Marlins sign former prospect for one at-bat

nevadaO

Thought this was worth sharing.

A dream to get "one at-bat" is about to come true for Adam Greenberg.

On NBC's "Today Show" on Thursday, Marlins president David Samson announced to Greenberg that Miami planned to sign him to a one-day big league contract to play on Tuesday.

The "Today Show" retold Greenberg's story of how he was struck in the head with a pitch in his lone big league plate appearance, as well as the challenges the 31-year-old has faced with vertigo and vision issues, which still plague him.
In MLB history, no player has ever had his big league career end on the first pitch, except Greenberg. In the record books, Greenberg's hit by pitch is considered a "plate appearance." He hopes to have an official at-bat.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120927&content_id=39098812&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read about this as well. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/adam-greenberg-seeks-one-official-bat-help-campaign-171733871--mlb.html

Friggin' cool. I'll have to switch over to that game for his at bats on Tuesday. Very classy move by the Marlins - especially when you consider it was a pitcher on their team that hit Greenberg.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but this screams publicity stunt. It would be different if the guy had played minor league ball this year and rewarded him by purchasing his contract, but he didn't play at all this year after spending the last three years in the Atlantic League (Independent Ball). It was unfortunate what happened to him, but this is only a little more legit than running Minnie Minosa out when he was 54 years old so he could be the only player to have played in five decades in the major leagues or sending out Eddie Gaedel.

I guess it's a nice story, but should baseball teams start signing guys with good stories to one day contracts just so they can say they got an official at bat in the major leagues? Nothing against the guy, but I think you should earn your way to the major leagues, not receive a sympathy one-day contract.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but this screams publicity stunt. It would be different if the guy had played minor league ball this year and rewarded him by purchasing his contract, but he didn't play at all this year after spending the last three years in the Atlantic League (Independent Ball). It was unfortunate what happened to him, but this is only a little more legit than running Minnie Minosa out when he was 54 years old so he could be the only player to have played in five decades in the major leagues or sending out Eddie Gaedel.

I guess it's a nice story, but should baseball teams start signing guys with good stories to one day contracts just so they can say they got an official at bat in the major leagues? Nothing against the guy, but I think you should earn your way to the major leagues, not receive a sympathy one-day contract.

I thought this as well, especially since Heath Bell just came out and said everything he did about Ozzie. Probably just trying to deflect the attention to something else.

Still, though, it's nice for him to be able to get a chance even if it's only for one game.

Sorry. Bah humbug. PR stunt by Loria. Greenberg had his chance in 2005 and it counted as a plate appearance. It didn't work out for him. There are many guys in the minors that don't even get that one shot. It looks llike he'll face RA Dickey so more than likely he won't get popped again but never-the-less, his AB probably won't be anything to write home about.

Sorry. Bah humbug. PR stunt by Loria. Greenberg had his chance in 2005 and it counted as a plate appearance. It didn't work out for him. There are many guys in the minors that don't even get that one shot. It looks llike he'll face RA Dickey so more than likely he won't get popped again but never-the-less, his AB probably won't be anything to write home about.

No. He did not "have his shot". That assumes some element of control.

Considering he is the only player in history to have his ML career end on the very first pitch, I think this is pretty cool.

Publicity stunts aren't always bad things.

So the Orioles should sign Joan Jett and give her an at bat because she's a lifelong Orioles fan and would be the first female player to ever play in the major leagues? Only players who have earned the chance should ever play in the major leagues.

Archived