Mark Reynolds OPS is .731...

EagleOriole

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked Dave Cameron of Fangraphs about Reynolds' contract situation. This was his answer:

If he's short of six years of service time, then yes, he'd be eligible for arbitration if they declined the option. I wouldn't pay him $11 million next year, and I probably wouldn't go to arb with him either. He's a non-tender candidate.

I asked Dave Cameron of Fangraphs about Reynolds' contract situation. This was his answer:

If he's short of six years of service time, then yes, he'd be eligible for arbitration if they declined the option. I wouldn't pay him $11 million next year, and I probably wouldn't go to arb with him either. He's a non-tender candidate.

What would a player with a 162 average of .237/35/96/.814 over their career get on the open market per year?

I'd say that is worth $11 million. Especially when you consider his much-improved defense at 1B.

The question remains if he will get back to his career averages, but there's no real reason to think that he wont. Looking at his career, the first 4 months of 2012 are an anomaly.

I would pay him $11 million, especially considering the lack of quality 1B options out there.

I think it depends on how the O's see Reynolds defense at 1b.

But, how do we go to war with someone from this list:

Lance Berkman

Jason Giambi

Travis Hafner *

Eric Hinske

Aubrey Huff*

Casey Kotchman

Adam LaRoche *

Carlos Lee

James Loney

Xavier Nady

Mike Napoli

David Ortiz

Lyle Overbay

Carlos Pena

Jim Thome

Ty Wigginton

Lance Berkman

Jason Giambi

Travis Hafner *

Eric Hinske

Aubrey Huff*

Casey Kotchman

Adam LaRoche *

Carlos Lee

James Loney

Xavier Nady

Mike Napoli

David Ortiz

Lyle Overbay

Carlos Pena

Jim Thome

Ty Wigginton

I take Reynolds over every guy on this list.

Lance Berkman

Jason Giambi

Travis Hafner *

Eric Hinske

Aubrey Huff*

Casey Kotchman

Adam LaRoche *

Carlos Lee

James Loney

Xavier Nady

Mike Napoli

David Ortiz

Lyle Overbay

Carlos Pena

Jim Thome

Ty Wigginton

The usual suspects.

I'll take Reynolds for $11 million. Happily.

The usual suspects.

I'll take Reynolds for $11 million. Happily.

I tend to agree; there is value in the continuity of the thing too. Unless there is a significant upgrade - and certainly no one on that list qualifies - I think Reynolds provides enough value - his P/PA number, power, and very improved defense - coupled with the fact that the really seems to have embraced the town and is a big part of the culture.

If there is a feasible way to get him for less (I'm never an expert on this type of thing), w/o running the risk of losing him, I'd do it. But if we had to pay the $11 mill, I wouldn't be too upset about that either.

I take Reynolds over every guy on this list.
La Roche is likely better but will cost a lot more and is 32. Napoli is not, but still pretty good and and can catch. He probably woupd cost more than Reynolds as well. Depends on how good of a month he has going forward. If he blows up, he could choose to force the O's hand, ask for 11 M in arb. and make them non tender him.

I think $11 mm is a bit rich. There are 28 1B who have at least 300 PA. Of those, Reynolds ranks 14th in OPS, so he's about average offensively for a 1B.

I consider Adam LaRoche to be a decent comp for Reynolds -- different type of player, but he has a career .819 OPS. Two years ago, when he was coming off his age 30 season, LaRoche signed a deal for 2 years, $16 mm with a team option for a third year at $10 mm. I think that is about fair market value for Reynolds (.814 career OPS). I'd offer Reynolds a LaRoche-like extension, and if he doesn't take it, then take him to arbitration for 2013.

Archived