Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

From what I have read he has a physical issue but not an injury. Not sure if it is a Dickey situation or something else.

Hmm you are correct. He apparently just has a small UCL which is referred to as I have seen it as a physical abnormality. Similar to Machado's knee issue perhaps?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm you are correct. He apparently just has a small UCL which is referred to as I have seen it as a physical abnormality. Similar to Machado's knee issue perhaps?

Similar in that each have an inborn abnormality that may make them more injury prone in the future.

I think Dickey would be a better comp.

• 7 months later...
Listening to a Dylan Bundy talking about his Bowie teammates, says that Matt Hobgood has lost 30lbs, looks great and can now pitch more games innings. Let's hope he can build on this.

Hobgood is a friend so take anything said with a grain of salt.

Given how many times he has lost 30 pounds in an offseason Matt must be 150 by now.

Velocity spike.

I guess going from sitting at 92-93 MPH as a Junior to 94-96 as a senior is skyrocketing....oh, and I guess that fact that he was already sitting in the 90's as a sophomore lends even more credibility to your statement...

I like how people point a finger at Joe Jordan...meanwhile, not even coming close to getting the facts straight within your own statements....

I guess going from sitting at 92-93 MPH as a Junior to 94-96 as a senior is skyrocketing....oh, and I guess that fact that he was already sitting in the 90's as a sophomore lends even more credibility to your statement...

I like how people point a finger at Joe Jordan...meanwhile, not even coming close to getting the facts straight within your own statements....

Odd time to quote me but if you want to play...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.hobgood14jun14-story.html#page=1

Two weeks ago, in his last game at Norco (Calif.) High, Hobgood hit the walk-off moonshot, a salute to his father. And Tuesday, the Orioles made Hobgood, the nation's leading high school home run hitter, their No. 1 draft pick. As a pitcher.

A fastball clocked at faster than 98 mph settled that.

In the California state playoffs last year, Hobgood battled another hard-throwing pitcher, Gerrit Cole, whose 100 mph offerings had pro scouts drooling. Hobgood's best had been clocked between 92 to 95 mph.

"Everyone came to see Cole throw 100, and he did," Parcell said. "But Matt touched 98 that day."

From the summer after his Junior year.

FB 91-93, T94

http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=720

So yea, there was a velocity spike.

You got a kid that, as a Junior, throws 91-93 but when the scouts show up all of a sudden hits 98, then he does the same thing his senior year.

Are you telling me he wasn't throwing for the guns?

Let me tell you a bit about your sources...first, the Baltimore Sun had no idea who Matt Hobgood was before Bud Selig called his name as the third pick. They did do a nice job of reporting and trying to find out how Matt was....nonetheless, it is not like he was a local East Coaster that everyone knew....

The Perfect game recap was pretty accurate....

Living in Southern California Matt was playing in front of scouts since he was on the Varsity team as a freshman. By the time Matt was a sophomore starter, he was consistently in front of and around scouts... It is very hard to come out of no where in Southern California...if you show some potential, scouts WILL be following you....

Matt always had something extra for the big named talents in the area...It was common for him to bear down and bring 3-4 extra MPH for big names...Just the other day when Matt was finishing his third inning of work for Bowie, he got ahead to the last batter... suddenly went from 92-93 to a 96 four seam to finish the batter and the inning...I watched nearly all Norco's games back when Matt was playing...he progressed each year gaining 2-3 MPH on the FB....I never saw a real spike in his velo until he had a team on the ropes or a big name was at the plate....Matt has always been a competitor, so yes, he wanted to do good for the scouts and get noticed... which one of us would not be the same way if we were armed with a low to mid 90's FB and 7+ raw power....

again, from the time Matt was playing high school baseball in CA, he always had scouts at his games....it would be easier to try to count games with no scouts there

Let me tell you a bit about your sources...first, the Baltimore Sun had no idea who Matt Hobgood was before Bud Selig called his name as the third pick.

Actually there was a leak a few hours before then that sent everyone scrambling. He was not a popular choice for the media. I agree, they did do a good job covering. BTW, he looked good when I saw him in person on Monday.

Let me tell you a bit about your sources...first, the Baltimore Sun had no idea who Matt Hobgood was before Bud Selig called his name as the third pick. They did do a nice job of reporting and trying to find out how Matt was....nonetheless, it is not like he was a local East Coaster that everyone knew....

Living in Southern California Matt was playing in front of scouts since he was on the Varsity team as a freshman. By the time Matt was a sophomore starter, he was consistently in front of and around scouts... It is very hard to come out of no where in Southern California...if you show some potential, scouts WILL be following you....

Matt always had something extra for the big named talents in the area...It was common for him to bear down and bring 3-4 extra MPH for big names...Just the other day when Matt was finishing his third inning of work for Bowie, he got ahead to the last batter... suddenly went from 92-93 to a 96 four seam to finish the batter and the inning...I watched nearly all Norco's games back when Matt was playing...he progressed each year gaining 2-3 MPH on the FB....I never saw a real spike in his velo until he had a team on the ropes or a big name was at the plate....Matt has always been a competitor, so yes, he wanted to do good for the scouts and get noticed... which one of us would not be the same way if we were armed with a low to mid 90's FB and 7+ raw power....

again, from the time Matt was playing high school baseball in CA, he always had scouts at his games....it would be easier to try to count games with no scouts there

Minor detail but he was the 5th pick.

I agree. To quote Rawnsley in the piece:

Based on Hobgood?s performance, he should be considered a potential first round pick in June.

One of the top 30 profiles in the class? Sure. Top 20? Most likely, given the options. Top 15? I can see the argument, though it's not my profile of preference. Top 5? No, not close.

I agree. To quote Rawnsley in the piece:

One of the top 30 profiles in the class? Sure. Top 20? Most likely, given the options. Top 15? I can see the argument, though it's not my profile of preference. Top 5? No, not close.

Never close. We got blinded. And Joe Jordan loved the story and the fellow.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Matt Hobgood goes on Bowie DL with rt shoulder impingement.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">April 17, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd guess this would be it then. Right? Is that not what he had all the surgeries for?

Archived