Brian Roberts interview

wildcard

Long before the concussion issue, and now the hip injury Brian was missing time due to a chronic back problem.

With just the back issue many (me included) were predicting that Brian was going to decline rapidly.

I hope the O's give 2B to the guy who earns it in Spring Training.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Long before the concussion issue, and now the hip injury Brian was missing time due to a chronic back problem.

With just the back issue many (me included) were predicting that Brian was going to decline rapidly.

No sure it was a "chronic" back issue, but yes he missed 90+ games with a back problem in 2010. He did play pretty well for two months after he came back, and we've never heard anything more about his back since then, so i hope that specific issue is behind him. But there's no question it's been one thing after another for the last three years.

Well, guess what prepare for disappointment. Short of Roberts' voluntary retirement or him being injured before the season starts or looking like he's completely overmatched, he's starting.

I'm in agreement with CoC for the most part. There is no way he could have been participating in a "normal" offseason after recovering from that type of surgery. Now, it may be more than he's done in the last three years, but really the bar is set fairly low for him at this point.

I hope he can come back but I'm not expecting much. On the other hand, for him and Casilla or Flaherty to outperform the production we got last year should not be difficult.

I apologize if this is a repost, but this seems seemed relevant to this thread. Not that it's anything we all didn't expect, but I think it's safe to say our 2b situation just got a whole lot sketchier.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3283/brian-roberts

Latest NewsRecent NewsOrioles manager Buck Showalter said that Brian Roberts (hip) has been dealing with setbacks this offseason.After undergoing season-ending surgery in August, the expectation is that Roberts will be medically cleared for spring training, but he remains a red flag injury risk going into 2013. Given his age and inability to stay healthy the past three seasons, he'll only be worth a flier in AL-only fantasy leagues, and should continue to be avoided in the majority of formats. Roberts, 35, has one year and $10 million remaining on his contract. Jan 17 - 1:00 PM

More on Roberts. Not exactly the rosy picture he painted in his radio interview:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/brian-roberts-has-suffered-setbacks-this-winter/#comments

Brian Roberts has suffered setbacks this winter

Craig Calcaterra

Jan 17, 2013, 1:21 PM EST

5 Comments

Getty Images

Back in August Brian Roberts underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip. But there?s a bit of bad news, reports Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com:

Second baseman Brian Roberts has been working out, although Showalter said he wouldn?t be completely honest if he said that Roberts has had no health setbacks this winter. There remains cautious optimism that he can stay healthy and help the club, but ?as I?ve written before? there are contingency plans in place.

Hoping the setbacks have to do with the hip and not something to do with the multiple concussions that caused him to miss so much time over the past three years. Either way, the poor guy seems to be snakebitten.

I feel for Brian. The mind is willing but at this point the body does not seem to be cooperating.

I think the O's are saying all the right things about Brian out of respect but are counting on him about as much as I count on powerball to pay my mortgage next month.

If Brian gives them anything than its a bonus. I think they show him enough respect to let him try to get into shape to show up at ST and make the team. If he cant then they will move right along with the other options they have.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/01/updating-roberts-and-the-wbc.html

Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts said he shut down for a few weeks over the holidays because he had "some minor stuff going on" related to his surgically repaired hip, but he's resumed his daily workouts and isn't experiencing any health issues.

I think we can safely say that Roberts hasn't been fully honest about his situation.

I'm not sure I agree. He's probably been honest with the organization. He doesn't have to tell the fans anything. It's not like we have the right to demand immediate knowledge about the hernia surgery.. as long as Buck and DD know, that's all that really matters.

I'm really not sure how he's been dishonest.

I agree he has no obligation to tell fans anything. He volunteered the information.

He said it was a normal offseason. A normal offseason does not include hernia surgery and having to take "a few weeks" off from workouts due to your surgically repaired hip flaring up.

Why would you hide a sports hernia from the media and the fans? It makes no sense. All Roberts does, as long as he's on the roster, is give Peter Angelos a false sense of security about 2b. He had a nice run, but I think it's time to hang up the spikes and switch over to the coaching side of things.

Why would you hide a sports hernia from the media and the fans? It makes no sense. All Roberts does, as long as he's on the roster, is give Peter Angelos a false sense of security about 2b. He had a nice run, but I think it's time to hang up the spikes and switch over to the coaching side of things.

The Hernia really doesn't bother me. Really common surgery and not something that is likely to come back up. Him having issues with the hip is another matter entirely.

I doubt that Brian Roberts gives anyone a sense of security, no matter how hard he tries to do so. I'm sure everyone wishes him all the best, but I can't imagine that anyone is ready to pencil him in for 150 games.

I agree he has no obligation to tell fans anything. He volunteered the information.

He said it was a normal offseason. A normal offseason does not include hernia surgery and having to take "a few weeks" off from workouts due to your surgically repaired hip flaring up.

That's a fact Jack.

Archived