Dodger fan - with Dodger sources

milkshakeballa

And McPhail has publically stated that if he were to trade Bedard, it would have to be a deal that swings in the O's favor. I have a feeling that both teams are going to have to lower their expectations a little bit if they want to get something done.

I 100% agree. Personally, with the signing of Kuroda, I highly doubt that a deal gets done. And as to what the Dodgers would give up, I really have no clue. Trades are so complicated, I really couldn't give you an accurate idea.

Personally, I would do a Elbert/McDonald, Ethier, Hu, +? for Bedard as a floor.

Also, some people on this board seem to really undervalue Ethier. Guy is a solid player and will be a starter for years to come. He will be a great asset to a winning team. Someone compared him to Paul O'neill which I thought was a great example. Ethier might not put up some of the offensive numbers PO did during his time, but that is a good comparison. He also has an above average arm, above average defense and I personally feel an above average swing, which in the next few years will be a tough hitter to get out, which he already is now. I think why some people are down on him is because of his speed. He is pretty slow for his size.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I frequent Dodger Thoughts on Baseball Toaster. Jon Weisman runs probably the best Dodger blog on the internet over there. You guys should check it out.

Also, whoever stated the Dodgers viewed Bedard as a luxury rather than a need is absolutely correct.

It was me. I don't disagree with that sentiment, either. I think I'd be okay with my team as presently constructed.

And McPhail has publically stated that if he were to trade Bedard, it would have to be a deal that swings in the O's favor. I have a feeling that both teams are going to have to lower their expectations a little bit if they want to get something done.

I 100% agree. Personally, with the signing of Kuroda, I highly doubt that a deal gets done. And as to what the Dodgers would give up, I really have no clue. Trades are so complicated, I really couldn't give you an accurate idea.

Also, some people on this board seem to really undervalue Ethier. Guy is a solid player and will be a starter for years to come. He will be a great asset to a winning team. Someone compared him to Paul O'neill which I thought was a great example. Ethier might not put up some of the offensive numbers PO did during his bright years, but that is a good comparison. He also has an above average arm, above average defense and I personally feel an above average swing, which in the next few years will be a tough hitter to get out, which he already is now. I think why some people are down on him is because of his speed. He is pretty slow for his size.

I would rather have Kemp than Kershaw...Kershaw, like any young pitcher is a big injury risk.

Amazing the Dodgers would keep Kershaw over Kemp IMO but whatever.

BTW, i heard a lot of the same things about Edwin Jackson and Greg Miller...How did that work out for you?

I too would rather have Kemp. Not only from an injury risk standpoint, but based on the fact that in his short time in the Bigs, Kemp has played very well. He certainly had not been overmatched despite chasing breaking pitches in the dirt from time to time.

Also, some people on this board seem to really undervalue Ethier. Guy is a solid player and will be a starter for years to come. He will be a great asset to a winning team. Someone compared him to Paul O'neill which I thought was a great example. Ethier might not put up some of the offensive numbers PO did during his bright years, but that is a good comparison. He also has an above average arm, above average defense and I personally feel an above average swing, which in the next few years will be a tough hitter to get out, which he already is now. I think why some people are down on him is because of his speed. He is pretty slow for his size.

I think we have the making of a solid deal here. However, I am in a minority on this board when it comes to a deal without Kershaw or Kemp, so that deal might not fly with some of the other members. I think it is solid however. However, I agree with your statement that your B/C prospects are A/B on other teams.

What is the downlow on Delwyn Young? His stats in the minors look solid, and very comparable to our own Nick Markakis' stats (however, Nick was three and a half years younger at the same level). What is his potential? And I see he played some 2B, is he OK defensively there? Thanks!

I would rather have Kemp than Kershaw...Kershaw, like any young pitcher is a big injury risk.

Amazing the Dodgers would keep Kershaw over Kemp IMO but whatever.

BTW, i heard a lot of the same things about Edwin Jackson and Greg Miller...How did that work out for you?

Obviously, not many people can disagree with taking Kemp over Kershaw today. I would personally have Kershaw, but that's because I know how Logan White feels about him whom I trust 100% because I believe he is THAT good at what he does. I personally believe Logan White is the best scout currently in baseball and probably one of the best ever.

