Roch: Tigers covet Hardy

ChaosLex

If it brings any comfort at all, executive vice president Dan Duquette hasn't stopped trying to add a starting pitcher or a hitter for the middle of the lineup.

The effort is there. It's the results that are lacking.

Again, the Orioles aren't choosing to stand pat. They just haven't made a deal yet as we move into the second week of January. There's a difference.

I heard last night that the Tigers and Cubs are discussing a potential trade involving pitcher Rick Porcello, who also interests the Orioles. Not here's the rumored kicker: The Tigers are trying to get the Orioles involved because they want shortstop J.J. Hardy, and they don't feel as though the Cubs have the necessary components to make it a two-team trade.

For this to happen, the Cubs would have to send pitching to the Orioles as part of a three-way deal.

I still don't think the Orioles are willing to part with Hardy unless they're absolutely overwhelmed by an offer. They love the left side of their infield. They're not looking to shift Manny Machado to shortstop in 2013.

Also, since the Orioles have discussed Porcello, why would they need the Cubs to get involved? Just deal directly.

Anyway, that's the word on the street. We'll see what transpires.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/01/sifting-through-more-rumors.html

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any trade of Hardy should be step one of a three step plan with step two being to trade some of that haul and other players for a young third baseman and step three being to use the money saved on Hardy to overpay slightly on a free agent first baseman (Laroche). We aren't maximizing value playing Machado at third, this is the only reason Hardy should be traded.

Though I guess trading him for pitching could work if they think Saunders ends up elsewhere. I just don't see any free agent first basemen and I don't think Valencia is a starting third baseman, or is at least too much of a step down to merit such a trade.

I'm sorry, but what about Rick Porcello interests the Orioles? I'm looking at his numbers and i am just not seeing anything that i'd want. Especially if it costs JJ Hardy. Rather have Saunders back and still be able to keep Hardy then take on Porcello.

Look at his GB rate. Then look at the infield defense the Tigers had out there last season. Then look at his GB rate again.

I'm sorry, but what about Rick Porcello interests the Orioles? I'm looking at his numbers and i am just not seeing anything that i'd want. Especially if it costs JJ Hardy. Rather have Saunders back and still be able to keep Hardy then take on Porcello.

Average MLB starter (similar to Saunders) who could possibly improve since he is only 24 (same age as Tillman). He is cost-controlled for another three seasons. Porcello definitely has some value but he is not much more than an established #4 starter, albeit at arbitration rather than free agent prices.

Archived