Brian Roberts interview

wildcard

The real question to me is can he still hit a 93 mph fastball or has back + hip injuries and the normal aging process taken his bat speed away?

Honestly I am more concerned about his range on defense. It is easier to work around a black hole in the lineup then it is one in the infield.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And Shanahan believed RG3.

Athletes lie about their health constantly.

Do you honestly think there are not going to be negative, long term effects, after Hip Surgery when you are 35 years old?

Roberts was certainly very forthcoming all year last year about the struggles he had coming back from his concussions and how difficult that was. To the point where he was pretty pessimistic about it all spring and refused to look past the next day in terms of how things were coming along.

As for the potential long-term negative effects, no I'm not concerned about those. All I'm interested in is whether the hip can hold up for a couple months this summer. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But he deserves that opportunity.

I Believe In Miracles

[video=youtube;E3fX2_bxEkg]

I believe in miracles.

I believe in a better world for me and you.

Oh, I believe in miracles.

I believe in a better world for me and you.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GHbNxzi2vvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Honestly I am more concerned about his range on defense. It is easier to work around a black hole in the lineup then it is one in the infield.

If he can hit, he can DH. He doesn't have to play the field if he is below average. But can he hit well enough to hold a spot in the lineup?

I certainly don't expect the BRob of old, but the bar is pretty low for him and Cassila. I'd be surprised if between the two they don't do better than: .213 .273 .323 .596, with 5 out of 11 SB. Pretty sure Roberts does better all by himself. Certainly not going to SO 144 times, and I bet he gets more than 45 BB.

If he can hit, he can DH. He doesn't have to play the field if he is below average. But can he hit well enough to hold a spot in the lineup?
Can he hit better than Betemit/Reimold/Pearce/.Valencia? Otherwise why DH him? He has to hit well enough to justify his defense over Casilla's. I'd say. 650 OPS with a .330+ OBP should do it. His defense won't be what it was, but he's not going to be Betemit/Reynolds at 2B either.,

Can he hit better than Betemit/Reimold/Pearce/.Valencia? Otherwise why DH him? He has to hit well enough to justify his defense over Casilla's. I'd say. 650 OPS with a .330+ OBP should do it. His defense won't be what it was, but he's not going to be Betemit/Reynolds at 2B either.,

That's the questions. How well can he hit? How well can he field?

That will not be enough. If his lateral movement has been affected by the hip injury he may be able to hit but not field well enough to win the 2B job.

And if he can't play second base, then his bat needs to be even better to justify using him at DH. I'll be surprised if he gets 300 plate appearances this year. I won't be surprised if he gets 100 or fewer.

Roberts was certainly very forthcoming all year last year about the struggles he had coming back from his concussions and how difficult that was. To the point where he was pretty pessimistic about it all spring and refused to look past the next day in terms of how things were coming along.

As for the potential long-term negative effects, no I'm not concerned about those. All I'm interested in is whether the hip can hold up for a couple months this summer. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But he deserves that opportunity.

Baseball can be a cruel mistress (Did I really say that?). What someone deserves isn't relevant. The team comes first. It's like the Borg in Star Trek.

And if he can't play second base, then his bat needs to be even better to justify using him at DH. I'll be surprised if he gets 300 plate appearances this year. I won't be surprised if he gets 100 or fewer.

He has one season in his career with an OPS over 830. Even when he was young and healthy it is debatable if he had the bat to DH.

He has one season in his career with an OPS over 830. Even when he was young and healthy it is debatable if he had the bat to DH.

Of players who started at least 60 games at DH, the median OPS in 2012 was .787, in 2011 it was .765. Roberts had the bat to DH in his prime, though doubtful he does now.

Archived