How much fun has this season been?

McNulty

1997 is when I graduated high school. I had a good time that year with the birds, but truth be told, I was more worried about partying and women.

This year has been amazing. I found this website because a game every night or so just isn't enough orioles to keep me happy. I've been to more games than any other year. I took my 1 year old son to his first game. I look forward to every game like it's a Raven's game.

I'm not a numbers guy like many of you. Mostly I don't have time for it. All I know is that we have won more games than we have lost. If that wasn't supposed to happen, then good. I'm glad the O's didn't get the memo. My ignorance is bliss :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It really is starting to feel like '89. Castoffs and guys you never heard of before just getting it done somehow. Winning games they're not supposed to. Looking pitiful for stretches then, just when you're ready to give up on them, coming back. I'm just going to enjoy. Even if it falls apart tomorrow 2/3 of a great season is about 2/3 more than we usually get.

It's been great. I've always said '89 was my favorite baseball season ever, even including '83. Because it was so unexpected, and the stories were just so unbelievable. But this year is coming close. Last year totally killed my hope and I actually backed off from watching them by mid-summer. I had almost no expectations coming into the year, hoping that an outlandishly good year could get them near .500.

But starting with the Chris Davis game they really got me back. I just need Lew Ford to fall down while making a great catch and he'll be our Stan Jefferson, then on the highlight tape we need Andino to voiceover "yeaaaaaa boyeee" during one of the clips, and we'll have come full circle.

I have really enjoyed it, but I have to say.. It's been very stressful. Extra Inning nailbiters, injuries, pitchers up and down etc.

Although there have been a ton of close games, including a bunch of extra inning games, I haven't found them that stressful, because we have had so few truly aggravating losses. We've lost a game we were leading after 7 innings only once all year, and only lost 2 in extra innings. There are very few losses where I've gone to bed stewing that defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory.

Although there have been a ton of close games, including a bunch of extra inning games, I haven't found them that stressful, because we have had so few truly aggravating losses. We've lost a game we were leading after 7 innings only once all year, and only lost 2 in extra innings. There are very few losses where I've gone to bed stewing that defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory.

I agree with this. I watch these close games and I keep expecting the bottom to drop out of it bec of the last 15 years and I have to remind myself that we aren't those teams this year.

I only enjoy pooping on other people's hopes and dreams with dry, academic statistical information. So, it's been great so far.

In truth, it's been a dynamite, infuriating, thrilling, anxiety-inducing season. In other words, in many ways, the best example of the awesomeness of baseball imaginable.

Perfectly stated. I think it all goes back to 162.

I'm enjoying this year as much as '89. To me both teams are similar, expected to do nothing they both surprised everyone. '96 and '97 were fun too, but in a different way.

I think it's always more fun when the expectations are low. The '96-97 teams were fun, I even drove to Cleveland for a playoff game I didn't even have tickets to. But after spending my whole life complaining about the Yanks buying pennants, I suddenly found myself rooting for a team that was trying to buy a pennant. Just kinda weird...

As I said in another thread, O's and Ravens playing on the same night in August, and for once, the O's game actually matters. It's been a "found money" season for me. Hope people stop being Chicken Little after every loss and enjoy the rest of the season. The Baseball Gods promise nothing in regard to the future...enjoy a playoff race while you're in it!

I think it's always more fun when the expectations are low. The '96-97 teams were fun, I even drove to Cleveland for a playoff game I didn't even have tickets to. But after spending my whole life complaining about the Yanks buying pennants, I suddenly found myself rooting for a team that was trying to buy a pennant. Just kinda weird...

I rooted for the '96 and '97 teams the same way but it felt like rooting for the bully. The more I think about it this is sort of like '73 when Bumbry and Coggins came up and the O's were a speed team. I like rooting for teams that are more home grown than bought.

Perfectly stated. I think it all goes back to 162.

I agree.

I was going to start a thread on the likeability of this team today but I'll just chime in here. Is this team flawed? Yes, absolutely. They have a ton of holes. Do they care? No. They are this weird mix of scrubs and all-stars who don't give a **** that they're supposed to suck. It is so appealing and I for one am having a blast watching it.

Absolutely love it. I moved away from Bmore just after Camden Yards opened and then lived in Colorado for '96 and '97. Those were fun but I hadn't followed along those two seasons that intently but I loved being back in the playoffs. After that I would check the standings and hope for a blurb on Baseball Tonight. The OH got me following more closely back in '05 and I remembered the heartache from all those years before. I was hooked again. This year feels like playing with house money. It also makes me homesick.

Archived