As for Edwin Jackson, he was actually drafted out of high school in the 6th round if I remember correctly, and was actually an OF in HS. His command early on was very questionable but he always had great stuff. The Dodgers actually had Edwin skip A ball and go straight to AA Jacksonville, where his command improved. He actually pitched very well for the Doders at the end of 2003, which is why people were so high on him. But the Dodgers really messed up in 2004, whose to blame, I do not know the fulls story, but in spring training they did some tweaks to his delivery and started him in LAas the #5. He lost his control he found and all his confidence. I don't know if he had the makeup to be an ace or not, but you could tell he lost all confidence. When they sent him down, they sent to to AAA Vegas, not Jacksonville, and I don't know if you guys are familiar with Vegas, but to call it a launching pad might be an understatement. Terrible for pitchers, and well...it was terrible for Jackson. At least they learned from their msitakes though, 2 years ago they called up Chad straight from AA, let's hope they do the same with Kershaw.

Miller was a wildcard. I am not too familiar with his story, though I know he had nasty stuff but a very unorthodox delivery which were a major cause in his injury problems. He could still make it though, but time is running out and he will never be what people though he will be.

That's the thing with Kershaw, people say he has GREAT makeup. He will be able to handle the ups and downs of the big league season. And his delivery, it is so fluid. Kershaw's delivery is basically flawless that's why I think he will not sustain a major injury because of pitching.

And Jackson or Miller, though very hyped in their own right, still never had the ceiling that Kershaw has. All of the Dodger brass REALLY believe in this kid...rightfully so.

If that +? is Laroche, then it is something to think about. I agree with you about Ethier, but we need an impact bat coming back at the very least. I'd also take McDonald over Elbert.

Welcome to the board msb. Good to have different perspectives on what goes on in the greatest game on earth.

Personally, I welcome the inside info you may have, I just have a problem with you using the words "I assure you" and "take it to the bank." How can anybody be that certain? Unless you are Ned Coletti's personal assistant or something

True, I shouldn't have made guarantees, but I am fairly certain what I said will come to fruition. ;)

If that +? is Laroche, then it is something to think about. I agree with you about Ethier, but we need an impact bat coming back at the very least. I'd also take McDonald over Elbert.

I think I would take a flyer on Elbert from what I have heard he really has good stuff. Only problem is his injury was a shoulder injury.

I don't have any information regarding the Dodgers pursuit of Bedard after signing Kuroda yet, but my logic tells me Ned might give Andy a call and see if Andy's price has lowered. But, the only way Ned pulls Bedard in is by trading one of Loiaza, Schmidt, or Lowe (not necessarily to BAL). Take it for what it's worth! Good luck in the off-season and next season.

HAHAHA. That is funny. The Dodgers spend $12M a year on a 4th or 5th starter and Ned will call Andy to see if the price for Bedard has dropped?

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

My question for the Dodgers brass would be: don't you see some incompatibility between your "must win now" manager and your prospect hoarding general manager?

I don't.

Getting Bedard would cost them too many parts to win now.

Its not like Bedard is going to start knocking in runs on the days hes not on the mound.

I am an Oriole fan living in L.A. and I have now heard Colleti a bunch of times on the radio. I never thought we were getting both Kershaw and Kemp and wasn't confident he would offer either of them in a package AM deemed acceptable. As has been mentioned, Colleti believes depth is a huge thing and has been very stingy with his prospects.

He was quoted as saying he would only give up 1 or 2 stud prospects for a #1starter and believed that teams were asking for too much. After the hauls brought in by the Marlins and the A's, I see no reason why AM would or should drop his asking price. THat leaves the O's and the Dodgers at an impasse, imo.

Now let's go see what we can get from the Reds and the Mariners and whatever other team Bedard could help (hello Cleveland!) and get a deal done by Christmas.

I also think the Dodgers are still a third or fourth place team, even with Kuroda.

HAHAHA. That is funny. The Dodgers spend $12M a year on a 4th or 5th starter and Ned will call Andy to see if the price for Bedard has dropped?

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

I never said Andy will drop it...nor should he. But obviously, with the signing of Kuroda and one of the main competitors for Bedard "off the board" I believe Ned will still give Andy a ring to see if they can work something out. I don't have any infromation on if this is going to happen, but it is just my belief. Do I think something gets done? I think Kershaw has a better chance of getting traded ;)

Archived