Dodger fan - with Dodger sources

milkshakeballa

What seems to be coming across regarding the Dodgers is a fairly arrogant attitude regarding their young guys. Needing to get blown away by a trade offer is a standard response from most GMs but the attitude coming across is way beyond that. They want to retain their prospects. Fine. Let's see what happens in the next few years and how many playoff appearances they might have made if they had sent a few of their "off limits" players on in a trade. It seems like every new thread that is posted lists another player who is untouchable. At some point, it makes no sense to even deal with them so let's move on to the Reds, Mariners, Cubs, etc. Right now I feel like the Dodgers have gone beyond burning bridges and have gone to thumbing their noses at us. In terms of future dealings my response would be "thank you, no"

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has this been posted?:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071213&content_id=2324544&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

For the moment, at least, right-hander Brandon Morrow has the inside track on being in the rotation. But reports out of Baltimore say the Mariners and Orioles are still involved in trade talks that would send left-hander Erik Bedard to Seattle for Morrow and outfielders Adam Jones and Wladimir Balentien.

But if the Mariners lose out on Kuroda, the Orioles might seek even more for Bedard. So far, the Mariners have refused to include either Jeff Clement or Morrow in a trade for the top-of-the-rotation lefty.

What seems to be coming across regarding the Dodgers is a fairly arrogant attitude regarding their young guys. Needing to get blown away by a trade offer is a standard response from most GMs but the attitude coming across is way beyond that. They want to retain their prospects. Fine. Let's see what happens in the next few years and how many playoff appearances they might have made if they had sent a few of their "off limits" players on in a trade. It seems like every new thread that is posted lists another player who is untouchable. At some point, it makes no sense to even deal with them so let's move on to the Reds, Mariners, Cubs, etc. Right now I feel like the Dodgers have gone beyond burning bridges and have gone to thumbing their noses at us. In terms of future dealings my response would be "thank you, no"

I dunno but have a look at these young players last year

Chad Billingsley Age 22 ERA+ 138

Jonathan Broxton Age 23 ERA+ 160

Russell Martin Age 24 OPS+ 113

Matt Kemp Age 22 OPS+ 125

James Loney OPS+ 131

I think Dodger fans have a little bit of right to be a little bit arrogant about their young players.

That would be something. Although, it does say "reports out of Baltimore", I'd want to hear about "reports out of Seattle".

Not exactly it, but from the Seattle Times:

The Mariners will now have to turn in other directions to meet their goal of a rotation upgrade. They are still pursuing a trade of Baltimore's Erik Bedard. Free agents still on the market include Kyle Lohse and Carlos Silva.

"We have other options," McLaren said of losing Kuroda. "We had another game plan if it didn't work out, and that's where we are now. We've got some coals in the fire. We'll just see where it takes us. Bill's got some things going."

Assistant general manager Lee Pelekoudas agreed the Mariners were prepared to act if Kuroda went elsewhere.

"We're not just going down one path," he said. "We're going down parallel paths, investigating multiple things."

And the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

On the other hand, the Orioles were looking at the Dodgers as one of the possible destinations for Bedard. Now the Mariners' prime competition for Bedard appears to be the Cincinnati Reds and, perhaps, the New York Mets.

...&...

Their offer being rejected, the Mariners are left at perhaps trading for Baltimore's Eric Bedard – and the Orioles' price is likely to go up with Kuroda having gone elsewhere – or foraging through the free agent list for starting pitching.

I dunno but have a look at these young players last year

Chad Billingsley Age 22 ERA+ 138

Jonathan Broxton Age 23 ERA+ 160

Russell Martin Age 24 OPS+ 113

Matt Kemp Age 22 OPS+ 125

James Loney OPS+ 131

I think Dodger fans have a little bit of right to be a little bit arrogant about their young players.

I don't think anyone has a right to be arrogant. But knowing where your value lies and knowing not to throw it away on high-risk, short-term rewards is smart. If I were them, I wouldn't trade for Bedard and I'd be retaining my prospects, too. There's a strong future in them.

I'd be arrogant about having those guys.

