Inning ending DP by Mark Teixeira to win the game

alaniee

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_09_08_nyamlb_balmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=nyy

Yanks fall back into AL East tie after disputed call

Teixeira questions outcome, umpires after close play at first in ninth

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com | 9/9/2012 12:36 AM ET

Comments (779)

video thumbnail

NYY@BAL: Yanks lose on a disputed double-play ball

BALTIMORE -- Mark Teixeira charged up the first-base line, his strained left calf begging him to slow down, and there was a split-second where he realized that his only hope to beat the play would be to dive head-first.

Teixeira thought he'd tied the game with a daring ninth-inning effort, but umpire Jerry Meals didn't agree. Teixeira spiked his helmet and the Yankees fumed, but the call stood as the Orioles gleefully celebrated a 5-4 victory on Saturday at Camden Yards.

"Sometimes you wonder if the umpires are just trying to get out of there," said Teixeira, who was also burned by a called third strike in the eighth inning. "They don't want you to make a comeback. They want to go home, because those are terrible calls."

Teixeira said that his unfiltered comments will likely earn him a reprimand from the league office, but he refused to back down on a night when CC Sabathia delivered a clunker and the Yankees and Orioles finished knotted atop the American League East for the third time in five days.

"I'm probably going to get fined, but I don't care, really, because I'm out there fighting," Teixeira said. "We're out there fighting. When you're battling like we're battling, and I'm out there on one leg and they can't get a call right, that [ticks] you off. It really does."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi also lambasted Meals' call, which came after Teixeira slapped a slow grounder to the right side of the infield with runners at first and third and one out.

Second baseman Robert Andino whipped the ball to shortstop J.J. Hardy to force out Nick Swisher at second base, and television replays confirmed that Teixeira beat Hardy's return throw to first base with the head-first slide.

"It's not a bang-bang play. He's safe," Girardi said. "He's clearly safe. Jerry missed it. You hate to lose a game that way, but he missed it. It's extremely frustrating."

As if to further prove the point, a laptop computer in the Yankees' clubhouse was showing a screen grab of the play after the game. As Yankees players exited, several stopped to look at the snapshot and grimaced.

"I didn't really feel like we lost the game, I feel like we got cheated out of it," Yankees catcher Russell Martin said.

Mike Winters, the umpiring crew chief, told the New York Daily News that he was not prepared to comment in detail.

"We saw a replay, and from where I'm sitting, it's inconclusive," Winters said. "It's very close. That's a very close play."

Hard for me to care about the Yankees getting screwed but it is very frustrating that baseball can't simply get calls right when they need to. You know how angry we would be if the shoe was on the other foot? If its and buts were candy and nuts, etc. etc., but seriously if this happened to us in a crucial situation (like today! and it has happened before!) I'd be livid.

No more keeping mental tallies of when they got a call and when we got a call, no more human element. Let's start getting everything right. We have the technology, this is a billion dollar business. No more of this "good enough for government work" crap.

Yep, the ump missed it. Stuff happens.

Teixiera suggesting the umps had a pressing date and Martin feeling he was "cheated" would put me in an exceedingly foul state of mind if I was an umpire having to work on a fine autumn Sunday on the beautiful Atlantic Seaboard. It will be interesting to see whether or not they're cowed by the increasingly insufferable Yankee sense of entitlement.

Let's trot out the "A" lineup this time Buck, and see what shakes out.

Yep, the ump missed it. Stuff happens.

Teixiera suggesting the umps had a pressing date and Martin feeling he was "cheated" would put me in an exceedingly foul state of mind if I was an umpire having to work on a fine autumn Sunday on the beautiful Atlantic Seaboard. It will be interesting to see whether or not they're cowed by the increasingly insufferable Yankee sense of entitlement.

Let's trot out the "A" lineup this time Buck, and see what shakes out.

Our hottest pitcher against their coldest one. O's with the momentum from tonight's win, Yankees clubhouse in turmoil with Girardi nearly getting into a fight with a reporter. O's feeling like they have to win it for Nick, Yanks whining about how unfair the world is and feeling sorry for themselves. Umps probably not too thrilled with how Tex is blasting them in the press.

Yeah I'd say this is lining up nicely for the O's to go out and take it to the Yanks tomorrow.

Our hottest pitcher against their coldest one. O's with the momentum from tonight's win, Yankees clubhouse in turmoil with Girardi nearly getting into a fight with a reporter. O's feeling like they have to win it for Nick, Yanks whining about how unfair the world is and feeling sorry for themselves. Umps probably not too thrilled with how Tex is blasting them in the press.

Yeah I'd say this is lining up nicely for the O's to go out and take it to the Yanks tomorrow.

You know what really helps?

Zach Britton vs Freddy Garcia

You know what really helps?

Zach Britton vs Freddy Garcia

Yes. This is the chance for Zach to really establish himself as a go to pitcher for the O's. And the O's hitters have to be absolutely pavlovian thinking about hitting off of Garcia with how homer friendly he's been recently.

I'd like to order another 12 - 0 win for Britton please.

It is obvious he was safe but two things crossed my mind watching the replay.

His right hand is the one he is leading with on the slide and it totally misses the bag. His left hand makes contact long before the ball arrives but if the ump was focused on the lead hand he might have missed that fact. Also close calls at first are often made by sound as well as sight, so sliding in head first eliminates the sound of the spikes hitting the bag and works against the runner.

At any rate I loved the call! :)

You know what? Normally when we win because of a blown call, I usually feel a little pang of guilt. Yeah, it's a win and I'll take it. But I'd rather it be called correctly and get the win "honestly," if you know what I'm saying.

Not this time, though. In the words of a great philosopher, "F them." I'm actually happier he was safe.

You know what? Normally when we win because of a blown call, I usually feel a little pang of guilt. Yeah, it's a win and I'll take it. But I'd rather it be called correctly and get the win "honestly," if you know what I'm saying.

Not this time, though. In the words of a great philosopher, "F them." I'm actually happier he was safe.

I'm right there with ya on preferring a fair and square win, and like you I don't feel a bit sorry for the MFY getting rob on this one.

It's kinda hard to feel sorry for a team that is having a catered (and press covered) Pity Party the likes of which I've never seen.

Screw New York. The whole city is filled with scumbags. Didnt they fete that little worm Jeffery Maier? They all know the call was blown but the mayor of New York had him in for celebrations. They paraded the toolbag around the media. They were just charmed with how the "beloved" Yankees had won. They didnt care that everyone knew that it was bull****.

They made a cheap made for TV movie about the dorky little 12 year old. They celebrated the blown call.

Maybe we should make a movie about this Umpire after the season is over? Celebrate his birthday and parade him around to all the media? Just rub it in their cheating faces.

I hope the umps job the Yankees every game and twice on Sundays!

Archived