Amidst all the pennant race joy, I do feel bad for Brian Roberts

glenn__davis

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will never understand the heartless anger directed at Roberts. He was injured. He didn't screw the team over. Roberts played hard for the team and he got hurt. Injured players don't give up the money unless it is truly a career ending injury just like owners don't give players signed to small contracts a giant wheelbarrow full of money when they have all star seasons. Free agents are paid for what they accomplished before free agency. Their performance after they sign the contract is a gamble. It's not Roberts fault that this is how major league baseball works.

I don't know. Maybe I'm cold-hearted, but I don't have any sympathy for him really because of the first two reasons you gave. He's not some self-sacrificing guy who's going to give up this year's or next year's money because he's not there, money the team really needs to use somewhere. He's making business decisions and good for him.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing this..

Name One baseball player since the advent of Free Agency or Guaranteed contracts that gave up money at their own freewill because of an injury; self-inflicted or otherwise.

Chances are you can't, because the Union would never ever allow it. Now there are players who have restructured contracts (almost always at the Teams request) but they've always gained more money out of it, hell the Mets are going to be paying Bobby Bonilla for the rest of eternity. If the team really needed money, I have zero doubt that Brian would restructure his contract; but seeing how it hasn't happened, I think its safe to assume that the Team hasn't asked; and they haven't asked because they don't need to.

There was a very loud 'O' during the anthem Sunday at the DC United match at RFK.

I don't understand why DC fans shout 'O' at their games. They have their own team now. It is especially odd when I hear it at a Nationals games. Don't these people know what the 'O' stands for?

Name One baseball player since the advent of Free Agency or Guaranteed contracts that gave up money at their own freewill because of an injury; self-inflicted or otherwise.

Chances are you can't, because the Union would never ever allow it. Now there are players who have restructured contracts (almost always at the Teams request) but they've always gained more money out of it, hell the Mets are going to be paying Bobby Bonilla for the rest of eternity. If the team really needed money, I have zero doubt that Brian would restructure his contract; but seeing how it hasn't happened, I think its safe to assume that the Team hasn't asked; and they haven't asked because they don't need to.

Gil Meche

Are we proposing Brian should retire like Gil Meche? Because if so, yeah he'll give up the money for the season. He didn't give up money while still playing.

Huh?

You wanted a player that gave up guaranteed money and retired. Gil Meche did. Not sure what you mean by "He didn't give up money while still playing."?

I have stated numerous times that I thought Roberts should have retired before this season.

Mark McGwire.

But why on earth should Roberts give any money back to Angelos? It makes no sense. Owners don't give cheap players extra money after great seasons. And why on earth are fans upset that Roberts isn't just giving money back to Angelos?

Also, I'm sure the player's union would go ape **** if Roberts and other players started doing that. This is not part of the business model for ML baseball.

Huh?

You wanted a player that gave up guaranteed money and retired. Gil Meche did. Not sure what you mean by "He didn't give up money while still playing."?

I have stated numerous times that I thought Roberts should have retired before this season.

Actually I asked for a player that gave up guaranteed money; i meant to imply gave up guaranteed money while still playing/attempting to play like Brian; not gave up guaranteed money and retire. Even Gil Meche took his guaranteed money the year before he retired where he was constantly on the DL.. shockingly just like Brian.

It's one thing to think Brian should outright retire and forfeit future money; its another thing to think Brian should hand back some of his money that was already paid/earned because of the injuries. And you'd have to be seriously naive to think the Players Union would even allow that to happen. And i'd like to note that gmelson thinks he should give up this years money; so my arguement isn't aimed at those who think he should have retired. It's aimed at those who think he should give money back he already earned.

But why on earth should Roberts give any money back to Angelos? It makes no sense. Owners don't give cheap players extra money after great seasons. And why on earth are fans upset that Roberts isn't just giving money back to Angelos?

Also, I'm sure the player's union would go ape **** if Roberts and other players started doing that. This is not part of the business model for ML baseball.

Gordo and I just gave examples of players doing exactly that! Did you hear the PA utter one peep of protest in either case?

Personal integrity. I was brought up that a man earns his money. I guess my view might change if I had 10 million in front of me but I would hope that the 42 million + I had already earned would be enough for me.

Of course no one is suggesting that Roberts hands over the entirety of his remaining money. He could easily agree to a buyout, freeing up a slot on the 40 man roster and ending the uncertainty.

I just don't see it ...I know there are not a lot of options out there and 2B is one of our glaring needs' date=' we can't go into the season with Andino and Roberts[/quote']

I think the O's will add some help at 2B but that doesn't mean that Roberts will not get a shot at seeing what he can do.

Archived