HHP: Reporting from Fanfest

Frobby

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the following autographs on the bat I have hanging in my man cave: Dylan Bundy, Chris Tillman, L.J. Joes, Wayne Kirby, Nick Markakis, Steve Johnson, Ryan Minor, Darren O'Day, Manny Machado, Kevin Gausman, Brian Roberts, Zach Britton, Mike Devereaux and Lew Ford.

Booyah!

I interpreted Duquette's comments made at Fan Fest as the Orioles not really participating in paying for high-priced free agents. He emphasized that our best players were going to come from development and that we have allocated significant resources towards development and scouting. Our core players will get raises and significantly increase our payroll. I interpreted Duquette as basically dodging the question about the 100M payroll and answering in a way that emphasized we would be consistent in our approach in bringing up new players. I think at one point he even said we hope we have our #1 starter in Bundy or Gausman.

Personally highlight and funny moment for me was when someone asked Duquette and Showalter why we were considering trading JJ Hardy and Duquette responds... "Were Not!"

Arrieta: Robert E. Lee once said, the education of a man doesn't end until he dies.

Tillman: Learned its about the process, not always the results. You have to stay with the process. (Jake nods as Tillman says this).

Gonzo says he learned to be confident.

Hammel emphatically says his knee problem "is in the past" and he's at 100%.

I asked Adair if he thought Matusz's success in August and September was due to changes in mechanics or change in his role. He said if you watch Matusz's games he's often better in the first three innings.

Matusz later said that the difference was he got his confidence back, and that pitching so frequently helped him get into a groove.

Buck: my wife asked me, how come you can remember every pitch sequence from a game in 1990 but you can't find the car keys? I told her, that's what I have you for!

Dan is asked whether the analytics told the Orioles to use more shifts. Dan said Buck was the master of that. He used the analytics but it was Buck's decision. (more on this later)

Great reporting, guys! For all of you arguing we are doomed without Reynolds, he was worth a combined .4 WAR over the 2 years in Baltimore. I doubt very much that they are going to have a hard time replacing a guy who wasn't even worth a a half a win over two seasons.

Buck was talking about the players, and said that the players talk about their fellow MLBers and often say things along the lines of "So-and-so is a really good player, but really wouldn't fit in here because he doesn't do so-and-so", or "he doesn't like playing a certain way."

Jim Thome still has stuff in his locker, including a Cleveland Indians jersey.

JJHardy had a "Best New Oriole" crystal trophy on top of his locker, and a JJ Hardy tribute poster framed at the bottom of his locker.

A bunch of players had Frank Robinson statues on top of their lockers.

Ryan Flaherty had what looked like a book about Antiques in his locker, along with a signed note, but I really couldn't tell for sure, as my eyesight stinks and I wasn't wearing my glasses.

Matt Wieters has what seems to be a dozen p airs of shoes in his locker.

As usual, I have no idea how to post pictures to here, so I have posted 20-odd pictures from Fanfest on my Facebook page, it is Carl Lamy. I use the same avatar there as I use here. Sorry about some of the pictures being fuzzy, my camera is a cheap piece of junk and I was taking the pictures on the fly.

I got there right around 2:00, so I didn't get to see or hear as much as some others. I made the mistake going upstairs when I got in, which was complete and utter INSANITY. Between the autograph line for the kids, the room to buy the merchandise, and the giveaway room, you could hardly move at all. I was able to stand in on the forum with the young guns (Avery, Bundy, Manny, Schoop, and LJ). I have to say, the whole thing kind of looked painful for those guys. They all seemed kind of embarrassed to be up there, Manny especially. Every question he was asked he'd put his head down for a second with his eyes closed, smile, and then slowly answer the question. The sound wasn't loud enough as is, so I had a hard time hearing their responses. He didn't have much to say, but folks, Dylan Bundy looks like a beast. I somehow wouldn't be shocked if he and Chris Davis are some how related, because he is a big guy for his age. Nothing overwhelming or ground breaking from this forum, but I root for the guys, and the one question Manny got was funny. Little kid, not sure how old, asked him what he was doing to improve his batting average. Got a good chuckle from Manny and the crowd. He asked the kid how old they were, pretty funny.

