Brian Roberts interview

wildcard

It might be.

I specifically used the Bundys as an example since I follow Dylan on Twitter and I know they didn't take much of a break.

I just can't consider any offseason that includes rehabbing from Hip surgery "normal".

Following the bundys on twitter must be like staying st a holiday inn express. It makes you capable of determining what is and what isn't a proper off season workout routine

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Following the bundys on twitter must be like staying st a holiday inn express. It makes you capable of determining what is and what isn't a proper off season workout routine

Did I say that other workout plans were in some way "improper"?

Pretty sure I didn't.

Pretty sure all I was doing was giving an example of players that do not take significant time off during the offseason before they ramp up their workouts. In no way did I state that such behavior was the norm.

Did I say that other workout plans were in some way "improper"?

Pretty sure I didn't.

Pretty sure all I was doing was giving an example of players that do not take significant time off during the offseason before they ramp up their workouts. In no way did I state that such behavior was the norm.

I guess if you don't start workouts and preparation until the middle of December you can call it normal. If you are someone that doesn't stop working, like the Bundys, then it wasn't a normal off-season.

It did appear that you were heavily implying that it isn't the norm. I don't know how to read that quote without gleaming an implication that Roberts is lazy. I understand that it is (quite literally) a semantic argument, but the use of "I guess" and comparing him to someone who "doesn't stop working" seems to carry a certain implication.

It did appear that you were heavily implying that it isn't the norm. I don't know how to read that quote without gleaming an implication that Roberts is lazy. I understand that it is (quite literally) a semantic argument, but the use of "I guess" and comparing him to someone who "doesn't stop working" seems to carry a certain implication.

I think Bundy is known for having a ridiculous work ethic.

I also think Roberts ordinarily does things in November that he couldn't do this offseason because of his rehab. There is a difference between working out and baseball activities.

I also think Roberts ordinarily does things in November that he couldn't do this offseason because of his rehab.

Interesting, I thought Roberts said that it was a totally normal off-season for him. Obviously, if you are correct then that isn't true.

BTW, I really enjoy and value these exchanges, I hope that you aren't offended when I question your implication. I find it interesting and helpful to parse people's word choices to find subtext.

I think Bundy is known for having a ridiculous work ethic.

I also think Roberts ordinarily does things in November that he couldn't do this offseason because of his rehab. There is a difference between working out and baseball activities.

Bundy is 19, I sure hope these awesome workouts are managed and monitored by the O's. Two points. One, what a 19 year old posts on twitter may not remotely resemble the truth. Two, I hope he is babying his arm a bit and not overdoing it. I hope the o's are prescribing what he does and doesn't do

Interesting, I thought Roberts said that it was a totally normal off-season for him. Obviously, if you are correct then that isn't true.

BTW, I really enjoy and value these exchanges, I hope that you aren't offended when I question your implication. I find it interesting and helpful to parse people's word choices to find subtext.

I will let you know if I am offended. ;)

I think Roberts is downplaying the surgery.

I probably think that because that is what I would be doing if I wanted to play this year.

Bundy is 19, I sure hope these awesome workouts are managed and monitored by the O's. Two points. One, what a 19 year old posts on twitter may not remotely resemble the truth. Two, I hope he is babying his arm a bit and not overdoing it. I hope the o's are prescribing what he does and doesn't do

I think since Hobgood and Bridwell are working out with him this offseason the O's know what he is up to.

As to Bundy's honesty...

Here he is at 14

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tP75ZTK5EcI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

July 2011

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YnWxiWT85lM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some DSD footage

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u0qTTmgkcZo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I will let you know if I am offended. ;)

I think Roberts is downplaying the surgery.

I probably think that because that is what I would be doing if I wanted to play this year.

Well, you are guessing when you say that. But we're all guessing when it comes to what BRob will look like in 2013.

Here's what we do know: 12 months ago, BRob didn't come to Fanfest because his doctors were worried about how he'd respond to the lights and noise. It was always pretty clear that BRob wasn't going to be ready to start the season, or if he was ever going to be able to play at all. He was very cautious and non-committal in all his public statements. In comparison, he certainly is saying he expects to be a full-go this spring and expects to be the OD second baseman. So, if nothing else his odds of contributing something this year seem better than they appeared to be last year at this time. For now, that's enough for me.

Well, you are guessing when you say that. But we're all guessing when it comes to what BRob will look like in 2013.

Of course. I am certainly not pretending to know these things with any certainty. Maybe the Hip Surgery Roberts had was not as invasive as they thought before they made the incision. Maybe his rehab was a breeze and there will not be significant aftereffects. I do know that Hip Surgery has substantially impacted other players.

Brittany Ghiroli ‏

Buck said it wouldn't be honest to say Roberts has had no health issues this winter. But he is working out.

Roch Kubatko ‏

Buck hinted that Brian Roberts hasn't gone all winter without health issue, but said Roberts is working out again

:scratchchinhmm:

Bit more detail from Brit:

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2013/01/17/roberts-gonzalez-hendrickson-offseason-rumblings/

*Second baseman Brian Roberts has been working out, although Showalter said he wouldn’t be completely honest if he said that Roberts has had no health setbacks this winter. There remains cautious optimism that he can stay healthy and help the club, but –as I’ve written before– there are contingency plans in place.

Archived