like if we ate the contract and threw them a nobody prospect we could have had blanton, who I really think would help us down the stretch. Not to mention it raises the issue of the Orioles being cheap.

Archived