This is where I'm at odds with Ned and/or whoever else is valueing Young. This kid can flat out MASH. I mean, even our great Vince Scully would just marvel at how hard the ball flies off Young's bat. I really think the guy can hit 25 homeruns and 40 doubles a year. Last year, Young went 4-4 in a game, didn't play the rest of the week, and was sent down to AAA Vegas. I don't know how they could do this, but it happened. He has never gotten an opportunity to show what he can do, and in the times he has played, he has been awesome to watch.

His defense is his weakness. He can not handle 2B anymore, he is just too big. I think he could at least be servicable in left, especially with the offensive numbers he will put up. But, if somehow we still traded for Bedard, I would LOVE to see Young in left. I think his defensive shortcomings would hardly be noticed playing alongside Andrew Jones.

I really think the Dodgers should have traded Young awhile ago. The guy is out of options and 25 years old, and hasn't gotten a chance to play in the big leagues. If he isn't in their long term plans, they are doing the team and Delwynn a disservice by hanging on to him.

I think Ethier will be the overall better player than Young in the longrun, but Young can flat out mash and if you get a chance to see him play, it is worth it. Literally, the ball just flies off his bat. He really needs to get a chance.

Thanks for the scouting report. Young sounds like an intriging player, I wonder if AM was him targeted? There is one more player I am curious about, Tony Abreu. If you oculd give a scouting report on him, that would be great!

OK, so according to this report and according to the other insider reports being posted on here, the Mariners seem to be willing to include one of their two top outfielders (Jones OR Balentien, not Jones AND Balentien) and unwilling to package them with Morrow and Clement.

According to this logic and after examining the Mariners other top prospects, I still think there are doable scenarios.

I posted this earlier in another thread, but I think one prospect we may have overlooked a bit is young outfielder Michael Saunders.

As a 20-year-old last season, he made it up to Double A after putting up pretty solid numbers across the board in High A.

Here are his stats:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=459431

Accordingly, I'd look for a package of Jones, Tillman, Triunfel, and Saunders.

By my estimation, that's still quite a haul for Bedard. Now I don't know if we'd be able to get all those peices back, but if you're the Mariners, you're desperate for starting pitching, and you STILL get to keep Morrow, Clement, and Balentien, I think you pull the trigger without hesitation.

Anyway, that's just my take, but maybe I have low standards for what I want in return for Bedard...:rolleyes:

The Angels have added Hunter, but have done little else. The Rangers have done little and the A's have likely gotten worse by trading Haren. The Mariners have a good shot at taking that divison with a decent rotation that could be made excellent with the addition of Bedard. My guess is they act and go after him. Clement is a spare part because he is blocked by Jojihma and he has less value at 1B. Jones, Clement and Triunfel is a good start and they can sweeten the package with Tillman or Butler. Jones would be the only loss but would be expendable with Balentien coming up. The Mariners know that Bedard will most likely give them the best shot at the playoffs.

Thanks for the scouting report. Young sounds like an intriging player, I wonder if AM was him targeted? There is one more player I am curious about, Tony Abreu. If you oculd give a scouting report on him, that would be great!

I can do Tony Abreu

Switch hitting middle infielder with impeccable defense at 2b. Would have came up in the Dodgers system as a shortstop but he was always tag-teaming it with Chin-Lung Hu. If it wasn't for Hu, Abreu would have been a SS prospect and he potentially can still be switched there as he has played some SS in AAA and in the majors.

He has gained some muscle in the past year and his offense consists of excellent gap to gap power with very good bat control. He is quite frankly, a doubles machine.

Cons: He is inconsistent at controlling the strike zone and needs to work on plate discipline and drawing walks. His agent is Scott Boras.

Best case scenario: If he can continue to show improvement in plate discipline, he could become an Orlando Hudson type player.

Their offer being rejected, the Mariners are left at perhaps trading for Baltimore's Eric Bedard – and the Orioles' price is likely to go up with Kuroda having gone elsewhere – or foraging through the free agent list for starting pitching.

That is a bit more encouraging. Thanks.

Shifting gears slightly here, but if we were to land Adam Jones and Felix Pie (admitedly, I don't know where the truth is in the Cub's willingness to part with Pie for Roberts) this offseason I would be pretty excited. If this did happen I know the possibilty of moving Jones back to SS would be enticing, but to me, so would the idea of a Jones/Pie/Markakis OF.

Archived