Sinkerballers should not be closers

Fired-Up

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They just shouldn't. Especially against a home run hitting team. I don't care what JJ did this season.

Sinkerballers should not be closing. Give me a power 4-seamer all day long.

Sinkerballers tend to give up LESS homeruns thanks to that sinker, making them ideal against a power team. Plus, you know, 51 saves and all.

Time for me to log off for a while, browsing was uplifting for a while, but too much junk like this pops up.

So the fact that Johnson was one of the two most successful closers in the league this season means nothing to you? That is just silly. Name the pitcher on this team you would have preferred to be the closer.

C'mon Frobby, obviously Strop and his 'power' would have been a better choice all year.... :rolleyes:

Not sure I understand. So a sinkerballer who normally doesn't give up home runs and who put up one of the best seasons ever for a closer shouldn't close? Johnson made a bad pitch on a bad pitch selection by his catcher. He's been money all year and he's the exact kind of pitcher you want against a home run hitting team because he keeps the ball in the park. Yesterday he didn't. It happens.

So the fact that Johnson was one of the two most successful closers in the league this season means nothing to you? That is just silly. Name the pitcher on this team you would have preferred to be the closer.

Strop, Tillman, Hammel, Gonzalez, Bundy, etc. Pretty much anyone with a power fastball or a legit 4-seamer. JJ's ERA was 2.49. That's too high for a closer.

They just shouldn't. Especially against a home run hitting team. I don't care what JJ did this season.

Sinkerballers should not be closing. Give me a power 4-seamer all day long.

Just curious, are you still in the bottle? Did you like it when Gregg was closing?

Strop, Tillman, Hammel, Gonzalez, Bundy, etc. Pretty much anyone with a power fastball or a legit 4-seamer. JJ's ERA was 2.49. That's too high for a closer.

Go ask the Tigers and their fans how Valverde's 4-seamer looked last night.

Home run hitters have the advantage against sinkerballers. There have been studies on that.

I don't want ground balls. I want K's from closers. Fernando Rodney. Craig Kimbrel. Give me that and we are heading to the ALCS.

This is just dumb. Studies on this? Really?!?! The whole idea behind the sinkerball is to get groundballs. It's more important to have good infield defense, which the O's have now. Do you know what I want out of my closer? Saves. Johnson led the majors. I still remember Brad Pennington's high four seamer to Junior Griffey that I think is now on it's 3,000th orbit around Mars.

How's Rodney's looking? See what I mean. Power 4-seamer over a sinkerballer all day long. We are a power closer away from the ALCS. Frikin sinkerballer. Damn.

I don't know how Rodney's looking, because his team isn't in the playoffs. Nice try though. A 'power 4-seamer' guy blew a 2-run lead against the A's. Our sinkerballer blew a one run lead against the MFY's, by throwing ONE bad pitch. Your argument is just flat wrong.

How's Rodney's looking? See what I mean. Power 4-seamer over a sinkerballer all day long. We are a power closer away from the ALCS. Frikin sinkerballer. Damn.

Rodney throws a sinker!!!

It doesn't matter what kind of fastball you throw. If it's down the middle to a guy looking dead red, it's not going to end well. He didn't make a good pitch, and it went over the wall.

Archived