Rosenthal: O's made run at Upton? (Upton rejects trade to M's)

ChaosLex

The only way the O's get Upton is if the Diamondbacks price goes way down. I'm not saying the O's aren't a fit, I'm saying they aren't a fit if the price is high. We aren't trading Bundy or Machado. Right now I think that's what the Diamondbacks are asking for.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Report: Orioles made run at [insert player name] but they wanted Bundy. Orioles resisted. In other related news, Orioles signed [insert player name] from the Independent league today. In other related news, Peter Angelos bought a new estate in [insert exotic island].

Classic

I know this is heresy, but Id be calling the Marlins and asking who they need for Stanton (and yes I would trade Bundy for 23 y/o not even arb eligible Stanton)

It's not the Orioles' willingness to trade those guys that is the problem - it's the fact that the rest of baseball doesn't buy into them as prospects anymore based on their major league success (or lack thereof at this point).

Nobody wants Britton, Arrieta, or Matusz. They want Bundy.

Word is that those guys aren't being valued highy by other organizations enough, or DD is valuing them too highly. I guess you can choose which one to believe, but I'd rather not trade them for filler pieces.

Word is that those guys aren't being valued highy by other organizionas enough or DD is valuing them too highly. I guess you can choose which one to believe, but I'd rather not trade them for filler pieces.

If the Calvary doesn't improve this season, it won't matter how highly we value them.

If the Calvary doesn't improve this season, it won't matter how highly we value them.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. I think we can all agree that their value will be less if they don't improve. The point is what are they valued at now (by the organization and other teams) and where do we go with that? Do you have a position here? I know each pitcher/situation is different, but in general, I'd rather retain them another year and let our development guys work with them rather than trade them for filler pieces.

The only way the O's get Upton is if the Diamondbacks price goes way down. I'm not saying the O's aren't a fit, I'm saying they aren't a fit if the price is high. We aren't trading Bundy or Machado. Right now I think that's what the Diamondbacks are asking for.
If that happens TEX will get him before the O's. Forget Upton.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. I think we can all agree that their value will be less if they don't improve. The point is what are they valued at now (by the organization and other teams) and where do we go with that? Do you have a position here? I know each pitcher/situation is different, but in general, I'd rather retain them another year and let our development guys work with them rather than trade them for filler pieces.
Currenty they are worth more to the O's as depth than they are in trade.

My logic is the Orioles need to decide who we plan to keep/not keep. IF they want to make a trade for a bat, they need to decide quickly because with each passing season there value lessens. Now I understand that they can absolutely improve but in that case we are likely to keep them anyway.

My logic is the Orioles need to decide who we plan to keep/not keep. IF they want to make a trade for a bat, they need to decide quickly because with each passing season there value lessens. .

Still don't get it. The plan has been to trade surplus pitching for a bat. I'd guess we have a pretty good idea of what surplus pitchers we want to trade. Indications are the market for our surplus pitching isn't there. "Deciding quickly" doesn't change the market aad why would we sell low now on the fear they'll go lower? That doesn't make sense to me. I dont hink we need a "bat" that badly. Maybe the market will change for the better..and if it doesn't then it may be better to just keep the pitching.

Now I understand that they can absolutely improve but in that case we are likely to keep them anyway

I'm sorry, maybe somebody can make more sense out of this than I can.

Archived