The Agony of Being in YES Blackout Territory

Art Wing

If it isn't painful enough moving from my beloved city of Baltimore to Podunk, I'm blacked out from watching any of the O's/Yank$ games on MLB.TV.

Ok, I can and will listen to the radio broadcast, but this is pure TORTURE.

Any fellow blacked-out folks want to join my pity party on this thread?

:002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry:

:(

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it isn't painful enough moving from my beloved city of Baltimore to Podunk, I'm blacked out from watching any of the O's/Yank$ games on MLB.TV.

:002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry::002_scry:

http://www.vipboxsports.eu/sports/baseball.html

Art, you can PM me before the game if you have any trouble with the link that I gave you.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

I live in YES territory. I had hemmed and hawed about getting MLB.TV. There was a post here last week letting everybody know of the special that MLB was running for $10 for the balance of the season. I took the plunge and also bought a Roku for $70. It's fantastic.

When the O's play the Yankees I can't watch MASN. I have three choices 1) watch YES, 2) watch YES while listening to BAL on Game Day Audio or 3) wait until 90 minutes after the game is over and watch it on MASN.

#1 is too painful

#2 is good except that the times I tried it the YES video feed was about 3 seconds behind the BAL audio feed... it was distracting enough that it took away from the game.

#3 is hard... since I have to wait so long to watch the game (and if it's a night game, it's often too late to watch it that night) and I have to avoid finding out the score in the meantime... but I've ended up doing this more often than not now.

I go to my NYC bar, but I can't afford to watch more than one game out of a series. And every time I watch them there they lose, so I am afraid I'll jinx them. Not to mention I'm the only O's fan in a sea of MFY fans. Just like OPACY I guess. So I am stuck with Manfra. If Joe would call the whole game it would be a pleasure.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think the Thursday game is on MLB network and at least I get the YES network. I'm sure there are bars in Williamsport that get the YES network or you can just go over to Mussina's house :beerchug1: to watch the game!

I'm not sure if he moved back to Montoursville but I think my option of listening to the game on the radio would be more pleasant. :)

I live in YES territory. I had hemmed and hawed about getting MLB.TV. There was a post here last week letting everybody know of the special that MLB was running for $10 for the balance of the season. I took the plunge and also bought a Roku for $70. It's fantastic.

When the O's play the Yankees I can't watch MASN. I have three choices 1) watch YES, 2) watch YES while listening to BAL on Game Day Audio or 3) wait until 90 minutes after the game is over and watch it on MASN.

#1 is too painful

#2 is good except that the times I tried it the YES video feed was about 3 seconds behind the BAL audio feed... it was distracting enough that it took away from the game.

#3 is hard... since I have to wait so long to watch the game (and if it's a night game, it's often too late to watch it that night) and I have to avoid finding out the score in the meantime... but I've ended up doing this more often than not now.

So, how does that work exactly? The Roku lets you stream YES? Free or you pay for each game?

I had a similar problem, as I go to school at the University of Delaware, and we are technically in MASN viewership. However, my apartment complex has their own list of channels they provide, and to my dismay, MASN wasn't on said list. I hurried to buy MLBTV, as there was the $10 deal for the rest of the year only to find out that I was restricted due to blackouts. After some research, I discovered a loophole that allows you to watch the game, regardless of blackouts. It has to do with the IP address of your computer, which if left untouched, would indeed say that you were in New York, and therefore unable to watch. Yet, there are proxy sites that provide outside IP addresses from many remote locations all over the world. This essentially allows you to trick MLBTV into thinking that you are somewhere entirely different than your actual location. It is a very useful trick. The following link provides more information, along with instructions for how to find the proxies, and to edit your preferences (with instructions for each browser).

http://mlbtvblackout.blogspot.com/2009/07/mlbtv-blackout-workaround-bypass.html

I had a similar problem, as I go to school at the University of Delaware, and we are technically in MASN viewership. However, my apartment complex has their own list of channels they provide, and to my dismay, MASN wasn't on said list. I hurried to buy MLBTV, as there was the $10 deal for the rest of the year only to find out that I was restricted due to blackouts. After some research, I discovered a loophole that allows you to watch the game, regardless of blackouts. It has to do with the IP address of your computer, which if left untouched, would indeed say that you were in New York, and therefore unable to watch. Yet, there are proxy sites that provide outside IP addresses from many remote locations all over the world. This essentially allows you to trick MLBTV into thinking that you are somewhere entirely different than your actual location. It is a very useful trick. The following link provides more information, along with instructions for how to find the proxies, and to edit your preferences (with instructions for each browser).

http://mlbtvblackout.blogspot.com/2009/07/mlbtv-blackout-workaround-bypass.html

Thanks for this but I really don't want to mess with my work computer (I use it at home too). I wonder if there's a way to do this on my PS3. I'll read the blog to see if that's possible. Thanks.

I go to my NYC bar, but I can't afford to watch more than one game out of a series. And every time I watch them there they lose, so I am afraid I'll jinx them. Not to mention I'm the only O's fan in a sea of MFY fans. Just like OPACY I guess. So I am stuck with Manfra. If Joe would call the whole game it would be a pleasure.

Just curious, which bar? A few of my NYC based O's fans friends may do viewing parties if the O's make the playoffs. Look for NYC Orioles Fans on Facebook or PM me if you can't find it.

Archived