Dodger fan - with Dodger sources

milkshakeballa

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the Dodgers are doing makes sense if you look at their performance vs. expectations the last few years. Part of it was poor management by Tracy and Little, but they also have had lots of injury issues. They are trying to build a deep roster. Lots of pitchers, hanging onto Kemp and LaRoche, signing Jones when they have Pierre, etc.

They should be able to get sufficient ABs for their four outfielders. LaRoche and Nomar are basically insurance policies for each other. They have starting pitching depth.

So essentially, I agree with milkshakeballa, their "need" for Bedard has probably been exaggerrated around here. They would like to have him but they would rather have their depth so they don't wind up with guys like Brett Tomko, Aaron Sele, David Wells, and some of the other guys they've put on the field in recent years.

Personally the whole Bedard to the Dodgers, I believe, is a moot point. I am hearing Mariners at this point now that Kuroda is ssigning with the Dodgers. I can tell you from what my guy said things were very active and even close between us and the Dodgers at one point.

I think we have the making of a solid deal here. However, I am in a minority on this board when it comes to a deal without Kershaw or Kemp, so that deal might not fly with some of the other members. I think it is solid however. However, I agree with your statement that your B/C prospects are A/B on other teams.

What is the downlow on Delwyn Young? His stats in the minors look solid, and very comparable to our own Nick Markakis' stats (however, Nick was three and a half years younger at the same level). What is his potential? And I see he played some 2B, is he OK defensively there? Thanks!

This is where I'm at odds with Ned and/or whoever else is valueing Young. This kid can flat out MASH. I mean, even our great Vince Scully would just marvel at how hard the ball flies off Young's bat. I really think the guy can hit 25 homeruns and 40 doubles a year. Last year, Young went 4-4 in a game, didn't play the rest of the week, and was sent down to AAA Vegas. I don't know how they could do this, but it happened. He has never gotten an opportunity to show what he can do, and in the times he has played, he has been awesome to watch.

His defense is his weakness. He can not handle 2B anymore, he is just too big. I think he could at least be servicable in left, especially with the offensive numbers he will put up. But, if somehow we still traded for Bedard, I would LOVE to see Young in left. I think his defensive shortcomings would hardly be noticed playing alongside Andrew Jones.

I really think the Dodgers should have traded Young awhile ago. The guy is out of options and 25 years old, and hasn't gotten a chance to play in the big leagues. If he isn't in their long term plans, they are doing the team and Delwynn a disservice by hanging on to him.

I think Ethier will be the overall better player than Young in the longrun, but Young can flat out mash and if you get a chance to see him play, it is worth it. Literally, the ball just flies off his bat. He really needs to get a chance.

I have been suggesting trying to pick up Delwyn Young for a song if the Bedard deal fell through, or asking for him as a throw in if it didn't fall through. He seems to be on his way out of LA. I don't know what it would actually take, but it couldn't be that much. A reliever?

Personally the whole Bedard to the Dodgers, I believe, is a moot point. I am hearing Mariners at this point now that Kuroda is ssigning with the Dodgers. I can tell you from what my guy said things were very active and even close between us and the Dodgers at one point.

How much does the potential Santana deal have to do with us dealing Bedard?

I frequent Dodger Thoughts on Baseball Toaster. Jon Weisman runs probably the best Dodger blog on the internet over there. You guys should check it out.

What is your handle over there? And thanks for your insights, regardless of speculation, it makes it all the more fun.

I don't.

Getting Bedard would cost them too many parts to win now.

Its not like Bedard is going to start knocking in runs on the days hes not on the mound.

The only win now part Bedard would cost them is Kemp who they plan to platoon in RF with Ethier.

Thanks for the update, Belkast. Here's hoping the M's don't try to short change us. :)

Hello all Baltimore fans,

Dodger fan here been lurking all off-season but haven't decided to post until now. But I can ASSURE you, no deal was ever close between LA and BAL for Bedard. I can ASSURE you, that Ned will NOT trade Kemp AND Kershaw, for ANYBODY let alone one of those guys. Ned stated after he watched Kershaw pitch this past season in Jacksonville, that Kershaw will not wear another uniform on his watch. 100%. He will NOT do a 3/4 for 1 deal UNLESS they are B/C level prospects (which in the Dodger farm system is other teams A/B)and Pierre's contract, and NOT including Kemp or Kershaw and I highly doubt Andy will settle for this.

I don't have any information regarding the Dodgers pursuit of Bedard after signing Kuroda yet, but my logic tells me Ned might give Andy a call and see if Andy's price has lowered. But, the only way Ned pulls Bedard in is by trading one of Loiaza, Schmidt, or Lowe (not necessarily to BAL). Take it for what it's worth! Good luck in the off-season and next season.

Welcome aboard! :)

Man, is it just me or are a lot of other fans joining our board as of late. davearm will be able to make a posse. :D

If that +? is Laroche, then it is something to think about. I agree with you about Ethier, but we need an impact bat coming back at the very least. I'd also take McDonald over Elbert.

I wouldn't say the + is LaRoche with what else I offered. If it does, I think the Orioles would have to throw in one of your either B level prospects or a ML ready bullpen arm and would have to take on Pierre and probably take out Ethier. I will say this though, there is a split amongst Dodger brass on LaRoche. Half want to keep him and half want to trade him. There was a report that he wasn't doing some daily exercises that only take 10 minutes or so at his home to take care of his back, and some high level Dodger people lost a lot of confidence in Andy. But LaRoche came up with Kemp, Loney, Young, Martin, Bills and Broxton, all of our young stars, and he was considered the best and the highest upside. Injuries have slowed him down, and he does have a chronic back problem, but I know Logan is VERY high on Andy too. But if it came down to where we could get Bedard and the O's take Pierre, I think Ned outweighs Logan and goes ahead and trades LaRoche.

Ah, I totally forgot Logan start with you guys. Thanks for him! The guy is a flat out genius. Not sure if you guys know the Loney story, but Loney was also a very good left handed pitcher. It was universally known Loney was going to be a pitcher. Logan White, selected Loney in the first round as a first basemen. A lot of people in scouting thought Logan was crazy. When Loney hit .330 last year, not too many people think that today! But I really do think Logan is right now, in a class by himself in his field. I know A LOT of Dodger fans and front office were worried that Logan was going to take the Astros GM job. Dodgers need to keep this guy on their staff for as long as possible.

Archived