I ended up in the 4:40 autograph line with Roberts, Ford, Britton, and Mike Devereaux. Told Brian we missed him being there last season and was glad he was there, and told Devo that my youth was spent watching him in center field. Not sure if that made him feel old or not, but it feels good to see guys like him back. Sat in on the forum with the minor league pitchers (Gausman, Clark, Wright, and Mike B. we acquired from Arizona). Again, nothing overwhelming, they all sounded like very likable guys, and even though he was never a prospect and probably wouldn't stick in the big leagues, as a UMBC alumni I root for Zach Clark. After that my dad and I went to the giveaway line and they were giving two bags to each person, so we both ended up with Frank Robinson statues, a canteen, some sort of Orioles kid truck, and some of the orange BUCKLE UP towels from Game 1 of the ALDS. I kind of wish they had the white ones because I liked them better, but I have to say, those were some really sweet giveaways.

All in all even though I got there later in the day, I could feel the energy. The crowd was as large as those I can recall back in the late 1990's and early 2000's, and the whole vibe felt completely different from last season. Last year people were so down and depressed with no thought at all that they would amount to anything. This year was totally different, and while I think most people have guarded optimism, things definitely felt more optimistic than at any point I can remember. All in all like always it was a good event, and it goes without saying that it is amazing what winning can do for people, because that was reflected in the increase in the crowd size.

What I also felt, and took away from the event, that today was the final moment to relive and enjoy the run of last season, because the work is about to begin in earnest again. I know some will say that we've had a whole offseason to kick start that, but to me, the fan base has still been reminiscing about the whole thing throughout, which is great and understandable. But, all that is officially over, and it's time to get down to business and work, and those sentiments were definitely felt when listening to the players today.

This is my third trip to the Orioles FanFest except this time... It was my first time getting autograph from the regular session. My first time was at kiddie autograph session a few years ago anyway. I was soooo EXCITED getting Manny Machado's autograph---Even some fans in the line thought my neighbor is planning get Machado's autograph on my signed Ray Lewis full replica helmet. -_____-' Just no. This is a great birthday present!

Edited: I'm glad that I had season holder tickets because I could get in the convention that EARLY. It's just that I can't stand the massive crowd at noon. X.x' And I'm glad that I got a lot of things I wanted before they sold out later in the day.

Most interesting thing so far: someone asked Buck what he writes in that little black book. He makes notes of subtle little things done right or wrong, and has them put it on a tape from the video. The tape is sent weekly for the minor league players to watch to learn the fine points of the game. They also have an overhead camera where they tape the movement of the defense once the ball is hit so they can point out whether people went where they should. For example, on a ball to RF, the LF shouldn't just stand there, he should be running to back up 3B. So they'll show the tape to illustrate this. Great example, maybe the best I've heard, of how Buck's influence goes all the way down the minors. And when the O's make a good play, the players joke, "put it on the tape, Buck!"

I'm just now, 8:00 pm getting thru this thread, with the 4 Earl news... and guys, THANK YOU for the updates! All of you.

To your post here Frobby, like the great play by Manny throwing behind the runner at third. That doesn't happen if JJ Hardy is lollygagging around SS. EVERYONE, all 9, have a role in EVERY play on the field. Hate to give a skank credit but like the Jeter shuttle pass to the catcher a few years ago in the World Series... it never happens or very rarely happens but you ALWAYS have to be in position IN CASE it happens!

Quality contribution Tx:rolleyes: there is no way this team is better. If you want to drink the koolaid fine. Dont expect me to do the same. Im not buying that DD has the resources to improvement the club... but instead chose dumster diving. The Orioles wont finish. 500 this year. Dropping Reynolds after a bad year was fine if you had a replacement lined up. But DD thought

e could get bat for trash. But hes resorted to dumster diving for injury plagued players and independent league signees. You guys will say they found Gonzalez that way. But you can't expect to catch last lighting over and over.

Okay but what if the team has a good year? Is that impossible? I am sorry. I didn't mean to down on you.

Nick was asked what was going through his mind when he got hit by CC Sabathia. (just a guess: "ouch, that hurts like a ..."). Nick paused and said, "well, I'm pretty sure that CC will play for New York for several more years and I'll see him a few more times...". I got the clear impression he thinks CC was throwing at him.

Later, a fan started a question with, "you know how much we Oriole fans hate the Yankees...". Nick responds, "I hate the Yankees probably just as much as you do!"

Nick says of Buck's extension, "hopefully I and some others will be here for the next five years."

I hope so too, Nick.

Nick's two statement about the Yankees were the quotes of the day for me. Great express with both quotes.

Archived