HHP: Reporting from Fanfest

Frobby

Most interesting thing so far: someone asked Buck what he writes in that little black book. He makes notes of subtle little things done right or wrong, and has them put it on a tape from the video. The tape is sent weekly for the minor league players to watch to learn the fine points of the game. They also have an overhead camera where they tape the movement of the defense once the ball is hit so they can point out whether people went where they should. For example, on a ball to RF, the LF shouldn't just stand there, he should be running to back up 3B. So they'll show the tape to illustrate this. Great example, maybe the best I've heard, of how Buck's influence goes all the way down the minors. And when the O's make a good play, the players joke, "put it on the tape, Buck!"

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To clarify. Dan never gave an actual number. I gave the number and he did not wave me off. He did state that he had all the resources that he needed to make this team competetive in the AL East.
This statement is a far cry from this one: "Dan Duquette just told me that he had been allocated resources beyond 100 million dollars if needed."

Possibly because most of players in our areas of need(Swisher, LaRoche, Bourn, etc.) cost draft picks and weren't significant upgrades. Or maybe he just didn't see anything he liked. Having money doesn't mean you have to spend it right now.
Right, only Geinke and Hamilton would have met our needs as a FA TOR and a MOO. After that there were some decent additional pieces, but not at the cost in $$$ and picks, or too much of our pitching depth in trade. We could have traded for a MOO or TOR if we had been willing to give up Bundy or Machadp. The closest we came was trading for Dickey I have heard.

You would have had to hear how I ask the question and how he teased me about my thoughts and his body language during his answer. I stand by my initial statement. . I asked if he could spen 100 million. He indicated that he had that and whatever else he needed to be competetive.

An old guy says he's been an Oriole fan since the 1950s but never had an Orioles shirt. His wife got him one for Christmas and asked whose name he wanted on it. He loved Brooks and Cal but wanted a shirt for the next great Oriole player. He turns around and he's wearing a Jones 10 shirt.

Jones: "great move."

An old guy says he's been an Oriole fan since the 1950s but never had an Orioles shirt. His wife got him one for Christmas and asked whose name he wanted on it. He loved Brooks and Cal but wanted a shirt for the next great Oriole player. He turns around and he's wearing a Jones 10 shirt.

Good choice, but the next great Oriole player, if we can hold on to him, is Manny.

Was able to attend for a few hours. Great turnout. A steady stream of fans kept coming in. Absolutely jammed. Folks seemed very happy and there was a positive vibe for the coming season. In the morning session, Buck kept saying how he's looking forward to Reimold's contribution this year.

That's great!

Anybody there hear anything about contract negotiations (and potential extensions) with our current arbitration eligible players? I imagine O'Day will settle for one year because they're pretty close, but I hope they're talking multi-year contracts with JJ and Hammel (particularly Hammel).

Both are pretty far apart in what they submitted and players that I would like to see in Orioles uniforms for years. Conceding some 2013 salary (especially if we have payroll space to spare) may be a great way to buy out some of their FA years at below market value.

I would've liked to see them do the same thing with Wieters, but I can see tha value in waiting one more year.

Valencia: I was traded to Boston in August and you know how that was, it was an unbelievable mess. I'm really glad I'm here. Duquette called me while I was on my honeymoon and I said "Thank God...I'm really relieved."

I was traded while the Twins were in Boston so I just went from one clubhouses to the other. A lot of players said, "dude, you're in the wrong place." And I thought, "well, I'd love to go back, but I'm pretty sure I was traded."

Archived