Marlins sign former prospect for one at-bat

nevadaO

So the Orioles should sign Joan Jett and give her an at bat because she's a lifelong Orioles fan and would be the first female player to ever play in the major leagues? Only players who have earned the chance should ever play in the major leagues.

The point is that he did earn the chance and it was taken away from him as a result of a concussion.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the Orioles should sign Joan Jett and give her an at bat because she's a lifelong Orioles fan and would be the first female player to ever play in the major leagues? Only players who have earned the chance should ever play in the major leagues.

This isn't even remotely the same thing...this kid DID earn his chance and because a Marlin pitcher had terrible control, he never even got a chance to take a pitch for a ball (off the face doesn't count)...

If the Marlin pitcher had intended to throw at him, would you feel different? If so, ask yourself why for a second...

Is it because he didn't get a fair shot? Well, how is getting beaned in the face on your first pitch a fair shot?

How about if he earned his way up, and just before he stepped in the batter's box, the previous hitter fouled one off his face? There is just as much control from his perspective in any of these situations...

I actually think this is fantastic, and should be applauded...the Marlins stole his chance, and now they are giving it back...this game is otherwise meaningless to all involved...now a young man who had his dream ripped away from him will get his chance to prove to himself that he can face big league pitching, and maybe even get a hit...

He is risking his 1.000 OBP though...I cannot wait to watch this...playing MLB was my dream as well, and I never lived it...But the difference was that I didn't earn it...this kid did...

Okay. So it's a feel good story. The fans in the stands can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Hell.....Maybe Disney can make a movie.

Wow...really?

I just don't get how anyone can not feel good about this. Of course it's a publicity stunt but who cares?

To each is own of course, but he got into a game and is in the record books and has a professional plate appearance already. Getting him this shame AB doesn't make it a great story nor does it change anything. He's still a guy who's career was shortened by injury. there are thousands like him that never even got a chance to be a major leaguer for a day. He should have counted himself lucky.

Wow...really?

I just don't get how anyone can not feel good about this. Of course it's a publicity stunt but who cares?

If baseball is too grandiose and self-important that it can't do something nice in a game that has no implications on anything I think it's being forgotten this is a game that's supposed to be fun.

If baseball is too grandiose and self-important that it can't do something nice in a game that has no implications on anything I think it's being forgotten this is a game that's supposed to be fun.

I agree completly.

This is not some fan he is an accomplished minor leaguer. What's not to like about this?

I agree completly.

This is not some fan he is an accomplished minor leaguer. What's not to like about this?

Because he didn't even play minor league ball this year and it's only because a filmmaker has kept his story alive. Again, if the guy had played minor league ball, even in the Independent league then good for him, but this is nothing more than a publicity stunt. Every major professional sport should be above this kind of stuff.

Because he didn't even play minor league ball this year and it's only because a filmmaker has kept his story alive. Again, if the guy had played minor league ball, even in the Independent league then good for him, but this is nothing more than a publicity stunt. Every major professional sport should be above this kind of stuff.

Greenberg played in independent leagues from 2005 through 2011. In fact he has also played a bit in a couple of Major League organizations as well. ( Kansas city and the Angels according to his wikipedia page.) While it's a publicity stunt, I think that it's also a nice gesture made by a team that desperately needs to finish on a positive note. I have no problem with this guy getting a chance to actually swing a bat in an MLB game.

As you said earlier, to each his own.

Who exactly is Greenberg taking an at-bat away from? Carlos Lee? I see nothing wrong with giving one of the regulars a day off in the final week of a terrible season to make room for a feel-good story like this. Sure, the Marlins are doing it partly for the publicity, but they're also making a player's dreams come true. It's not like they're demoting or releasing another rookie to make room for Greenberg-- they're just benching a veteran for one game. Who does it harm?

Who exactly is Greenberg taking an at-bat away from? Carlos Lee? I see nothing wrong with giving one of the regulars a day off in the final week of a terrible season to make room for a feel-good story like this. Sure, the Marlins are doing it partly for the publicity, but they're also making a player's dreams come true. It's not like they're demoting or releasing another rookie to make room for Greenberg-- they're just benching a veteran for one game. Who does it harm?

Just the integrity of the game. Hey, maybe I'm in the minority with this one, that's fine. I just think the major leagues is above a circus, obviously you guys do not. If Greenberg had played this year and they did it fine, but the guy did not play the entire year. This should have been done years ago when he was still an active player, now it's a sham.

Hey, if you guys want a circus, why not let the Padres give Garth Brooks an official at bat in a real game? Why not sell off ABs late in the year to Billionaires, I mean, who are they really taking away ABs from, who are they hurting? Why not make the dreams come true for the hundreds of minor leaguers who toiled in the minors without ever getting a shot and the hundreds who had the talent but injuries cost them a chance?

I mean, since everyone wants feel good stories, let's just start giving away ABs to military veterans, and policeman, and fire fighters who played some high school ball? They are all heroes and they would be a nice story as well. Where do we draw the line on nice stories? For those of you who agree with this, where do you draw the line? Or do you? Maybe you guys don't mind the sideshow approach for teams that are out of it? Maybe we treat September like a reality show where the teams that are out of it run contests to see who gets the ABs? I mean, who are they really hurting?

Just the integrity of the game. Hey, maybe I'm in the minority with this one, that's fine. I just think the major leagues is above a circus, obviously you guys do not. If Greenberg had played this year and they did it fine, but the guy did not play the entire year. This should have been done years ago when he was still an active player, now it's a sham.

Hey, if you guys want a circus, why not let the Padres give Garth Brooks an official at bat in a real game? Why not sell off ABs late in the year to Billionaires, I mean, who are they really taking away ABs from, who are they hurting? Why not make the dreams come true for the hundreds of minor leaguers who toiled in the minors without ever getting a shot and the hundreds who had the talent but injuries cost them a chance?

I mean, since everyone wants feel good stories, let's just start giving away ABs to military veterans, and policeman, and fire fighters who played some high school ball? They are all heroes and they would be a nice story as well. Where do we draw the line on nice stories? For those of you who agree with this, where do you draw the line? Or do you? Maybe you guys don't mind the sideshow approach for teams that are out of it? Maybe we treat September like a reality show where the teams that are out of it run contests to see who gets the ABs? I mean, who are they really hurting?

How you can compare a police officer who played high school ball to this story? I understand (although I disagree) about the integrity of the game arguement. But you lose me when you compare this story to signing stand up members of a community.

How you can compare a police officer who played high school ball to this story? I understand (although I disagree) about the integrity of the game arguement. But you lose me when you compare this story to signing stand up members of a community.

Because that's what Greenburg is at this point. He was a non-active player who some filmmaker has been keeping his story in the news. The Marlins took the bait and now suddenly everyone is behind this. I'm just trying to show that it's a very slippery slope to give an inactive baseball player a chance at a major league at bat because it's a nice story.

Just because...

[video=youtube;hdhonK8NMm8]

Archived