Roch on Hamilton, Reynolds update, pitching depth

Annie

I agree with this. First time in years that we've had a solid first baseman, and we're gonna let him walk for nothing over 1.5 million bucks. Assanine decision!

I wouldn't call him solid. He had one hot month, and the rest of the season was awful. That's not really worth 9M. He could be better next year, but there were a lot of swing and misses on fat pitches that he crushed 2 years ago. It does signal a decline.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duquette said he's heard that the Brewers and Pirates are two teams with possible interest in Mark Reynolds if the first baseman hits the free-agent market, which is the expected outcome.

"The $9 million (in arbitration) is probably a little too expensive for what you get out of him," Duquette said. "I don't think the Orioles would be excluded from negotiating a deal beyond the tender date.

Annie, if you are going to post a quote like this, you need to make it clear that it is quoting Jim Duquette, not Dan Duquette. When I first read this, I was assuming it was Dan, and I was shocked that he'd be commenting on what other teams were interested in Reynolds and exactly how much salary in arbitration was too much.

Annie, if you are going to post a quote like this, you need to make it clear that it is quoting Jim Duquette, not Dan Duquette. When I first read this, I was assuming it was Dan, and I was shocked that he'd be commenting on what other teams were interested in Reynolds and exactly how much salary in arbitration was too much.

well, sorry for your confusion. I didn't spend too much time thinking about the quote - figured most would read the attached article. it was meant to highlight my comment below it.

Even if he does return he needs to add a power bat.
Bingo! We have a winner!

Also, even IF the Orioles eventually let him go to FA, you are not taking into account the"negotiating tactics all teams use". Sometimes what they say in the press is a smokescreen. I'd like

Reynolds back, but I'd also really try and get a deal with Hamilton for 4 years. The O's DO need a power bat.

I need someone to explain why a "power bat" is a priority for a team that hit 214 home runs. Having another "power bat" is not a priority at all, in my opinion. Improving the team's OBP is the priority.

I need someone to explain why a "power bat" is a priority for a team that hit 214 home runs. Having another "power bat" is not a priority at all, in my opinion. Improving the team's OBP is the priority.
:agree: Austin Kearns: career OBP vs LHP .372.:laughlol:

I don't understand at all unless they plan on paying someone alot of money and firgure they can get Davis to play at a much higher level at first. IMO theres no way we make the playoffs without the d Reynolds brought at first everyday. Not to metion the guy plays with a ton of heart and seems to be a good clubhouse guy. DD has done a great job to this point so I'll support he and Buck's decision either way but I certinly won't like it.

I will be annoyed if Reynolds leaves, and no new hitters are added. If we aren't going to get Reynolds, then at least give Victorino or Pagan a 2 year deal to play LF and hit leadoff.

Also, if Duquette really doesn't think Reynolds works for next year, then why not trade him and get a low-level prospect?

I'll never understand the Victorino love.

I'll never understand the Victorino love.

Let me help you: he's a multi-time All Star and Gold Glover with power and speed that should have several good years left in him and he shouldn't cost more than 7-9 million.

Yes but minus the speed.

The team was last in SBs last year. It would be nice to be able to manufacture some runs when the ball isn't carrying.

I don't understand at all unless they plan on paying someone alot of money and firgure they can get Davis to play at a much higher level at first. IMO theres no way we make the playoffs without the d Reynolds brought at first everyday. Not to metion the guy plays with a ton of heart and seems to be a good clubhouse guy. DD has done a great job to this point so I'll support he and Buck's decision either way but I certinly won't like it.

I'll give DD the benefit of the doubt on one thing. If they just don't want Mark back and think they can get a better alternative, well, I don't agree, but that's his job and I'll understand. However, if he thinks Mark is worth 7, but not worth an extra two million at 9, and that 2 million dollars is the reason we're not bringing him back, well, that's just cheap, and I will not agree with that line of thinking.

Because we struggled so much to hit with RISP. I agree that OBP is a priority, but it was last year too and it didn't get any better. Are there no hitters out there that can get on base and drive in runs?

The team was last in SBs last year. It would be nice to be able to manufacture some runs when the ball isn't carrying.

I don't care too much about this. The Orioles were about 5 runs worse than league average in "baserunning runs," including being 3 runs worse than average due to stolen bases. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=1119493 I'd love to have some more speed, but it is much less of an issue than our low OBP when it comes to its effect on the number of runs we score.

Because we struggled so much to hit with RISP. I agree that OBP is a priority, but it was last year too and it didn't get any better. Are there no hitters out there that can get on base and drive in runs?

Reynolds numbers with men on and 2 outs....

on 1st, lt 2 out 76 104 91 21 7 0 5 23 0 1 10 24 .231 .317 .473 .790 43 19 2 0 1 0 0 .254 105 104

on 3rd, lt 2 out 27 29 25 7 3 0 1 14 0 0 2 7 .280 .310 .520 .830 13 2 0 0 2 0 0 .316 114 97

on 3rd, 2 out 21 22 18 8 3 0 1 14 0 0 4 7 .444 .545 .778 1.323 14 0 0 0 0 1 0 .700 244 277

Archived