Save Mark Reynolds

Save-reynolds

I like Reynolds. I think our IF defense will suffer from Davis or someone else at 1B. I think Reynolds played most of the season with an oblique and then the arm injury, and his power numbers suffered from it. He still saw a lot of pitches and upped his OBP while lowering his K %. His career average numbers are better than anything we can get on the FA market and to trade for someone better, will cost a lot in talent we need to hold on to. I think the O's will negotiate a two year deal at a reasonable cost, say 2/16 M. If he puts up a career average year with good defense he will be well worth it IMO.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Reynolds. I think our IF defense will suffer from Davis or someone else at 1B. I think Reynolds played most of the season with an oblique and then the arm injury, and his power numbers suffered from it. He still saw a lot of pitches and upped his OBP while lowering his K %. His career average numbers are better than anything we can get on the FA market and to trade for someone better, will cost a lot in talent we need to hold on to. I think the O's will negotiate a two year deal at a reasonable cost, say 2/16 M. If he puts up a career average year with good defense he will be well worth it IMO.

Very well reasoned.

With a solid core in place the team doesn't really have a lot of open positions to fix the problems with the lineup. Unless Chris Davis gets traded, you have 1b and dh to work with.

If you keep Markakis leading off you need a 2 hole hitter who can get on base. I'd also like to see another middle of the order hitter to take some pressure off of Jones, and be able to move Wieters down the lineup.

How we fill those needs will determine whether Reynolds is brought back.

Very simply, if the O's non-tender Reynolds they need to fill his spot with someone better. "Not as good, but cheaper" won't cut it with me. Nor will "may be as good". I like the Sherriff and I'm not interested in replacing him unless it's a clear improvement.

This is perfectly said and is my thinking as well.

The hard part with this off season is it seems almost everyone knows we have to improve but then when i see talk on here it seems people are like we should keep McLouth/Reimold in LF, Davis to DH, and i don't think that they do anything at second base. I am fine with going into next season with LF/Dh positions filled with a combination of Nate/Chris/Nolan/and Hoes. So 1st is the place that seems logical to improve yet many people want to keep Reynolds, so it makes it hard to keep him and also improve the team imo. Then you look at the free agents and say well Mark is as good or better then the other choices. So unless we make a trade i think it hurts the team more to loose him and add a free agent compared to keeping him.

How about a one year deal plus club option for Youkilis?

He's clutch, he is a terrific fielder.

He doesn't whiff or GIDP much.

He is even a strong backup plan at 3rd if Manny doesn't cut it, he can hit in the middle of the order, he is a winner, and he hates the Yankees and has something to prove to the Red Sox.

He will come cheap after his injury prone years.

And even in his crappiest season, he was better than Reynolds.

I agree with what a lot of posters have said so far, I'm on board with Marky Mark. I mean we knew what we were getting when we traded for him, a guy who strikes out a ton but can also hit moon shot bombs. We thought he was a solid defensive player, he still is although he has changed corners of the diamond. He had a bit of an off year this year, although still hit some very crucial homers, I think he deserves another shot. I'm a big fan and am definitely on board to re-sign him.

He's one of those players that you can just tell if he goes somewhere else he's going to have a big year.

I agree with what a lot of posters have said so far, I'm on board with Marky Mark. I mean we knew what we were getting when we traded for him, a guy who strikes out a ton but can also hit moon shot bombs. We thought he was a solid defensive player, he still is although he has changed corners of the diamond. He had a bit of an off year this year, although still hit some very crucial homers, I think he deserves another shot. I'm a big fan and am definitely on board to re-sign him.

He's one of those players that you can just tell if he goes somewhere else he's going to have a big year.

yep. now that Reynolds knows where his strengths are (in 1b)...without injuries he could do some serious long-ball damage. I know Steve Melewski is a fan of Reynolds and I'm inclined to agree with him when he says that people need to not get so caught up with his strike out rate. I mean yeah, we would ALL love it if that were not an issue for him, but that's not what Mark is there for. It's his power and (now) his defense. If he has a healthy year with minimal injuries...especially knowing he would start the year at 1b? he's got my vote.

just my opinion..but I don't see a better option being realistic for the O's.

He is even a strong backup plan at 3rd if Manny doesn't cut it, he can hit in the middle of the order, he is a winner, and he hates the Yankees and has something to prove to the Red Sox.

You have to figure out a way to deal Betemit if you decide to go with Youkilis. Youk would be able to get plenty of playing time, even if Reynolds is retained. He and Chris Davis would be a disgustingly good platoon.

An old expensive injury prone declining Youkilis over a just-hitting-his-prime Reynolds?

Nooooooooo thank you.

Very simply, if the O's non-tender Reynolds they need to fill his spot with someone better. "Not as good, but cheaper" won't cut it with me. Nor will "may be as good". I like the Sherriff and I'm not interested in replacing him unless it's a clear improvement.

:agree:

If Double D thinks he's worth 7.5 but Mark wants 9, well then I think you gotta bite the bullet and go up to 9, unless there is some great first baseman available that we are all overlooking.

I'm tired of constantly looking for a first baseman year after year, and judging by Davis' work over there early last year, he certainly is not the answer. I would offer Reynolds 2/16 and see if he takes it.

:agree:

If Double D thinks he's worth 7.5 but Mark wants 9, well then I think you gotta bite the bullet and go up to 9, unless there is some great first baseman available that we are all overlooking.

I'm tired of constantly looking for a first baseman year after year, and judging by Davis' work over there early last year, he certainly is not the answer. I would offer Reynolds 2/16 and see if he takes it.

Davis is making a lot less than 9 M,and while not as good a 1B the difference wouldn't be worth the 6-7 M in salaries.

Archived