What did Curt Schilling say?

Dark Helmet

Sure there is. Gammons is a SUX fan, but is very fond of the O's. He was close to Flanny both being New Englanders. He is a knowledgeable and literate guy, and using the phrase, "having their hearts broken", could very well be an allusion to Bart Giamatti's famous statement about baseball being designed to break your heart. For the less literate and knowledgeable, here it is:

Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.?

― A. Bartlett Giamatti, Take Time For Paradise: Americans And Their Games

You give him way too much credit, and give his followers way too much credit to see that message in his ridiculous tweet. Gammons let his true colours shine through this time, and it was very classless and poor timing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly who cares. We've got our first winning season, and our first playoff season in 15 years, I couldn't care less what Gammons or Law or any other blow hard has to say about our team. The satisfaction and happiness I get comes from this team winning and playing so well. The fact that I stuck it out through thick and thin has only made it better. I don't need the validation of any national writers to enjoy this even more b/c I don't care. There's no need to be caught up in the he said she said BS of the national media. Sit back relax, crack open a cold one and hang on for the ride!

You give him way too much credit, and give his followers way too much credit to see that message in his ridiculous tweet. Gammons let his true colours shine through this time, and it was very classless and poor timing.
There are some people, like Bart Giamatti, who love the game for it's elegence and poetry. They can also have fun hating on the SUX, MFY. or whomevers. because that's part of the poetry. But on a meta level they don't really hate anybody involved in the game they love. Unfortunateyt there are also troglodytes who don't appreciate the poetry, and actually hate the other teams. I'm pretty sure Gammons is not one of them.

He could have easily said ....How great is it watching the Orioles on the field too bad that Torii Hunter had to break their hearts.......

It was intentional

You could have easily used quotation marks and not a ton of ellipses, but you didn't.

Was that intentional?

There are some people, like Bart Giamatti, who love the game for it's elegence and poetry. They can also have fun hating on the SUX, MFY. or whomevers. because that's part of the poetry. But on a meta level they don't really hate anybody involved in the game they love. Unfortunateyt there are also troglodytes who don't appreciate the poetry, and actually hate the other teams. I'm pretty sure Gammons is not one of them.

So you're giving Gammons the benefit of the doubt here?

I'll say if Ole Pete went this route, it was a poor choice of words. Because ambiguity on Twitter doesn't go a long way to helping your cause.

I was at ESPN in 1996 and 1997, so it was a little after the streak... but I never heard Peter say anything negative about the Orioles behind the scenes. He is a blatant Red Sox homer, though. I think it's more that he tends to talk about the Red Sox more than any other team by a wide margin... mostly good, but sometimes critically. It's what he knows the best and what he chooses to report on.

I'm choosing to read this as Adam calling Gammons a b---h.

I echo the other poster who assumes that Adam may have downed some celebratory bubbly before tweeting this gobbledygook ("TO THE WHEELS FALL OFF"?!? I guess he meant Until the wheels fall off). Good for him! He and other O's vets deserved to have a great time last night, especially after that scare in the air.

Of course, they need to be ready to kick some Ray butt by 7:10 this evening!

Gammons? Couldn't care less. Did he also enjoy watching the Rangers beat the Angels later that same day, mending the O's "broken hearts"?

So you're giving Gammons the benefit of the doubt here?

I'll say if Ole Pete went this route, it was a poor choice of words. Because ambiguity on Twitter doesn't go a long way to helping your cause.

I'm saying Gammons is not a troglodyte. In the context of Bart's peice it was apt. I am sure he is familiar with it, as I am sure many here are not.

Schilling can go kick rocks.

Gary Thorne swears he was told it was ketchup.

I guess since he lost all his money, he needs to get relevant as a "sports journalist" again.

What kind of wacko call himself a fire balling philanthropist.

I'm saying Gammons is not a troglodyte. In the context of Bart's peice it was apt. I am sure he is familiar with it, as I am sure many here are not.

He can be familiar with Casey At the Bat for all I care. You play for your audience, and I'm sure his audience is not aware of that piece, nor do I think the extreme majority of people who read it are aware of it. And even if they were aware of it? I'd doubt they'd make the association.

It's beyond a reach. And even if you want to throw terms like troglodyte into the fray, I'd argue that Gammons can have lapses of judgement. And I think this one was certainly a botched way to present a depiction of the image on the field.

Archived