Roch answers "Why haven't the Orioles made a trade?"

ChaosLex

Carlos Pena just signed a 1 year deal with the 'stros for $2.9 M. I'm not a big fan, but on the surface it seems like this would have been a solid plan B for losing Reynolds. The Orioles would have certainly been better defensively with Pena at 1b and Davis and Reimold splitting time between DH and LF.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3167/carlos-pena

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swisher is 32, will require a 4 year commitment at around $60 million or more total, and isn't a great player. Good, but not great. It's very possible that 2 years into the deal, his bat speed drops off and he goes from being a good everyday player to little more than a decent backup- a $15 million dollar backup that cost us a first round pick.

His career average OPS is .828(.837 in 2012). I can easily see Betemit and a solid RH platoon partner putting up fairly similar production for a one year commitment at $3 or 4 million total, and without costing us that first round pick.

Fine then, but you know what? You could say this about any FA. Look what happened to Albert Belle! Wasn't he 28 when they acquired him? At some point you look away from the dooms-day view and go for a piece or two. We aren't talking about the O's going after4 or 5 FA's... we are talking about O-N-E hitter. One. That's it. This shouldn't be that big of a hill to climb for the O's or their front office coffers.

I'm not 100% advocating for the O's to acquire anyone. But, I do believe there comes a point and time in which you need to be aggressive to improve. If it costs some money, then so be it. I'm sure a lot of us are going to be wondering what-if, if it comes to a point and the O's aren't playing up to expectations based on last year.

Carlos Pena just signed a 1 year deal with the 'stros for $2.9 M. I'm not a big fan, but on the surface it seems like this would have been a solid plan B for losing Reynolds. The Orioles would have certainly been better defensively with Pena at 1b and Davis and Reimold splitting time between DH and LF.

A 34 year old that hit .197 and SLGed around .350 in close to a full season last year? And you knock DD's depth moves like Valencia and Jackson, who are both young enough to get back on track and contribute in some way?

Consistency, please.

Yeah, his .684 OPS would have looked really good on our team last year. I think it's almost a certainty our current platoon situation outproduces Pena.

So I guess we can't make a push for Swisher either. Wow. This is getting out of hand.

4/55 and the deal is done. I can't imagine they couldn't find that in their "limited" budget.

MSK

They could afford that. But I don't want him. He's Nick Swisher.

Yeah, his .684 OPS would have looked really good on our team last year. I think it's almost a certainty our current platoon situation outproduces Pena.

I would have been horrified if we had signed him. We don't need Platoon. Davis will outperform Pena and the Sheriff.

Pena bats lefty and put up a .636 OPS vs. LHP lasr year. We have Davis and Betemit. No need for Pena. I'm not even sure I agree with your certainty that Pena would be a better defender than Davis. He is average at best at !B. I see this as no loss for us at all. From what I see, the only way he would replace Reynolds would be in the strikeout column.

I would have been horrified if we had signed him. We don't need Platoon. Davis will outperform Pena and the Sheriff.

I was talking strictly offense and Davis would have still been in the lineup. So, I was comparing Pena to what he would essentially be replacing on offense, which would be the Betemit/RH platoon mate we currently have planned.

I was talking strictly offense and Davis would have still been in the lineup. So, I was comparing Pena to what he would essentially be replacing on offense, which would be the Betemit/RH platoon mate we currently have planned.
Pretty sure the Betemit platoon would be much more productive than Pena was last season.

This. Morse is a great target for us. I would really like to see that done and stick him in platoon at DH and a Chris Davis type roll playing other positions in case of injury.

I wonder if the Nats would be interested in Patton (for Morse) as a LF replacement for Sean Burnett, who they lost via free agency. Think that would be enough?

I would look into Hiroyuki Nakajima for 2B. I wold sign Saunders or Marcum and also take a flier on Jair Jurrjens if that did not work I would call the Indians and see what they wanted for Masterson. Or the Marlins for Nolasco. I would then try to move young pitching for a bat. If that didn't work I would trade for Morse.

Take away they're ridiculous record in extra innings games last season and that team doesn't make the playoffs. There's no doubt the team has a good foundation, but they're not good enough to sit idly by, while the other teams in their division make efforts to improve their rosters.

I see where you are coming from and I agree to a certain extent. Still playing devils advocate though...We should have a full season of Nick Markakis. Maybe Tillman steps up and really is a stud. A healthy Hammel for the whole season.

Obviously that doesn't take into account for what could go wrong...if this team stands pat I still don't think they're that bad, though.

Archived