Roch answers "Why haven't the Orioles made a trade?"

ChaosLex

Maybe you should go back to rambling because there is a lot of misinformation in this post. Ludwick resigned with the Reds, Sanchez with the Tigers. Why would Polanco be a good depth option? He is a shell of his former self. Kelly Johnson was abysmal last year. Lohse and LaRoche will cost the first round draft pick and aren't good bets to be worth the contracts they sign. Reimold has very little value and the only way he nets a TOR starter is as a 3rd or 4th piece in a trade.

I wasn't up to date on the recent hot stove signings. Sorry, been busy with work and my social life.

I know these aren't ideal, but these are the kinds of things DD might do under Angelos.

MSK

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2012 Orioles were 11-7 against a Blue Jays team marred with injuries and inconsistency. However, this same team took 2 of 4 in that crucial series before the end of the season. If you really believe we can compete against the new Jays without further improvement in terms of offense and pitching, I don't know what else to say.

MSK

MSK, what's todays date? Also, somewhat related, when is Opening Day? And roughly, how much time is between the two?

The 2012 Orioles were 11-7 against a Blue Jays team marred with injuries and inconsistency. However, this same team took 2 of 4 in that crucial series before the end of the season. If you really believe we can compete against the new Jays without further improvement in terms of offense and pitching, I don't know what else to say.

MSK

So the Orioles went .500 against the Blue Jays in one series at the end of the year? And they were 2 games over .500 for the year against the Blue Jays. Even if we come back to a 9-9 record against the Blue Jays, that is still playing them even. The Orioles were also pretty beat up to end the year. Besides, taking too much from one series will make you draw conclusions that aren't accurate. The bigger concern isn't how the two teams play each other but rather how they play the rest of the league.

MSK, what's todays date? Also, somewhat related, when is Opening Day? And roughly, how much time is between the two?

There are about 105 days til Opening Day.

I get what you're saying, but like every other year, the Orioles never move on anything until after all the good players are gone.

And who's left of any consequence?

MSK

MSK

And we weren't?

Reynolds didn't hit until August or after mid-September. 'Dino underperformed all year, as did Hardy. Nick missed 2 months. Hammel missed 2+ months. Even backup players like Flaherty, Betemit and Nick Johnson missed time. Lew Ford and Omar Quintanilla were getting starts for weeks at a time.

Quit being so dramatic.

Thome.

Was a great veteran for guidance and teaching respect.

Horrible when we really needed him.

Another reclamation project.

We got very lucky with McClouth.

MSK

Except those aren't the type of things you listed. You listed signing a SP who just got 5/$80M as a DD thing. Obviously that is not.

DD has kept doing his thing by collecting Casilla, Valencia, Jackson, and others.

There are about 105 days til Opening Day.

I get what you're saying, but like every other year, the Orioles never move on anything until after all the good players are gone.

And who's left of any consequence?

MSK

Who is to say trades could happen that'd get us some players that we're not even aware of yet?

Just because a lot of the known entities are off the market doesn't mean some stuff can't go down.

Chill man, there's more to go.

Who is to say trades could happen that'd get us some players that we're not even aware of yet?

Just because a lot of the known entities are off the market doesn't mean some stuff can't go down.

Chill man, there's more to go.

It is like when people get upset that the Orioles aren't mentioned in more rumors, like that is an adequate way of judging DD.

It is like when people get upset that the Orioles aren't mentioned in more rumors, like that is an adequate way of judging DD.

Or that when the Orioles are mentioned in rumors but don't get the player... "They were slow," "Didn't want it bad enough," etc, etc.

I sincerely doubt that DD is just resting on this season and is content on bringing most of the team back and hoping that the same mojo and magic is still here. He's gonna be picky, he's going to be calculated, that much I am willing to bet on.

The Orioles will not throw money around to cover up mistakes like the Yankees do. So if DD is going to make a move, he's going to be damn sure that it's a good one, IMO.

Honestly, what moves could have been realistically made thus far, given where the Orioles are at with who they have to trade? There's been a lot of lamenting about lack of moves but have there been any real solutions offered? Do people want to give up Bundy? As much as I wanted Butler, that was a pipe dream. We don't have the depth of young talent to make that type of trade right now.

I was one that really wanted to see a MOO bat. But at the end of the day, I think DD is wise to hold onto our young pitching if it is undervalued in the market.

We all have said that the blueprint to us being a winner again is starting pitching. Last year was indeed a little flukey when it comes to that, and most likely it will stand as an exception to the rule. (we did improve out SP ERA almost a full run)

Once again, we need a good starting 5 to contend, and there is no doubt in my mind that we have a chance to have a good starting 5. We will win and lose with those guys, regardless of what bat we acquire that will end up being 1 player out of 25, IMO.

Honestly, what moves could have been realistically made thus far, given where the Orioles are at with who they have to trade? There's been a lot of lamenting about lack of moves but have there been any real solutions offered? Do people want to give up Bundy? As much as I wanted Butler, that was a pipe dream. We don't have the depth of young talent to make that type of trade right now.

I was one that really wanted to see a MOO bat. But at the end of the day, I think DD is wise to hold onto our young pitching if it is undervalued in the market.

We all have said that the blueprint to us being a winner again is starting pitching. Last year was indeed a little flukey when it comes to that, and most likely it will stand as an exception to the rule. (we did improve out SP ERA almost a full run)

Once again, we need a good starting 5 to contend, and there is no doubt in my mind that we have a chance to have a good starting 5. We will win and lose with those guys, regardless of what bat we acquire that will end up being 1 player out of 25, IMO.

Pitching, pitching, pitching. Then pitching. Some more pitching. Then a little more pitching.

If we have a top 5 bullpen(the evidence says we do), a top 12-15 rotation(the evidence says we do), and a top 12-15 offense(the evidence says we do), then I like our chances in 2013.

Archived