Josh Hamilton market update - 3 years $60-75 million

TradeAngelos

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. The O's under Peter Angelos are the O's under Peter Angelos. They're going to look for bargains, sign their own (Markakis, Hardy, Jones, Mora, Roberts), and make a few trades. Fortunately, unlike previous GMs, Duquette is literally exploring all avenues to acquire talent, the drafting and scouting should be improved under him, Buck is the best manager this organization has seen since Davey, and there are some actual real prospects in the system knocking on the door.

But no amount of fist-shaking on the internet about Peter Angelos is going to make him throw a dumptruck of money at a free agent, whether we like it or not. So put away the pitchfork and use your time more wisely, I say.

I'm just happy that there's finally a pitching program instituted throughout the system, that there's a better focus internationally, and that for the first time in awhile, we're not complaining that the entire organization is broken. A lot of good has been done, some starting with Andy, and continued so far with Dan.

Well, it's a slow offseason. If we all used our time more wisely, then to discuss "what if" scenerios concerning the Orioles, then these boards would be pretty slow.

Hey - the A's signed Cespedes last year. I would be delighted with that type of signing.

Markakis, Jones and Roberts?

Tony,

I'd like this post to be the first in a petition for you to start a sticky thread titled "All things related to Peter Angelos and payroll." Then we could all simply refer people to that thread to air their grievances, and people who continue to raise the same point 50 times in 50 different threads could get their walking papers.

And the O's signed Chen and Wada.

True dat. And obviously, the Chen signing was an absolute stroke of genius. But Cespedes was a whole other level of international free agent, right? I mean... he was the cream of the international free agent crop. I had never really even heard of Chen before we were negotiating with him. My point is, the A's made a very bold free agent move to sign Cespedes. I am growing concerned that we wouldn't even take that bold of a step... even though I believe we must in order to truly compete for the division next year.

Tony,

I'd like this post to be the first in a petition for you to start a sticky thread titled "All things related to Peter Angelos and payroll." Then we could all simply refer people to that thread to air their grievances, and people who continue to raise the same point 50 times in 50 different threads could get their walking papers.

Seconded. And it should start with a poll asking "Do you like Peter Angelos?" too. That should clear up the straw man argument that those who aren't furious that Hamilton wasn't signed are Angelos supporters.

I live in Texas and just heard on the radio that Hamilton's agents did not contact the Rangers for a counter offer. Apparently the Rangers organization is pissed because they were supposedly going to get to make a counter on Hamilton.

That's on TEX. they shouldn't have kept jerking him around.

I live in Texas and just heard on the radio that Hamilton's agents did not contact the Rangers for a counter offer. Apparently the Rangers organization is pissed because they were supposedly going to get to make a counter on Hamilton.
That's on TEX. they shouldn't have kept jerking him around.

Regardless of who's actually at fault, this is going to be entertaining next season. Rangers fans already had mixed feelings about him and then he goes and signs with their arch-rival, allegedly without giving the Rangers an opportunity at a counter offer. Pretty juicy.

Tony,

And your point? That we signed our own players? That is not an acquisition on the open FA market. I get it that we're paying money for talent, and I was a huge fan of the Jones signing - actually of the Roberts and Markakis signings to, truth be told. And I hope we do the same with Wieters. But it's not exactly the same as signing a high-profile FA like Cespedes. That actually constitutes adding new talent to the roster. I'm starting to see the same hero worship of DD that we once had for AM. No questioning of the Great Oz!

Archived