Rosenthal: O's made run at Upton? (Upton rejects trade to M's)

ChaosLex

Still don't get it. The plan has been to trade surplus pitching for a bat. I'd guess we have a pretty good idea of what surplus pitchers we want to trade. Indications are the market for our surplus pitching isn't there. "Deciding quickly" doesn't change the market aad why would we sell low now on the fear they'll go lower? That doesn't make sense to me. I dont hink we need a "bat" that badly. Maybe the market will change for the better..and if it doesn't then it may be better to just keep the pitching.

I'm sorry, maybe somebody can make more sense out of this than I can.

Ok now you're confusing me. I'm not saying to sell low at all. Again IF they decide to trade for a bat, they need to decide who they are willing to part with. Also, I was saying less valuable as in service time/contract. And the last part was me saying," That they (the calvary) can improve (the opposite of getting worse) and if they did improve (see prior explanation) we (the Orioles) are likely to keep them." Furthermore, you wouldn't want to trade good pitching because that is very hard to come by. And if you are to trade good pitching, you are hoping for more than Michael Morse's and such. I hope that cleared some things up and if not I will try again.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok now you're confusing me. I'm not saying to sell low at all. Again IF they decide to trade for a bat, they need to decide who they are willing to part with. Also, I was saying less valuable as in service time/contract. And the last part was me saying," That they (the calvary) can improve (the opposite of getting worse) and if they did improve (see prior explanation) we (the Orioles) are likely to keep them." Furthermore, you wouldn't want to trade good pitching because that is very hard to come by. And if you are to trade good pitching, you are hoping for more than Michael Morse's and such. I hope that cleared some things up and if not I will try again.

They have a pretty good idea of who they want to trade. There isn't a market. You don't make a market because you want it to happen.

If players improved, I agree it would be more likely that we might want to keep them. That's a pretty safe position.

I agree with you that I'd rather not give up much of anything for Morse. I'd rather not even give up Patton for him.

I just read thist too, but what's confusing is that in an earlier article Seattle isn't listed on his no trade list. Something doesn't add up...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/arizona-diamondbacks-justin-upton-trade-veto-power-071612

"Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton can block trades to four teams, major league sources told FOXSports.com: the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians and Chicago Cubs."

We can offer more than SEA, and who the heck wouldn't want to be an Oriole?

Not really. Seattle was "rumored" to be shopping King Felix at some point last year. The Os couldn't touch a package centered around him. And they've been pretty adamanent about not trading Machado and Bundy. Folks need to wake up and realize that the Jake Arrieta's and Brian Matusz's have very little trade value in the real world.

"Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton can block trades to four teams, major league sources told FOXSports.com: the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians and Chicago Cubs."

four teams on Justin Upton's updated no-trade list are the Mariners, Cubs, Blue Jays and Red Sox.

- MLBTR

The Mariners make perfect sense because the fences are so far back. Why the heck would he put CHC, TOR, and BOS on there though?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8833554/justin-upton-arizona-diamondbacks-rejects-proposed-trade-seattle-mariners-source-says

Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton used the no-trade clause in his contract to reject a proposed deal that would have sent him to the Seattle Mariners, a baseball source confirmed to ESPN.com.

Upton's decision was first reported by Foxsports.com and confirmed by the Arizona Republic, which reported that Seattle was ready to give up a "substantial package'' in exchange for the outfielder.

Texas, Baltimore, Atlanta and San Diego are among the other clubs that have been mentioned in trade speculation surrounding Upton, whose contract allows him to block deals to four teams -- Seattle, Toronto, Boston and the Chicago Cubs.

Could the Mariners be anymore unlucky? At least Baltimore isn't on the list. It seems like a very odd set of teams though.

Now that we know Arizona is doing everything possible to get him out of there, I wonder if this means his price will go down.

Archived